Article: "If the Bills Aren't Tanking, What Are They Doing?&#3

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The opportunity to tank left the building when Rex was fired. You aren't going to intentionally tank a season in the first year of the head coach who you want to be here for a long time. That would leave everyone with a bad taste in their mouths - players and fans alike.

I can't believe this is so hard for so many to grasp.

It's obvious that this team is rebuilding (only six drafted players remain from the previous front office) while simultaneously leaving the foundation of veteran leadership (Kyle, Lorenzo, Wood, Shady, Tolbert, Dimarco, Incognito, Ducasse, etc.) who all fit the criteria of what Beane and McDermott want to establish within the organization.

Since when does a team have to tank in order to rebuild? Can you honestly establish a winning culture by purposely trying to lose in Year #1?

People continue to overrate draft position with regard to landing a franchise quarterback. If we've learned anything over the decades, it's that no one can predict how a quarterback performs in the NFL. It's a complete and utter crap shoot.

So be as good as you can be this season and use both first-round picks on quarterbacks even if they're only the third and fourth best in the class. Because no one really knows.

Then let those two and Peterman battle it out throughout the entire 2018 offseason and preseason and pick one. If he's successful, trade the other one.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Trading/releasing good young football players for average ones?

Not sure.

Lordy, are you ever repetitive. Can you ever have a different post than" I hate what McBeane is doing, they are idiots"

We get it, we don't need to see it in EVERY SINGLE THREAD

Guest NeckBeard

The opportunity to tank left the building when Rex was fired. You aren't going to intentionally tank a season in the first year of the head coach who you want to be here for a long time. That would leave everyone with a bad taste in their mouths - players and fans alike.

It's obvious that this team is rebuilding (only six drafted players remain from the previous front office) while simultaneously leaving the foundation of veteran leadership (Kyle, Lorenzo, Wood, Shady, Tolbert, Dimarco, Incognito, Ducasse, etc.) who all fit the criteria of what Beane and McDermott want to establish within the organization.

Since when does a team have to tank in order to rebuild? Can you honestly establish a winning culture by purposely trying to lose in Year #1?

Well, Wayne, I agree that I don't think they are tanking (and instead are rebuilding), but I disagree that if they were tanking that the players would care.

Why? Because those players would already be gone, and possibly to better opportunities. Also it doesn't matter what the fans think. Bills' fans have shown the stunning ability to buy a bunch of tickets and other merchandise during this very lengthy "dry spell".

Well, Wayne, I agree that I don't think they are tanking (and instead are rebuilding), but I disagree that if they were tanking that the players would care.

Why? Because those players would already be gone, and possibly to better opportunities. Also it doesn't matter what the fans think. Bills' fans have shown the stunning ability to buy a bunch of tickets and other merchandise during this very lengthy "dry spell".

You'd still have 53 players on the roster who are thinking, "What the hell am I doing here?" Each player who is naturally competitive and enjoys the pursuit of winning would certainly care.

I really doubt the Jets locker room is a great place to be right now and a breeding ground of a championship attitude.

And if you really believe that "it doesn't matter what the fans think" then I'm afraid you haven't a clue.

Lorenzo is 34

Incognito is 34

Williams is 34

Wood is 31

Tolbert is 31

McCoy is 29

DiMarco is 28

How does keeping these guys help rebuild the team when you are going to replace all of them in the next couple of years? Opie and the Beane have devastated the young talent on this team. I don't care how many draft choices they have next season.

Guest NeckBeard

You'd still have 53 players on the roster who are thinking, "What the hell am I doing here?" Each player who is naturally competitive and enjoys the pursuit of winning would certainly care.

I really doubt the Jets locker room is a great place to be right now and a breeding ground of a championship attitude.

And if you really believe that "it doesn't matter what the fans think" then I'm afraid you haven't a clue.

Tell me what great feat Bills' fans have achieved in 17 years that has lead to a winning culture, and a winning team.

Lorenzo is 34

Incognito is 34

Williams is 34

Wood is 31

Tolbert is 31

McCoy is 29

DiMarco is 28

How does keeping these guys help rebuild the team when you are going to replace all of them in the next couple of years? Opie and the Beane have devastated the young talent on this team. I don't care how many draft choices they have next season.

They have two young safeties, two young CBS, a young MLB, relatively young at DE, young WRs. They did not devastate the young talent on the team and it's time to cut down on the hysterical stuff and calmly look at things.

If you talk about young talent that is no longer here, the decisions reached by Beane and McD involve Sammy, Darby, Ragland, Seymour, and J Will. Sammy I would not have done, but others have highlighted why that was done. Darby maybe, but maybe not as good as we thought. The others were a 5th or 6th Cb, a third string LB, and a backup RB who cleared waivers. None of the last three are that big a deal.

The keeping of veterans is simple: it gives them their best team for right now, and they can clear out salary and space for younger guys going forward. The new guys want to be smart about managing the cap, and they will have draft picks to use either to move up if they want for a QB or to upgrade positions. I'll be interested down the road to see where they think it's beneficial to spend salary money.

Finally to say one doesn't care about them having draft picks is simply dumb. Teams get built through the draft. The success of the current management team will sink or swim in drafts. Beane has put together a pretty impressive staff so hopefully they will do well on that score.

Lorenzo is 34

Incognito is 34

Williams is 34

Wood is 31

Tolbert is 31

McCoy is 29

DiMarco is 28

By giving the young guys role models within the locker room to show them the way. These guys also happen to be the best players on the team.

No, they have not "devastated" the young talent on the team. That's ridiculous and more drama queen ranting.

Trading/releasing good young football players for average ones?

Not sure.

Over rated, over hyped by Bills fans, type players. Players that never lives up to hype or draft status.

Great trades to get something for them and get them off the roster.

My only issue is an old saying if you will "you can't serve two masters"

IF Beane had come in with , or ahead, of McDermott, this roster would have been fully purged. I expect it to be next offseason

By giving the young guys role models within the locker room to show them the way. These guys also happen to be the best players on the team.

No, they have not "devastated" the young talent on the team. That's ridiculous and more drama queen ranting.

They have two young safeties, two young CBS, a young MLB, relatively young at DE, young WRs. They did not devastate the young talent on the team and it's time to cut down on the hysterical stuff and calmly look at things.

If you talk about young talent that is no longer here, the decisions reached by Beane and McD involve Sammy, Darby, Ragland, Seymour, and J Will. Sammy I would not have done, but others have highlighted why that was done. Darby maybe, but maybe not as good as we thought. The others were a 5th or 6th Cb, a third string LB, and a backup RB who cleared waivers. None of the last three are that big a deal.

The keeping of veterans is simple: it gives them their best team for right now, and they can clear out salary and space for younger guys going forward. The new guys want to be smart about managing the cap, and they will have draft picks to use either to move up if they want for a QB or to upgrade positions. I'll be interested down the road to see where they think it's beneficial to spend salary money.

Finally to say one doesn't care about them having draft picks is simply dumb. Teams get built through the draft. The success of the current management team will sink or swim in drafts. Beane has put together a pretty impressive staff so hopefully they will do well on that score.

All right, I'll say it calmly: They have put themselves in a hole that they are going to have to get out of by drafting with a degree of success that few if any teams have mustered consistently. They are going to have more holes to fill than they have draft choices to fill them. This season, if not a tank, is an extended tryout. If I were Kyle Williams, I would figure that my chances of ever seeing a playoff game in my career were materially reduced by the moves made by McDermott and Beane. Of course we will see how brilliant these guys are. I don't see any objective sign that their staff is "impressive."

Caught in the middle of 'attempting to win' vs 'rebuilding'. Also, obligatory side note: I still hate Rodak.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/28929/if-the-bills-are-not-tanking-what-exactly-are-they-doing

Rodak doesn't have a clue. What I have seen so far is the Bills re-tooling the roster to fit the style of play of a new coach. It has nothing to do with "tanking". It's building the roster for this year and beyond to fit a certain style of play. How that works out remains to be seen, but this team is not "tanking" anything. Doesn't fit the profile of our HC. It is in fact a ridiculous notion.

All right, I'll say it calmly: They have put themselves in a hole that they are going to have to get out of by drafting with a degree of success that few if any teams have mustered consistently. They are going to have more holes to fill than they have draft choices to fill them. This season, if not a tank, is an extended tryout. If I were Kyle Williams, I would figure that my chances of ever seeing a playoff game in my career were materially reduced by the moves made by McDermott and Beane. Of course we will see how brilliant these guys are. I don't see any objective sign that their staff is "impressive."

The people Beae has brought on are highly regarded. Several have been mentioned as potential GM candidates themselves. Yes they have to hit on draft picks. No there are not more holes than picks unless you believe they have to turn things over in one year.

The current front office didn't create this hole. The previous one did.

So in order to be successful, this front office and coaching staff are going to have to draft well?

9b3.png

Rodak doesn't have a clue. What I have seen so far is the Bills re-tooling the roster to fit the style of play of a new coach. It has nothing to do with "tanking". It's building the roster for this year and beyond to fit a certain style of play. How that works out remains to be seen, but this team is not "tanking" anything. Doesn't fit the profile of our HC. It is in fact a ridiculous notion.

Exactly.

Seems like they're evaluating their linemen. If they have the guys who can win a SB or just a bunch of athletes who can't be consistent enough to win. Changed all of the DB's and receivers and left the lines the same. I bet next year they'll draft more lineman then expected. DT's and LG, maybe even a LT and make Glenn the RT next year. And should make Dawkins the RG next year.

What young talent was devastated?

Watkins for Gaines? They are the same age Plus we got a 2nd rounder

Darby for Matthews? Same age Plus we got a 3rd rounder

Seymour for Klay? Same age, Seymour was a JAG and we traded him for another JAG

Jwill?? If you want to call him a talent, fine. But he wasn't considered to be much of a talent from both the Bills perspective and virtually every other team in the NFL.

Ragland for a 4th rounder? Ragland may or may not end up being a good player but he certainly wasn't as good of a fit for 4-3 than a 3-4 and he is coming off of major knee surgery which you would think makes him an even worse fit for a 4-3 LB. He was traded to KC and now been taken off the active roster so clearly he isn't viewed as ready at this point.

So what is this talent that has been "devastated" that you speak of? Because the facts say that the moves that have been made, will bring in more young people than what was already here.

Edited by Magox

Typical #'s as some "older guys have fewer yrs in the league
Ages - 30 to 34
10 w/ 8 to 12 yrs exp
Ages - 27 to 29
17 w/ 6 to 9 yrs exp
Ages - 22 to 26
26 w/ 0 to 5 yrs exp
The majority of this team in new blood or guys getting into or in their prime.

....looks like a pretty favorable mix to me......

What young talent was devastated?

Watkins for Gaines? They are the same age Plus we got a 2nd rounder

Darby for Matthews? Same age Plus we got a 3rd rounder

Seymour for Klay? Same age, Seymour was a JAG and we traded him for another JAG

Jwill?? If you want to call him a talent, fine. But he wasn't considered to be much of a talent from both the Bills perspective and virtually every other team in the NFL.

Ragland for a 4th rounder? Ragland may or may not end up being a good player but he certainly wasn't as good of a fit for 4-3 than a 3-4 and he is coming off of major knee surgery which you would think makes him an even worse fit for a 4-3 LB. He was traded to KC and now been taken off the active roster so clearly he isn't viewed as ready at this point.

So what is this talent that has been "devastated" that you speak of? Because the facts say that the moves that have been made, will bring in more young people than what was already here.

Been saying this for quite a while now but facts don't get in the way of some opinions, I guess.

Assuming Sammy regains his health, I think we'll regret that one. Otherwise the moves Beane and McD have made are not gutting the team of young talent.

People continue to overrate draft position with regard to landing a franchise quarterback. If we've learned anything over the decades, it's that no one can predict how a quarterback performs in the NFL. It's a complete and utter crap shoot.

So be as good as you can be this season and use both first-round picks on quarterbacks even if they're only the third and fourth best in the class. Because no one really knows.

Then let those two and Peterman battle it out throughout the entire 2018 offseason and preseason and pick one. If he's successful, trade the other one.

We could learn that lesson from Washington. They had "flash in the pan" rg3, and once he fizzled, the only thing keeping them competitive, to this day is the second qb they drafted that year.

That's precisely what Rodak said. Not a tank. Retooling for the scheme and mentality of the new regime. Trying to win now but also looking toward the future. It makes sense from where the Bills were when McD took over. It's how I also see it and I'm good with the approach.

Trading Sammy and keeping Ducasse are the moves that irritate me the most.

I have no idea if this regime will succeed, but I'm pretty sure it will all come down to whether they end up with a franchise qb or not.

The rest of the team matters, of course, but qb is the engine for long term playoff success.

Trading Sammy and keeping Ducasse are the moves that irritate me the most.

I have no idea if this regime will succeed, but I'm pretty sure it will all come down to whether they end up with a franchise qb or not.

The rest of the team matters, of course, but qb is the engine for long term playoff success.

I like Sammy, but when you look back.... He isn't an OBJ :sick: I just puked in my mouth typing that

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

+ 1

Many are so shortsighted to see the obvious. It'll take a couple years to get a 3-5 year window for success.

Edited by Fred Marchibroda

Whaley traded Watkins?

The cap situation (due to garbage contracts like Dareus received, for example) prevented this team from giving Sammy the whopping contract extension that he would have demanded after this season. Therefore, 2017 was undoubtedly going to be his last season in Buffalo.

What would be the point of turning down a 2nd round pick to keep him on the team solely for this season? Was this team in position to win the Super Bowl even if Sammy was 100% healthy the entire season (which has never happened in his career, btw)?

As for the popular notion "the season is over now that Sammy is gone" - what was Buffalo's record in 2016 with Sammy vs. without him?