Hurricane Irma General: Potential NFL Impacts (Updated!)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no Spaghetti tracks that have landfall in US except 1 and that is in North Carolina.

But way way to eary

If you say that enough it will become true! Or as usual we need to do a quick google fact check on what MajorBobby says.

Take it with a grain of salt but this from a few of my friends that work at the weather channel and from my other friend who created some lame search engine called google.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/weather.com/amp/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-us-forecast-challenge-1sep17.html

One spaghetti track!?!

Edited by Commonsense

If you say that enough it will become true! Or as usual we need to do a quick google fact check on what MajorBobby says.

Take it with a grain of salt but this from a few of my friends that work at the weather channel and from my other friend who created some lame search engine called google.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/weather.com/amp/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-us-forecast-challenge-1sep17.html

One spaghetti track!?!

Yeah try NOAA. You know the official hurricane trackers

http://spaghettimodels.com

Wont know anything really until Wed or Thurs

Edited by MAJBobby

Yeah try NOAA. You know the official hurricane trackers

http://spaghettimodels.com

Wont know anything really until Wed or Thurs

Here's the latest NOAA they have 3 models calling for landfall. One in FL two in the Carolina's.

Looks like you Charlotte people have forgot your history.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/charlotteobserver.relaymedia.com/amp/news/local/article9193952.html

That was Hugo, a cat 4.

Don't be obtuse, it's right there in your headline: "Rare."

And I'll thank you for not referring to me as a "Charlotte Person." I lived in RTP for a number of years, not Charlotte. Charlotte is a bank branch that kept growing until they legally had to call it a "city." Literally every other part of NC is more interesting.

Edited by jimmy10

The Buffalo Bills are scheduled to play the Carolina Panthers, in Carolina, on 9/17.

As of right now, Hurricane Irma is too far out to sea to get an accurate prediction--but as the models have started to coalesce, they're showing a CAT5 slamming into the Carolinas on 9/11. Because of the size of the storm, it has the ability to bring serious wind and rain (CAT4) inland as far as Charlotte:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017090300/gfs_mslp_wind_seus_35.png

If this model were to hold, and it were to happen on that date, it would not only make practice impossible for the Panthers leading up to the game that week--but the logistics/optics of hosting a pro football game would become nearly impossible just 5 days later.

The NFL could theoretically relocate the game to a neutral site, but what would be the benefit to doing that? Very few Carolina fans would be able to travel, and it's unlikely 60,000 Buffalo fans would be able to fill a neutral site stadium with 3 days of a heads up. Also: if the path of this storm remains unpredictable, or if it shifts to impact Florida/VIRMARDEL, other game day locales could be affected as well.

The NFL could simply move the game location to Buffalo, and give us an extra home game. It would also mean we start the season with 3 straight home games.

As you keep an eye on Irma's path, keep this one in the back of your mind.

Happy Labor day.

This is just false reporting by whoever is doing it. There is NO known path yet for Irma and everything else is just speculation. The models all disagree as to what is going to happen, some have it moving up the coast to NE, others curving back out to sea and just about everything in between. Any form of someone saying they "know" the path this hurricane is going to take is just pure rubbish and internet conjecture of people who want to play meterorologist. Could they be right? Sure they "could", but it would be from pure dumb luck at this point rather than them knowing something all the weather forecasters and storm models don't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/09/03/hurricane-irma-could-strike-u-s-east-coast-by-next-weekend-or-it-could-curve-out-to-sea/?utm_term=.020fc127c0ed

You better hope so. Obviously, you have no idea where it will hit at this point. I was there (SC) for Hugo in 89. That was devastating and this looks to be much worse.

Prayers your way.

Ive been here for Hugo, Floyd, Andrew, Matthew, etc.

Ive been threw them all, and Im telling you, this one aint hitting. I can feel it in my bones.

The Buffalo Bills are scheduled to play the Carolina Panthers, in Carolina, on 9/17.

As of right now, Hurricane Irma is too far out to sea to get an accurate prediction--but as the models have started to coalesce, they're showing a CAT5 slamming into the Carolinas on 9/11. Because of the size of the storm, it has the ability to bring serious wind and rain (CAT4) inland as far as Charlotte:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017090300/gfs_mslp_wind_seus_35.png

If this model were to hold, and it were to happen on that date, it would not only make practice impossible for the Panthers leading up to the game that week--but the logistics/optics of hosting a pro football game would become nearly impossible just 5 days later.

The NFL could theoretically relocate the game to a neutral site, but what would be the benefit to doing that? Very few Carolina fans would be able to travel, and it's unlikely 60,000 Buffalo fans would be able to fill a neutral site stadium with 3 days of a heads up. Also: if the path of this storm remains unpredictable, or if it shifts to impact Florida/VIRMARDEL, other game day locales could be affected as well.

The NFL could simply move the game location to Buffalo, and give us an extra home game. It would also mean we start the season with 3 straight home games.

Happy Labor day.

I could actually see that happening. If we were a team in the playoff mix, maybe the rest of the NFL would whine, but the Bills? That's like throwing an old dog a bone.

Realistically though, it would be a neutral site as close to Charlotte as logistically possible, like when we played a "home" game vs the jets in detroit a few years ago.

Edited by Shotgunner

This is just false reporting by whoever is doing it. There is NO known path yet for Irma and everything else is just speculation. The models all disagree as to what is going to happen, some have it moving up the coast to NE, others curving back out to sea and just about everything in between. Any form of someone saying they "know" the path this hurricane is going to take is just pure rubbish and internet conjecture of people who want to play meterorologist. Could they be right? Sure they "could", but it would be from pure dumb luck at this point rather than them knowing something all the weather forecasters and storm models don't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/09/03/hurricane-irma-could-strike-u-s-east-coast-by-next-weekend-or-it-could-curve-out-to-sea/?utm_term=.020fc127c0ed

It was on this day that Matter2003 decreed that speculation and conjecture must be banned from the internet, and all people accessing this technology should hold off on forming opinions until all matters have resolved themselves, and official government agencies have disseminated officially acceptable and correct public stances for us to adopt!

For anyone willing to step out of line and think for themselves:

There is potential for this hurricane to impact the Carolinas, during a time frame that the Buffalo Bills are scheduled to travel there. That may not happen. Nothing in the thread title or body of my OP is misleading, or painting a picture of a definitive reality.

If the storm were to track as the model below shows, it would absolutely lead to the relocating of the game.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017090312/gfs_mslp_wind_seus_35.png

No one knows where it is going to land, and it may very well blow out to sea.

It's not "false reporting" to discuss hypotheticals, it's just an interesting weather related scenario that could impact Buffalo's season. A feat so incredibly rare that it hasn't happened since... 3 years ago when their game vs. the Jets was moved to primetime in Detroit because of a snow storm.

I can tell by your referencing AMWAPO as a news source that the course of world affairs has left you in it's wake, angrily lashing out at those around you as they assimilate and disseminate news at a rate which leaves you able only to throw out platitudes like "fake news!" Sorry gramps, but its your job to keep up, not my job to massage your sensitivities.

Edited by The Age of Aquarius

Happy Labor day.

I am not liking this forecast path one BIT. Dealt with Hurricane Fran ripping us apart as a cat 3 in 1996

It was on this day that Matter2003 decreed that speculation and conjecture must be banned from the internet, and all people accessing this technology should hold off on forming opinions until all matters have resolved themselves, and official government agencies have disseminated officially acceptable and correct public stances for us to adopt!

For anyone willing to step out of line and think for themselves:

There is potential for this hurricane to impact the Carolinas, during a time frame that the Buffalo Bills are scheduled to travel there. That may not happen. Nothing in the thread title or body of my OP is misleading, or painting a picture of a definitive reality.

If the storm were to track as the model below shows, it would absolutely lead to the relocating of the game.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017090312/gfs_mslp_wind_seus_35.png

No one knows where it is going to land, and it may very well blow out to sea.

It's not "false reporting" to discuss hypotheticals, it's just an interesting weather related scenario that could impact Buffalo's season. A feat so incredibly rare that it hasn't happened since... 3 years ago when their game vs. the Jets was moved to primetime in Detroit because of a snow storm.

I can tell by your referencing AMWAPO as a news source that the course of world affairs has left you in it's wake, angrily lashing out at those around you as they assimilate and disseminate news at a rate which leaves you able only to throw out platitudes like "fake news!" Sorry gramps, but its your job to keep up, not my job to massage your sensitivities.

It's false reporting when people report that it definitevely will hit the Carolina's as a category 5, and there ARE places that are doing that...yeah, they have plenty of potential storm tracks, all of them different at this point.

I am not liking this forecast path one BIT. Dealt with Hurricane Fran ripping us apart as a cat 3 in 1996

I find it ironic these are the places that laugh at us when we get a few feet of snow, but then get buried by hurricanes that are far worse than what we deal with...

One spaghetti track!?!

To be fair, Sandy had one accurate spaghetti track too. Just because it's the only one doesn't make it wrong, it just makes it less likely.

Happy Labor day.

Happy Labor day.

FYI, that's generally referred to as the Delmarva peninsula.