Mahomes is looking good

1billsfan

I agree with you GG. You can tell if a QB has the necessary tools to be a good player in the NFL. Take Peterman for example. Some think he can be a starter in the NFL, others see only a career backup. In my uneducated opinion, I like what I see in Mahomes. I'm not saying he should start though.

My response was more to the Chiefs fan who was gushing about Mahomes' escapability. In that sense he'll always be better than A Smith. But that type of playing rarely carries over into the regular season, because the rest of his game will get the team in far more trouble than that occasional highlight escape from a sack.

FWIW, I've seen more NFL worthy throws from Peterman than Mahomes, so far.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My response was more to the Chiefs fan who was gushing about Mahomes' escapability. In that sense he'll always be better than A Smith. But that type of playing rarely carries over into the regular season, because the rest of his game will get the team in far more trouble than that occasional highlight escape from a sack.

FWIW, I've seen more NFL worthy throws from Peterman than Mahomes, so far.

Ok, I understand you better. I agree, he won't be the starting QB anytime this year unless Smith gets hurt or really stinks it up. It's funny how some players can come in and be the starter day one, like Dak.

Right back at ya

:beer::thumbsup:

Where is the guy who started a thread about Mahomes back in January. I tried to look for his thread but can't find it. The kid is picking up NFL game faster than expected for sure. I've watched both pre-season games. Smith is still much better but this kid is an NFL QB.

Nope. No he's not.

1. I am a Chiefs fan. 2. It is pre season.

Here is the thing about Mahomes that stands out in the games, in the practices, etc. if you watch the pass he makes on third down scrambling way back and around the side for a completion to convert and keep the Drive going...it's that play that only a handful of guys can make in the NFL. Mahomes makes THAT play because he can. It's the difference between settling for 3 or going on to score 7. Alex Smith can not, and does not make that throw. We've seen smith in that situation 100 times. That drive ends in a field goal attempt 100/100 times because that is a play Smith can't make. It is one Aaron Rodgers can. In a league where most games are decided by less than 7, this is exactly the kind of thing that makes the difference you can't find on a stat sheet. The box score calls that a completed pass for 5 yards on 3rd and 2. It doesn't say only a few guys in the league could have made the play and the drive ended in 7 instead of 3. Big numbers are put up by the Staffords and the Rivers types all the time. It's a passing league. You guys are going to regret missing out on him.

Nope. No we aren't.

You can't make up for footwork like he has. Arm or not, guy's mechanics are abysmal and he's lucky he's facing 2nd stringers because once he's against real players, he's in for a rude awakening.

Mahomes. Hahaha.

dang,

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/8/19/16174792/watch-every-patrick-mahomes-pass-and-rush-from-the-chiefs-2nd-preseason-game

Will this be yet another Wilson, Carr, Prescott, Bills didn't pick the franchise QB sitting there situation? Dude's only 21 and he looks more poise than Taylor (12 of the top 14 topics on TSW are on him lol) has ever shown.

Two paragraphs? WOW!

How many touchdown passes did he throw...? run for...? Ohh, wait...

I think that was Jeffismagic. He got all bitter after the Bills passed him on.

thanks dude.

Jeffsmagic, you were freakin right. I've seen both games in entirety. He's ahead of schedule for KC. All the throws, pocket presence, toughness, and a good kind of COCKINESS that tells me he'll be able to handle the slings and arrows that an NFL QB is subject to. Chief concern was his ability to read NFL D and the complex play calling. Pre-season is vanilla D so he has no issues thus far. He's still locking onto his primary targets but he can find WRs on a broken play so he'll be alright.

Trubinsky's ahead though in my eyes so they got picked at the right order.

Give me your scouting evaluation again next year and I'll listen to ya.

thanks dude.

Jeffsmagic, you were freakin right. I've seen both games in entirety. He's ahead of schedule for KC. All the throws, pocket presence, toughness, and a good kind of COCKINESS that tells me he'll be able to handle the slings and arrows that an NFL QB is subject to. Chief concern was his ability to read NFL D and the complex play calling. Pre-season is vanilla D so he has no issues thus far. He's still locking onto his primary targets but he can find WRs on a broken play so he'll be alright.

Trubinsky's ahead though in my eyes so they got picked at the right order.

Give me your scouting evaluation again next year and I'll listen to ya.

He may be the next Aaron Rodgers. Since we didn't pick him, he's a bum. Besides, we got the next great cb.

I didn't make myself clear enough in my earlier post...I am not raving about Mahomes "escapability". Alex Smith is pretty good at that part of the quarterback position.....what is impressive about the play I am referring to isn't Mahmomes running around....plenty of QB's can run around...it's the accurate zing of a throw, with a guy all over him, across his body, into a tight space to a moving target. Where they second stringers? yes they were....that doesn't change the fact that the pass rusher was immedeatly on Mahomes...and that his target (a third string TE) was basically blanketed by 2 guys...and he makes that play....he makes that elite NFL throw...it was third down, they ended the drive a play or two later with a TD.....there isn't a STAT for this.....but this kind of thing is exactly one of those things that separate a very good numbers passer like Matt Stafford from a great QB like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers....it's that play, that Mahomes made with his ARM...to keep a drive going. Most QB can't make that throw in that situation..the drive ends..and most teams end up with 3....Alex Smith can't make that throw...he can run and get away to avoid the sack right there just as Mahmomes did, but Alex chucks that pass to the sideline and let's the kicking team come on for the points. .....The Chiefs have won a million regular season games because they have had QB's who on third down, under pressure...don't have the tools to make that play....they have been wisely coached not to even try it....throw out of bounds...kick the filed goal or punt...live another day...let the defense keep us in it...win the turnover battle..that formula has won the Chiefs a ton of regular season games and almost ZERO playoff games because the other teams QB isn't throwing pics...he's making that play on 3rd and 3 when he has pressure...and his man is covered...and he gets that ball in in impossible spot....Mahomes has THAT talent. You can't teach it....it isn't a matter of his footwork. I'll even agree that there is a graveyard full of guys with exceptional arms that never made it...it's a fair point....I would just say, on draft day when they took Mahomes over Watson there were many sources in both KC and Houston that said Mahomes excelled at picking up all the stuff they threw at him in the classroom while Watson struggled with it.....If that is the case...and Mahomes is a good study, to go along with his talent....You guys will have missed....(and obviously vice versa if he fails) .....and having seen a whole slew of "game managers" come in here since 1989 DeBerg, Krieg, Bono, Grbac, Cassel, Smith etc...What I am seeing with my own eyes...is that Mahomes is not like any of those guys. ......again...FULL DISCLOSIRE.....I am a KC fan......so call me a homer....I have HATED what my team has done at QB since I can remember...I have argued up and down that all we've ever had are guys who are really really good at not screwing things up...they are safe..they check down...they don't take a sack on 3rd down to maintain good field position......you beat a lot of bad teams with lesser QB's that way...you don't win in the playoffs waiting on Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and John Elway and Jim Kelly, and Dan Marino and Ben Rothlisberger to make more mistakes than Dave Krieg or Steve Bono. Mahomes is not those guys...he's different and he's better...and you can see it after 2 preseason games.

t

The QBs picked this year don't matter. We're getting our QB next season, when there should be some excellent options available early in the 1st round.

The Bills currently look like a bottom 5 NFL team. Would love to see them trade their remaining assets and really go after the #1 overall pick.

The QBs picked this year don't matter. We're getting our QB next season, when there should be some excellent options available early in the 1st round.

The Bills currently look like a bottom 5 NFL team. Would love to see them trade their remaining assets and really go after the #1 overall pick.

There is no way we will be worse than Jets and Niners...meaning no matter how much we tank, we still get the 3rd QB. So why even bother and instead keep a more talented roster for that young QB to work with and develop faster?

Seriously, people have no concept of the reality of what is really going to happen this year and in the draft. Both Niners and Jets will be competing for #1 spot, the other will get the 2nd, and both will take a QB. We will be taking the 3rd QB regardless, nothing any trade whining can fix...and thats assuming we do take a QB as there is still the possibility that either Taylor or Peterman can play their way into the job this year, even if people think thats a long shot or impossible, it can still happen.

Again, lets assume neither QB makes a legit case for themselves like many believe...we are still drafting the 3rd QB prospect no matter what even if we trade Shady and Taylor (which has been constantly reported that we WONT be) we are still a more talented roster than Niners and Jets. Odds of his leap frogging them in a "tank-off" is very low. And those teams are not going to trade away a chance at the franchise QB they desperately need unless they feel there is a 3rd guy they like better, in which we should just target that 3rd guy too and save as many of our draft assets as we can for more players.

Browns are starting Kizer and trying to trade Brock. A bit too soon for Kizer I think. He moved the ball but he was erratic with throws at times, and slides HEAD FIRST on runs. Browns fans are going to be giddy and scared at the same time this season.

Browns are starting Kizer and trying to trade Brock. A bit too soon for Kizer I think. He moved the ball but he was erratic with throws at times, and slides HEAD FIRST on runs. Browns fans are going to be giddy and scared at the same time this season.

He's getting the job now because Osweiler and Kessler have been so bad. He's not ready, but is still their best option despite that.

I didn't make myself clear enough in my earlier post...I am not raving about Mahomes "escapability". Alex Smith is pretty good at that part of the quarterback position.....what is impressive about the play I am referring to isn't Mahmomes running around....plenty of QB's can run around...it's the accurate zing of a throw, with a guy all over him, across his body, into a tight space to a moving target. Where they second stringers? yes they were....that doesn't change the fact that the pass rusher was immedeatly on Mahomes...and that his target (a third string TE) was basically blanketed by 2 guys...and he makes that play....he makes that elite NFL throw...it was third down, they ended the drive a play or two later with a TD.....there isn't a STAT for this.....but this kind of thing is exactly one of those things that separate a very good numbers passer like Matt Stafford from a great QB like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers....it's that play, that Mahomes made with his ARM...to keep a drive going. Most QB can't make that throw in that situation..the drive ends..and most teams end up with 3....Alex Smith can't make that throw...he can run and get away to avoid the sack right there just as Mahmomes did, but Alex chucks that pass to the sideline and let's the kicking team come on for the points. .....The Chiefs have won a million regular season games because they have had QB's who on third down, under pressure...don't have the tools to make that play....they have been wisely coached not to even try it....throw out of bounds...kick the filed goal or punt...live another day...let the defense keep us in it...win the turnover battle..that formula has won the Chiefs a ton of regular season games and almost ZERO playoff games because the other teams QB isn't throwing pics...he's making that play on 3rd and 3 when he has pressure...and his man is covered...and he gets that ball in in impossible spot....Mahomes has THAT talent. You can't teach it....it isn't a matter of his footwork. I'll even agree that there is a graveyard full of guys with exceptional arms that never made it...it's a fair point....I would just say, on draft day when they took Mahomes over Watson there were many sources in both KC and Houston that said Mahomes excelled at picking up all the stuff they threw at him in the classroom while Watson struggled with it.....If that is the case...and Mahomes is a good study, to go along with his talent....You guys will have missed....(and obviously vice versa if he fails) .....and having seen a whole slew of "game managers" come in here since 1989 DeBerg, Krieg, Bono, Grbac, Cassel, Smith etc...What I am seeing with my own eyes...is that Mahomes is not like any of those guys. ......again...FULL DISCLOSIRE.....I am a KC fan......so call me a homer....I have HATED what my team has done at QB since I can remember...I have argued up and down that all we've ever had are guys who are really really good at not screwing things up...they are safe..they check down...they don't take a sack on 3rd down to maintain good field position......you beat a lot of bad teams with lesser QB's that way...you don't win in the playoffs waiting on Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and John Elway and Jim Kelly, and Dan Marino and Ben Rothlisberger to make more mistakes than Dave Krieg or Steve Bono. Mahomes is not those guys...he's different and he's better...and you can see it after 2 preseason games.

t

Game managers. I have a slight problem with that term. Considering the chiefs have compiled about the 3rd best record in the entire NFL since he has been there over the last 4 years now, I'd say he's done a hell of a job "managing games." His ability to not make many mistakes and execute critical plays every now and again have been crucial to the Chiefs success.

Mahomes may be the long-term answer; however, the Chiefs play in arguably the best division in the NFL with a loaded Raiders team, a stout Denver D, and a talented (though underperforming) Chargers team. To assume Mahomes can walk in there and go 12-4 or 11-5 (which the Chiefs have done in 3 out of 4 seasons Alex has been there), in that stacked division is nonsense.

Chiefs fans seem to quickly forget how they were 2-14 the year before Alex Smith and Andy Reid got there. They have been a machine ever since.

There's no reason to press the issue with Mahomes right now.

Edited by bobobonators