Bills signed Eric Wood to two year extension

I mean.........in theory yeah........and he can play LT and long snapper in theory as well.

Been a LONG TIME since he played any guard, John. Much different player physically then.

He's not a physical matchup winner at center........that ship sailed about 4 years ago.....he is a veteran presence and benefits from being able to get pass pro help from either side if needed.........at guard he would be a liability.

He hasnt played OG because he has been the starting C......it does not mean that he cannot play it.

We really need to see what the final makeup of the team is going to be....you know who also isnt palying well right now? Incognito.

Maybe Groy goes to LG and that is why Wood is given a extension?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way too much money for Wood imo. I am no fan of the moves with the new regime so far. Future will tell, but my money is they are making failing moves so far, I'm entitled to my opinion at least. I hope I am wrong and are doing things a way that I can't see

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

Way too much money for Wood imo. I am no fan of the moves with the new regime so far. Future will tell, but my money is they are making failing moves so far, I'm entitled to my opinion at least. I hope I am wrong and are doing things a way that I can't see

Way too much money is right. We could have let Wood walk, started Groy, and paid Sammy. This was pretty ****ing stupid.

Yep.

This.

Buddy said he paid Kelsay to set an example that team players would be rewarded financially. :doh:

It was a desperation move by a regime that had no idea how to flip the culture switch........Chan didn't have the will or the way to do it so they thought maybe they could buy it.

Wasting money.

I am thinking that Wood is not THE most overrated player the Bills have fielded this century, but he certainly is in the top 5.

Imo, this signing is a bad indication of how they will allocate this bevy of early draft picks they now possess. I mean, who needs to draft blockers when you have players like Miller and Wood? :(

I agree Badol, this was a total waste of money.

This wasn't a restructure. It was a full two year extension. It will be for starter money both years

....I know......just saying I thought the wiser choice was to restructure to keep him around with Groy as your eventual starter.....Eric is rock steady, but I don't think he could have come close to that money elsewhere which leads me to believe a restructure was possible......but Beane is piloting the ship.....

He hasnt played OG because he has been the starting C......it does not mean that he cannot play it.

We really need to see what the final makeup of the team is going to be....you know who also isnt palying well right now? Incognito.

Maybe Groy goes to LG and that is why Wood is given a extension?

That was almost 10 years ago that he played guard John.

Guards have to actually be able to hold up one-on-one with DT's.........center is a position where you can get by with an undersized guy that doesn't matchup...................that's been the situation with Wood for a number of years now.........and it's why centers are generally the lowest paid O-lineman and despite some recent raises given to centers that's still the case.

Wood was exposed when Marrone arrived.......he was atrocious for two consecutive seasons to the point where he was even expecting to be released.

Enter the Roman scheme which greatly helped to cover his limitations up.

We shall see how he does at center in Dennison's offense.........he and Incognito looked TERRIBLE in the first preseason with Roman and in the regular season they were used differently...........but no, Wood is not a fit at guard at his advanced age.

I am thinking that Wood is not THE most overrated player the Bills have fielded this century, but he certainly is in the top 5.

Imo, this signing is a bad indication of how they will allocate this bevy of early draft picks they now possess. I mean, who needs to draft blockers when you have players like Miller and Wood? :(

The first sign that many prior regimes had no idea what they were doing was how the spent their money.

No reason at all to extend Eric Wood at this time unless it was for a HUGE discount.

Seems like they just paid a $6M-$6.5M per year OC $8M a year for 2018 and 2019 with a lot of guarantees, but it might not be that bad. Wood is a good player and it's probably best to have him locked up beyond this season so I'm happy there. The contract details aren't out yet, but my best guess is that the effective length is through 2018 with 2019 as more of an option year for the team. Guarantees likely just cover compensation for this season and most of next. The 2019 salary could be ballooning the numbers too. I'm going to wait and see.

Seems like they just paid a $6M-$6.5M per year OC $8M a year for 2018 and 2019 with a lot of guarantees, but it might not be that bad. Wood is a good player and it's probably best to have him locked up beyond this season so I'm happy there. The contract details aren't out yet, but my best guess is that the effective length is through 2018 with 2019 as more of an option year for the team. Guarantees likely just cover compensation for this season and most of next. The 2019 salary could be ballooning the numbers too. I'm going to wait and see.

• By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL writer
  • Published: Aug. 26, 2017 at 06:20 p.m.

The Buffalo Bills inked center Eric Wood to a two-year contract extension on Saturday.

The team announced the deal ahead of their preseason tilt versus the Baltimore Ravens

The extension is worth $16 million in new money with an additional $5.275 million this year, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed of the contract. Rapoport added that Wood received a $6.5 million signing bonus, and is due an additional $1.75 million roster bonus in five days as part of his $14.2 million in guarantees.

Wood was headed toward the final season of his five-year, $27.7 million contract signed in 2013. The extension keeps the 2009 first-round pick in Buffalo through the 2019 season.

• By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL writer
  • Published: Aug. 26, 2017 at 06:20 p.m.

The Buffalo Bills inked center Eric Wood to a two-year contract extension on Saturday.

The team announced the deal ahead of their preseason tilt versus the Baltimore Ravens

The extension is worth $16 million in new money with an additional $5.275 million this year, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed of the contract. Rapoport added that Wood received a $6.5 million signing bonus, and is due an additional $1.75 million roster bonus in five days as part of his $14.2 million in guarantees.

Wood was headed toward the final season of his five-year, $27.7 million contract signed in 2013. The extension keeps the 2009 first-round pick in Buffalo through the 2019 season.

Thanks, but there are still more details to come. I'm looking to see how much of his 2017 salary got converted to the signing and roster bonuses paid this week, what the effective 2 season payout is and how much of the new money is non-guaranteed 2019 compensation. I'd expect a roster bonus to be due in 2019 as well. Often the first leaks of a new contract are from the agent and show the deal in the most positive light. It's good marketing for the agent.

nothing everyone else isn't saying but he's so overrated it's sad.

I think this is a save face move from sending Dareus home early and to send a message. All PR

Eric, here is a blanket extension we have been talking about. Sign this right now in your pads, we need this out there quick. We need buy in. You're an idiot and will do whatever we say and now we look like we reward mouth breathers who toe the line.

I don't mind the move, but I am confused. He's 31 and they say he is part of the plan going forward. Sammy and Darby are 23-24 and they get shipped out. We keep Shady, as we should, but he'll be 30 next year. Keeping Shady, keeping Wood would indicate win now. But they say they won't be big on Free Agency and will build through the draft. I don't know what to expect from Beane and McDermott.

....I know......just saying I thought the wiser choice was to restructure to keep him around with Groy as your eventual starter.....Eric is rock steady, but I don't think he could have come close to that money elsewhere which leads me to believe a restructure was possible......but Beane is piloting the ship.....

He is far from rock steady. I've seen him get blown up time after time. I like Wood, but his best days are behind him.

That was almost 10 years ago that he played guard John.

Guards have to actually be able to hold up one-on-one with DT's.........center is a position where you can get by with an undersized guy that doesn't matchup...................that's been the situation with Wood for a number of years now.........and it's why centers are generally the lowest paid O-lineman and despite some recent raises given to centers that's still the case.

Wood was exposed when Marrone arrived.......he was atrocious for two consecutive seasons to the point where he was even expecting to be released.

Enter the Roman scheme which greatly helped to cover his limitations up.

We shall see how he does at center in Dennison's offense.........he and Incognito looked TERRIBLE in the first preseason with Roman and in the regular season they were used differently...........but no, Wood is not a fit at guard at his advanced age.

The first sign that many prior regimes had no idea what they were doing was how the spent their money.

No reason at all to extend Eric Wood at this time unless it was for a HUGE discount.

Sadly I agree. But I am not surprised that they spent money on a center. It is their MO.

You don't sign a player to a contract extension to cut him

He's emotionally unstable. not sure if you picked up on that nucci ?

He is far from rock steady. I've seen him get blown up time after time. I like Wood, but his best days are behind him.

I never liked him

Sadly I agree. But I am not surprised that they spent money on a center. It is their MO.

Wrong center though. oopsy daisy

I don't mind the move, but I am confused. He's 31 and they say he is part of the plan going forward. Sammy and Darby are 23-24 and they get shipped out. We keep Shady, as we should, but he'll be 30 next year. Keeping Shady, keeping Wood would indicate win now. But they say they won't be big on Free Agency and will build through the draft. I don't know what to expect from Beane and McDermott.

Same here. Plus, $8mil/year for a C in his 30s seems like a lot - does anyone think he would've gotten that much as a FA?

I think there's 2 main possibilities for what the Bills are doing:

1.) They're acting haphazardly with no real plan

2.) They're trying to sell tickets/keep the team "competitive" in the short term, even though they are mostly building for the long term. Still doesn't explain why you'd give market value contracts to guys like Hauschka and Wood, but does explain why you'd trade Watkins and Darby. They presumably think that Watkins isn't worth the money he'll get in the market, so they're getting something for him rather than letting him walk for nothing. Darby doesn't seem like a fit for the scheme, so not part of the long-term team building vision. Best to get something of value for him while you can.

I'm leaning more towards #1 so far, but my mind isn't made up. I also don't understand why you bring back Tyrod only to put him in an offense that downplays all of his strengths and emphasizes all of his weaknesses. There are much cheaper ways to get terrible QB play.