What REALLY will the Bills strategy on offense be?

mjd1001

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One immediate thing is I would imagine they'll use the RBs as receivers quite a bit more than we've seen the past two years. It helps Taylor with an easier read (and addresses the overall lack of talent at wideout) and gets McCoy into space where he's dangerous...Tolbert is also a very capable receiver. When Dennison was OC for the Texans Foster caught almost 6 passes a game, McCoy's been at around three over the last two years and I expect that will about double.

It's gonna be a long year for Shady if our QB's can't get first downs on passing situations. Penalties will also be a factor. Poop on Taylor all you want but its a lot to ask of any QB to constantly bail you out of 2 and 20 and 3rd and 15 when the refs keep subtracting yards. Especially a team geared to run the ball.

Edited by billsbackto81

It wasn't very exciting watching the Rick Dennison / Trevor Semian show last year at Denver- kind of reminded me of when Matt Cassell ran the Bills offense- long drives with lots of first downs but it seemed like they were actually losing yardage as the end zone kept getting farther away.

Yet somehow the broncos had 2 wide receivers over 1000 yards last season on the way to their 9 and 7.

It's gonna be a long year for Shady if our QB's can't get first downs on passing situations. Penalties will also be a factor. Poop on Taylor all you want but its a lot to ask of any QB to constantly bail you out of 2 and 20 and 3rd and 15 when the refs keep subtracting yards. Especially a team geared to run the ball.

The Bills do a good job of that all on their own.

I have to think they are simply going to spread the D out with 3 WRs and try to give McCoy more room to run. They will pretty much run as much as last year, if not more...allowing Taylor to audible to a pass on first down if he sees a mismatch (safety on a WR or a big hole in a zone). The thing that I think is overlooked a alot is the TYPE of WRs they have now. Andre Holmes hasn't played well in preseason, but I read a few articles on him (Raiders message boards and an article on Bleacher report) that say he is very good at blocking for a WR. Jorden Mathews the same thing. They signed Bolden and he is known as one of the best blocking WR's in the game.

So basically, they are going to try to spread the D-out a bit...and win outside 'run blocking' matchups with Very good blocking WR's. With Taylor, I think identifying mismatches to audible out of a run into a pass will pretty much be the majority of his pre-snap reads.

I'm pretty sure you will see this team have more than 500 rushing attempts this year.

Run, Run and Run some more, I don't believe they signed 2 FB's by accident, 1 will block, Tolbert will handle goaline duties, McCoy will do everything and Williams will spell him. As far as the passing game goes, I think it'll be alot of short passes, bubble screens etc., quick passing routes.