Brian Cushing Suspended 10 Games for PEDs

Big C

My brother played D1 baseball. Didn't take anything, not even protein shakes. Guy he grew up with was taking HGH and probably other things. My brother was a better player but the other guy was drafted based on intangibles (size, strength) and perceived higher ceiling. Neither made it to the big leagues but is it fair that this other guy who was cheating got drafted and my brother didn't? Should my brother have taken steroids? Now you are on a slippery slope where you are basically telling kids if you want to make it you have to juice. A-Rod is remembered as an A-hole for cheating but he has $500 million is his bank account so it worked out well for him if you ask me.

My brother played D1 baseball. Didn't take anything, not even protein shakes. Guy he grew up with was taking HGH and probably other things. My brother was a better player but the other guy was drafted based on intangibles (size, strength) and perceived higher ceiling. Neither made it to the big leagues but is it fair that this other guy who was cheating got drafted and my brother didn't? Should my brother have taken steroids? Now you are on a slippery slope where you are basically telling kids if you want to make it you have to juice. A-Rod is remembered as an A-hole for cheating but he has $500 million is his bank account so it worked out well for him if you ask me.

They can open it up to steroids, for all I care. Just close the record books first.

That's my argument for taking. I get that it is cheating and dirty but the opportunity would be too much for me to pass up. I fault no one. I won't sing their praises but I get it.

And I'll keep harping on this. Does anyone else see the the striking correlation between prevalence of CTE in players since the steroid era? Why wasn't this as big an issue for players who played in 50s & 60s?
........ Ah.. Ever hear of John Mackey?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

They can open it up to steroids, for all I care. Just close the record books first.

They would regret it when players start having kidney failure or drop dead among other crazy side effects (roid rage and depression, shriveled testicles, breasts, acne). If it's going to be on the honor system but steroids are still illegal in the US there's going to be issues like any other drug where you are dealing with shady drug dealers and who knows what they are selling you. Not to mention there's certain protocol you have to follow when taking it and a teenager or young person might not do it correctly and have issues. Also steroids are super expensive. Like thousands of dollars per month. Where are young people going to get the cash? Then you run into issues with boosters giving them money for roids or kids stealing or getting in deep with drug lords over money. Too many things can go wrong. It's like opening a can of worms. Steroids are illegal for a reason imo

The only enjoyment I get out of steroid users is looking back at that season in 99' where Pedro went 23-4 with a 2.07 ERA when everyone was hitting 50+ bombs. One of the greatest performances in all of sports, a small redemption story for many folks who never juiced and let their dreams die instead of cheat.

........ Ah.. Ever hear of John Mackey? Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

John Mackey and a few peers from his era, compared to many many more players from 70's on, with an especially high count of players from the '80s and '90s. Why has there been an explosion of CTE cases in WWE but not in soccer? Which sport has more repeated blows to the head?

Because they're all walking around in circles talking to themselves and eating scrambled eggs through a straw?

Methinks that is somewhat of an exaggeration. There is difficulty there though, in that many of those guys have already passed.

I'd also say that from the NFL side of things, the use of a variety of PEDs, has contributed to guys being bigger/stronger/faster, which has inevitably meant that collisions have become harder. Harder collisions will pretty much equal enhanced risk of trouble. Alongside how much PEDs have 'enhanced' players strength, speed and size, there is almost certainly no comparative increase,in the body's ability to absorb the extra punishment that will result in.

Tbh, I'm almost more surprised that Cushing got caught, than anything else, as while the NFL may have state of the art facilities for analyzing tests, the way they go about getting the tests done, is so poor, you have probably got to try quite hard to fail them.

I know friends who were told to get on the steroid program by their MLB General Manager.

I know friends who were told to get on the steroid program by their MLB General Manager.

I believe it. They probably have it down to a science by now so players will never get caught. Looking back we were foolish to think he had a shot without doing it!

Kuechly??

Has he even played in 20 games?

Gugs, I know a Hall of famer when I see one... my eyes don't lie. I was calling his destiny before he was drafted, I had a huge meltdown on BBMB when Carolina robbed us of our destiny and now that Beane and McD are here hopefully they will find a way to right that wrong.

Gugs, I know a Hall of famer when I see one... my eyes don't lie. I was calling his destiny before he was drafted, I had a huge meltdown on BBMB when Carolina robbed us of our destiny and now that Beane and McD are here hopefully they will find a way to right that wrong.

I was exaggerating with my "20 games" comment. But common man, he's only played 5 seasons - two of which were abbreviated.

One more hit to the head and his destiny is Randle McMurphy walking back from his lobotomy.

So did I, and they did. Thing is you still need to have talent to play baseball. Being strong only goes so far, you still need a foundation, steroids enhance, they don't create.

The only enjoyment I get out of steroid users is looking back at that season in 99' where Pedro went 23-4 with a 2.07 ERA when everyone was hitting 50+ bombs. One of the greatest performances in all of sports, a small redemption story for many folks who never juiced and let their dreams die instead of cheat.

Are we sure Pedro wasn't juicing? Don Zimmer might think he had some roid rage issues :lol:

John Mackey and a few peers from his era, compared to many many more players from 70's on, with an especially high count of players from the '80s and '90s. Why has there been an explosion of CTE cases in WWE but not in soccer? Which sport has more repeated blows to the head?

WWE has more repeated blows to the head than Soccer but Soccer especially youth soccer have taken steps. I ref HS Soccer and many kids wear a head device that has padding on it. I think CTE has exploded because we look for it now. I remember getting knocked out cold during a soccer game and leaving for a couple of minutes. Now protocol is to have them not return until evaluated by a medical professional. I do agree with the idea that bigger, stronger, faster, means harder collisions which leads to more injuries in general.

And I'll keep harping on this. Does anyone else see the the striking correlation between prevalence of CTE in players since the steroid era? Why wasn't this as big an issue for players who played in 50s & 60s?

I see that also. The bigger and faster the players, the more violent the collisions. Advanced helmets can only protect so much.

That's why the penalties need to be stiffer. 2 strikes and your out. Cushing should be BANNED from the NFL.

A friend of mine was drafted in the 15th round as a pitcher. He never used roids but plenty of D1 players were juicing.

It's a miracle he was drafted because he was 5'9... but has a 95mph heater

Like thousands of dollars per month. Where are young people going to get the cash? Then you run into issues with boosters giving them money for roids or kids stealing or getting in deep with drug lords over money. Too many things can go wrong. It's like opening a can of worms.

What kinds of worms do you have in your neck of the woods?

I was exaggerating with my "20 games" comment. But common man, he's only played 5 seasons - two of which were abbreviated.

One more hit to the head and his destiny is Randle McMurphy walking back from his lobotomy.

I fear for his safety, however, thankfully he is a poster child of the NFL. If you do right by the NFL then most likely you'll be seeing a jacket in your future. Watt is also on that path.

???? How can you say no HOF for Kuechly or Watt? Innocent until proven guilty and I know Kuechly isn't roiding.

I don't think Kuechly is close to worthy even with the roids, and no, Watt would not get my vote. I wouldn't have voted for Lyle Alzado or John Matuszak either.

Edited by Rico