What's going on with ESPN and the NFL?

First of all, I'm sorry if I was supposed to put this another forum. Move it if necessary.

I remember just a few years ago I would constantly see NFL coverage all over ESPN. NFL live was on like every day twice a day. They'd have a fantasy stuff. And on SportsCenter they would always have lots a lot of the NFL and now have very little coverage.

I don't watch as much TV as I used to, mainly because I'm busier. So, maybe my perspective is off. But even ESPN radio stations feel the same way.

Is the big shakeup that happened at ESPN over the last year connected with the disintegrating relationship with the NFL? Or am I just imagining all of this?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate this term honestly. People act like they're not paying the cable company, when most people get their high-speed internet from...the cable company.

Just a pet peeve. Carry on with the thread.

That's exactly why I'm not a cord cutter.

I hate this term honestly. People act like they're not paying the cable company, when most people get their high-speed internet from...the cable company.

I cut every cord to the house except for power and water.

I use my phone's hotspot. $118 a month for unlimited unthrottled Verizon because I am God

They are showing a lot of different sports now as well, changing from all NFL all the time to something with broader appeal. For example Saturdays and Sundays they carry a lot of live English Premier League football (soccer) games, and during the week you will see games from the Italian, Spanish, and German leagues as well as international competitions.

Everything evolves. When I was growing up there wasn't an ESPN or an MTV. One of them is already irrelevant and ESPN is in a race to become the next to fall. The people running the network have lost sight of their mission statement...and it shows in the product.

McDonalds shouldn't try to sell salads, MTV should have stuck to music, and ESPN shoutgo back to covering sports!

A lot of old men yelling at clouds here, as it always is when ESPN comes up.

Things change. They can't just run highlights for 10 hours a day anymore, you can get all the highlights you care about on demand in less than 10 minutes. There's a segment of the audience that loves the Stephen A. hot takery, I've never gotten it but it does well. If you want your old school bland sports talk show, Mike & Mike still crank it out daily.

Maybe ESPN is tired of giving the NFL hours of advertising and millions (billions) of dollars for garbage Monday night football games. Maybe interest in the NFL is declining precipitously and ESPN is trying to appeal to a broader audience. Want NFL coverage? Watch NFL net, they've been doing a better job than ESPN for almost a decade at this point. It's an on demand society, there's a podcast out there for any in-depth individual topic one may want able to be downloaded and listened to whenever your time allows. The belief that Espn should air non-stop highlights while two guys crack bad jokes is incredibly out of touch.

ESPN is a shell of what it once was. complete mismanagement by disney who also owns ABC. we want to watch sports so we don't have to think about life issues and politics and it seems like that's all they want to cover these days

Ding Ding Ding...another winner.

I have a great topic 4 people can debate for 15 mintues... Colin Kapernick

I understand your peeve for the phrase but it is referring to tv and not internet service. It's pretty rare to get internet from a provider that is not the cable company that is high speed (unless you're one of the lucky people with fiber or on a green light network).

A lot of old men yelling at clouds here, as it always is when ESPN comes up.

Things change. They can't just run highlights for 10 hours a day anymore, you can get all the highlights you care about on demand in less than 10 minutes. There's a segment of the audience that loves the Stephen A. hot takery, I've never gotten it but it does well. If you want your old school bland sports talk show, Mike & Mike still crank it out daily.

Maybe ESPN is tired of giving the NFL hours of advertising and millions (billions) of dollars for garbage Monday night football games. Maybe interest in the NFL is declining precipitously and ESPN is trying to appeal to a broader audience. Want NFL coverage? Watch NFL net, they've been doing a better job than ESPN for almost a decade at this point. It's an on demand society, there's a podcast out there for any in-depth individual topic one may want able to be downloaded and listened to whenever your time allows. The belief that Espn should air non-stop highlights while two guys crack bad jokes is incredibly out of touch.

Maybe. But my understanding is ratings are down. So they are alienating old fans and not attracting young fans.

Maybe. But my understanding is ratings are down. So they are alienating old fans and not attracting young fans.

That's operating under the assumption that ESPN is proactive instead of reactive. They aren't. Ratings were declining when they were still in the "good old days" people are yearning for here. Bottom line, the internet and social media has changed everything, if something spectacular happens, twitter or an other form of media let you know and watch it immediately after it happened. The days of people in New York not seeing what happened in Miami until the 11 o'clock SportsCenter are long gone and not coming back.

Rating are way down.

Disney, I mean... come on.

And they decided to allow politics to permeate the coverage and have shown their bias for "lefty ideals", illustrated with the Ditka/Hill double standard. People want sports not politics from ESPN. Plus, Conservatives watch sports too.

And that disgusting Hank mashup on Mondays isn't going to help their cause as much as they thought it would. Who'd have thunk that country and rap/autotune stuff sounds terrible together... oh, yeah, everyone except ESPN apparently.

And chuck wagon- I don't think anybody is "pining for the good old days", but it's obvious espn has gone awry. For me at least, it's an observation, not a gripe or complaint. It is what it is. Companies sometime run themselves into the ground, something espn is doing a fine job at currently.