8-14: Bills' GM Brandon Beane on WGR

If Taylor was as bad as you proclaim, the new staff and Beane would've jettisoned Taylor months ago. As far as wasting Sammy, don't you think it's hard to target a WR that's standing on the sidelines for half the season?

Don't know how one can presume Watkins is not healthy now. That particular foot injury often takes two years to fully heal.

Sammy played through pain. He's not soft. As for Taylor, he remains the best available option. Building up draft resources could plausibly be an indication Snake Opie and Mr. Bean don't think highly of him long term.

If Taylor was as bad as you proclaim, the new staff and Beane would've jettisoned Taylor months ago. As far as wasting Sammy, don't you think it's hard to target a WR that's standing on the sidelines for half the season?

He has a career high 69 catches. That's a joke. He should approach closer to twice that number. He's open virtually every play because there isn't a DB alive who can cover him but the Bills never have the QB who can throw it on time and play pitch n catch all day long

And there were plenty of open receivers last season not named Watkins who just did not get the ball because the QB can't see the field and distribute the rock consistently.

I don't want to argue with y'all about Tyrod endlessly. If You think he's good then good for you, I'm just stating my perspective

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

Don't know how one can presume Watkins is not healthy now. That particular foot injury often takes two years to fully heal.

Sammy played through pain. He's not soft. As for Taylor, he remains the best available option. Building up draft resources could plausibly be an indication Snake Opie and Mr. Bean don't think highly of him long term.

But as you described him, he's God awful. Why not get rid of him for something and rebuild?

As far as McD and Beane not being sold on him, they have no reason to be completely sold on him at this point. But I will say they see enough potential there to see how this season goes....far from being the terrible QB you make him out to be.

He has a career high 69 catches. That's a joke. He should approach closer to twice that number. He's open virtually every play because there isn't a DB alive who can cover him but the Bills never have the QB who can throw it on time and play pitch n catch all day long

And there were plenty of open receivers last season not named Watkins who just did not get the ball because the QB can't see the field and distribute the rock consistently.

I don't want to argue with y'all about Tyrod endlessly. If You think he's good then good for you, I'm just stating my perspective

So we had WR's running around uncovered, a brick wall for an Oline and Taylor simply couldn't hit anybody? Come on man....when you're so over the top and critical in your "perspective", you instantly lose credibility. It's this kind of one-sided, melodramatic reaction that sparks the never ending squabbles about certain players.

But as you described him, he's God awful. Why not get rid of him for something and rebuild?

As far as McD and Beane not being sold on him, they have no reason to be completely sold on him at this point. But I will say they see enough potential there to see how this season goes....far from being the terrible QB you make him out to be.

I have never said Taylor was awful. I don't think he's a franchise qb and I think you need one for long term success.

I'd be happy for Taylor to wildly exceed my expectations. I don't think getting rid of Sammy helps him do that.

So we had WR's running around uncovered, a brick wall for an Oline and Taylor simply couldn't hit anybody? Come on man....when you're so over the top and critical in your "perspective", you instantly lose credibility. It's this kind of one-sided, melodramatic reaction that sparks the never ending squabbles about certain players.

Wut? Have a nice day

" The draft is the most affordable way to pay very good players. Our job is to pay attention where we are financially". I'm a major supporter of the trades, but even I hate that quote. Fiscal responsible is great. There is obviously a major need to manage the salary cap correctly. Those facts don't negate the fact that money ball doesn't win championships. How many titles did Billy Beane with the MLB A's who was the originator of that term win? The answer is zero. Sometimes you have to pay your best players. Every team in the league has to do so. So what's the plan? Draft great players only to let them walk? That's not how you build a winner. I understood the trade because the new regime wants to start with a clean slate. They want a fresh start with an a surplus of draft picks. What a don't understand is that comment. I hope that is not our philosophy going forward. Where they dominate is by having Brady on the roster imo. It's not college football. You can't let your best players walk every four years. Teams have to pay the players who cost the most. They are the guys who are most crucial to a teams success. It's actually the lower paid role players that need to be replaced every season. Beane talks like he's unwilling to pay anyone. That would be a terrible strategy.

"... So youre looking at a guy whos walking into his free agent year," Beane said. "I mentioned where our cap situation is at, you just dont know how youre going to be able to afford him. You dont know exactly what his market is going to be but you see where some of the guys are being paid now, so that had to be a factor in this decision, Beane said.

I couldn't find his initial quote on the Bills salary cap situation. But it sounds like that was a big factor. They are trying to get the Bills cap back in order, which is something that needed to be done. They were a mediocre 7 win team that was in rough cap shape with a ton of free agents to sign entering this offseason. That situation has gotten better after some tough cuts and the Sammy trade.

I didn't at all get that he wasn't willing to pay anyone.

Let me translate.

"If Sammy had a bad year we weren't going to sign him. If Sammy had a great year we weren't going to pay him. Rookies are cheaper so we are going to trade players or let them walk and just have constant turn over."

"EJ Gaines is short, but if you kind of squint he looks taller."

So true. Just what I had feared and then watched it become reality on Friday. Ughhhhhhhhhhh

How does moving Watkins and Darby for Matthews and Gaines improve depth for 2017?

It's not about improving depth for 2017. It's about 2018, 2019 and beyond.

Theyre stockpiling draft picks to build this team. They hired the best scouting/personnel staff that they possibly could and plan to build through the draft. It's something the Bills haven't done in a long time. I'm willing to give it a chance.

Let me translate.

"If Sammy had a bad year we weren't going to sign him. If Sammy had a great year we weren't going to pay him. Rookies are cheaper so we are going to trade players or let them walk and just have constant turn over."

:lol:

Yep

Huh?

They had 13 million in cap before the Bolden deal and have over 30 million next year.

If that's their plan it will be short lived.

They won't make it past year 3 because they won't be winning.

They had like $19M in cap space entering this offseason with something like 26 players to sign. Like I said, it's in better shape now after some tough cuts,

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Spotrac has the Bills at $6M in cap space this year and $26M in cap space next year. Has they kept Sammy and tagged or,paid him, that likely takes up at minimum $15M of that $26M in cap space. So that leaves $11M or less to make other improvements to the team.

Edited by BillsFan4

They had something like $19M in cap space entering the offseason with what, 26 players to sign? Like I said it's better now that they made some tough cuts. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Spotrac has the Bills at $6M in cap space this year and $26M in cap space next year. Has they kept Sammy and tagged or,paid him, that likely takes up at minimum $15M of that $26M in cap space. So that leaves $11M or less to make other improvements to the team.

There are agin vets that could be released as they won't be here by the time the team is ready to win.They can also restructure deals. If Sammy produced they could work out a more cap friendly deal ( though the 5 Th year option is eminently reasonable). They could move on from Eric Wood. You are assuming everything is static which it isn't . Plenty of cap room on this team bereft of Offensive stars and talent.

Very simple 8/14/17 is anyone willing to pay watkins 60 plus million and make him the vocal point of our offense for the next 5 years?

I think you mean "focal point".......like when you focus a lens onto a specific object in the field of view with binoculars or a telescope.

That's very appropriate IMO........because the Bills literally have nothing else to spend their money on so he was basically the focal point of their spending for the next few years.

Traded away a #1 pick to get Sammy......used another on EJ.......Cyrus underperformed and got cut.........Kiko got traded.......Woods left in FA........Darby got dealt.......even 2016 second rounder(plus two fourths!) Rebbie Ragruts has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel.

Welp........that's basically all the top picks that were coming up for contract renewals between now and when McDermott and Beane get fired.

You may want to review the all-22 from last season. It's widely known that Bills receivers were running open in the secondary in practically every game. Right from the first or second play of the opener actually, you won't have to watch for long to see an example. And TT either didn't see them, didn't look at them , or just wouldn't throw it on time. It's there, check it out.

Let me translate.

People def hear what they want to hear

I think you mean "focal point".......like when you focus a lens onto a specific object in the field of view with binoculars or a telescope.

That's very appropriate IMO........because the Bills literally have nothing else to spend their money on so he was basically the focal point of their spending for the next few years.

Traded away a #1 pick to get Sammy......used another on EJ.......Cyrus underperformed and got cut.........Kiko got traded.......Woods left in FA........Darby got dealt.......even 2016 second rounder(plus two fourths!) Rebbie Ragruts has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel.

Welp........that's basically all the top picks that were coming up for contract renewals between now and when McDermott and Beane get fired.

That's a great point badol. People act like this team has so many stars they don't know who to pay. And a very simple move with the option meant they didn't have to do anything until late in the 2018 season at the earliest.

People def hear what they want to hear

Or they can read between the lines when they're presented with the OBD " spin zone" . Edited by Boatdrinks

Let me translate.

You mean follow the patriot model? Surely that will never work.

Beane actually said today in the last minute of his GR interview that momentum for the trades picked up a couple days before the game - "and through the game" - which easily could mean that the Rams decided after seeing him that they were pulling the trigger. That is an unknown, of course. He could have been saying that in a more general sense, but it sounded to me as if he said he was talking to them during the game.

I heard Jeremy White snicker this morning when talking about culture and mention how he gets texts about "you never played sports" insinuating that people who say that somehow don't know what they are talking about. It amazes me how people who have never done something dismiss the opinions of people who have. White has being pushing this narrative that culture doesn't matter in sports and now there are bunch of little minions walking around echoing what he says as if they know what they are talking about. I am not saying analytics do not matter because they do but if you say culture doesn't matter and you have never been in a locker room, you are simply ignorant. There is a reason every single athlete says it matters. It is the epitome of arrogance and ignorance to have an opinion that you believe to be absolute on a subject that you have no real experience with, when the people with the experience have the exact opposite opinion. It is laughable how clueless Jeremy White and those like him who think culture doesn't matter are.

I think culture is important and all coaches go after it - albeit in different ways but they all know how necessary it is. The issue is that culture is only sustained from winning. An example of this was the last several episodes of "All Or Nothing" on amazon with the Rams. Fisher and his staff tried everything to keep these guys up after starting 3-1. It was depressing watching that team slide mentally.

Culture will come if this coaching staff gets the players to reasonably believe in what their doing now, they game plan well and then they have to win.

....although it is all conjecture, what does Beane have to gain by putting untrue crap out there?.....and why would McD have been kept in the dark?....so Beane joined his Panthers' fellow employee in Buffalo to immediately establish an adversarial relationship?....makes perfect sense........surely will "elevate (COUGH)" the organization.....

You mean follow the patriot model? Surely that will never work.

I'm going to repeat this, part of the Patriots model is signing players away from the Bills. Furthermore when you have the greatest player in he game, possibly of all time, you can get away with some mediocre players. Let me know when the Bills have a player that is in the same class as Brady, because it is unlikely that will ever happen if you trade or let good players walk.

I'm so sick of this "culture" BS. Know what builds a culture? Good coaches, good players, and especially a good qb. This isn't high school. Talent wins. Remember the Bickerin' Bills? They won because they had great talent.

These guys would have traded Thurman away because he didn't fit their "culture." I'm going to let it play out because what choice do I have? But this is the shortest honeymoon I have ever had with a new "regime."

Agreed.

I wouldn't say it's constant turnover. When you draft a player you typically have them play for 4-5 years. 4-5 years of play is not a constant turnover. Signing guys to 1 year deals every single year, and not having enough money to sign the guys you drafted is constant turnover. The guy is doing this the right way.

Like having our top 2 WRs on 1 year contracts?

Thaaaaaaaaaank you. The Steelers game was a prime example of how bad Tyrod is. If a receiver isnt WIDE OPEN Tyrod wont get them the ball bottom line. Not only that if Tyrod is really that good why was he forced to take a huge pay cut and years off of his deal? That dont happen to even good qb's. Tyrod hurt Sammys play bottom line.

I'm going to repeat this, part of the Patriots model is signing players away from the Bills. Furthermore when you have the greatest player in he game, possibly of all time, you can get away with some mediocre players. Let me know when the Bills have a player that is in the same class as Brady, because it is unlikely that will ever happen if you trade or let good players walk.

With this regime if they ever get a player of Bradys caliber they will most likely trade him away for draft picks.

Let me translate.

exactly right about Sammy.

I wouldn't say it's constant turnover. When you draft a player you typically have them play for 4-5 years. 4-5 years of play is not a constant turnover. Signing guys to 1 year deals every single year, and not having enough money to sign the guys you drafted is constant turnover. The guy is doing this the right way.

Yep.

You can have a few pricey FAs. And a few JAG signings. But if your own draft picks aren't contributing, you're in trouble because the draft is the only place where you can get good players on the cheap.

When Beane says you have to build through the draft he doesn't mean exclusively through the draft. But you do have to be successful there. Having more draft picks certainly helps.

Yep.

You can have a few pricey FAs. And a few JAG signings. But if your own draft picks aren't contributing, you're in trouble because the draft is the only place where you can get good players on the cheap.

When Beane says you have to build through the draft he doesn't mean exclusively through the draft. But you do have to be successful there. Having more draft picks certainly helps.

As we all know the problem is finding that allusive QB in the draft and if you're not high enough - what's it going to cost? You then have to unload some serious picks and pray that he's the guy. If he is, drafting and player acquisition gets a heck of a lot easier. I just want us to get lucky and have one soon. Until then I'll root for the team to do well but with that thought constantly in my head. I'll hope Peterman is our guy until proven otherwise.

I heard Jeremy White snicker this morning when talking about culture and mention how he gets texts about "you never played sports" insinuating that people who say that somehow don't know what they are talking about. It amazes me how people who have never done something dismiss the opinions of people who have. White has being pushing this narrative that culture doesn't matter in sports and now there are bunch of little minions walking around echoing what he says as if they know what they are talking about. I am not saying analytics do not matter because they do but if you say culture doesn't matter and you have never been in a locker room, you are simply ignorant. There is a reason every single athlete says it matters. It is the epitome of arrogance and ignorance to have an opinion that you believe to be absolute on a subject that you have no real experience with, when the people with the experience have the exact opposite opinion. It is laughable how clueless Jeremy White and those like him who think culture doesn't matter are.

1) I played football for 4 years in college and 4 varsity sports in high school. Not bragging but I played at a fairly high level and know exactly how the locker room works.

Guess what happens? Star players get treated differently than walk ons. If you are a good player, you get a slap on the wrist when you do something dumb while a scrub gets kicked off the team for the same issue. That's how they send their messages.

Coaches at higher levels are expected to win over anything. This isn't high school or pop warner.

2). What have Beane or McD even built for us to blindly trust them?

3) the NE culture is Tom Brady. Everything works because of him. Belichick can be tough on players because he has Brady. He has possibly the best player in NFL history who is also the hardest worker. They kept Hernandez who had a history of issues going back to high school who nearly beat up Welker in the locker room.

GB's culture is Aaron Rodgers. NO's is Brees.

In high school, we had spaghetti dinners and prayed as a team before games. In the NFL, these guys are separate businesses. Save the BS culture for high school.

1) I played football for 4 years in college and 4 varsity sports in high school. Not bragging but I played at a fairly high level and know exactly how the locker room works.

Guess what happens? Star players get treated differently than walk ons. If you are a good player, you get a slap on the wrist when you do something dumb while a scrub gets kicked off the team for the same issue. That's how they send their messages.

Coaches at higher levels are expected to win over anything. This isn't high school or pop warner.

2). What have Beane or McD even built for us to blindly trust them?

3) the NE culture is Tom Brady. Everything works because of him. Belichick can be tough on players because he has Brady. He has possibly the best player in NFL history who is also the hardest worker. They kept Hernandez who had a history of issues going back to high school who nearly beat up Welker in the locker room.

GB's culture is Aaron Rodgers. NO's is Brees.

In high school, we had spaghetti dinners and prayed as a team before games. In the NFL, these guys are separate businesses. Save the BS culture for high school.

Good post and exactly correct.