Bills trade Ronald Darby for WR Jordan Matthews, 3rd rd pick

YoloinOhio

No way they spend $10m on Matthews, unless he has a career year and even then it would be a stretch. However, I wouldn't be surprised if someone was willing to pay close to that amount, Woods got $8m and Matthews is a clear step above him.

So we traded 1 year of Sammy Watkins with resign potential for another's 1 year rental and a pick.

Brilliant.

Edited by jmc12290

Really? I thought that was a fairly crappy article, filled with complete speculation. Matthews value isn't high because he's going into a contract year? But that's not true for Sammy? Oh, and "this trade wasnt just a player-for-player swap" and the draft pick had to be included because Matthews doesn't have high value? Are you kidding me? Well no ****, Sherlock, it was a 3rd round pick, not a 7th round pick. But that doesn't mean Matthews value isn't high -- it just means it isn't as high as Darby's value -- for a team that was desperate for a good CB.

I found that quite unenlightening, myself.

I personally think that matthews is a classic JAG and will never be that good. Watkins, on the other hand ...

Look--someone has to catch the passes. On the eagles, he was the most reliable of a pretty sorry loy overall. There is a reason the eagles upgraded after the season.

Edited by dave mcbride

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/eagles/mosher-next-man-eagles-carson-wentz/

Friday’s trade that delivered starting cornerback Ronald Darby to the Philadelphia Eagles for receiver Jordan Matthews and a 2018 third-round draft pick sent a resounding message from the Eagles about how bleakly they regarded their cornerback situation and also how modestly they valued Matthews’ production from the slot position.

It also sent an indirect but equally resonant message about the Eagles’ expectations for their most prized possession, second-year quarterback Carson Wentz.

Making up the 900 or so yards that Matthews likely would have given them won’t be as difficult as it might seem. Those who have concerns that new slot receiver Nelson Agholor, who has been a first-round bust so far and hasn’t proven that he can step up to mirror Matthews’ production, aren’t seeing the bigger picture. The Eagles aren’t intending to be as slot-centric as they’ve been the past two years. That’s why they signed proven outside weapons Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith in free agency and drafted North Carolina vertical threat Mack Hollins.

Making up Matthews’ reliability is a different story. Though he was prone to drops and struggled to keep feet inbounds on sideline routes and end zone routes, Matthews was unquestionably Wentz’s go-to receiver on manageable third downs, especially in the face of heavy pressure. Matthews caught Wentz’s first career touchdown pass and then joined Wentz in an choreographed end zone skit.

Watching the Eagles-Packers game now and Matthews had a couple very nice catches and YAC. The guy makes a nice big target.

he is likely a very good fit with Dennison and the "kind" of Team B and S are building.

Bills will find a speedster already on the team methinks.

Darby is going to do well under Jim. Good for Him, Nice Kid for sure.

he is likely a very good fit with Dennison and the "kind" of Team B and S are building.

Bills will find a speedster already on the team methinks.

Darby is going to do well under Jim. Good for Him, Nice Kid for sure.

I just posted in another thread that Rod Streator ran a 4.37 (Sammy ran a 4.43 for reference) 40yd dash. Maybe they use him as the speedster if he makes the team? I think he was a Tracy and field guy too IIRC. Kinda like a Goodwin 2.0 that has hung onto the ball well (so far). lol

I agree about Darby doing well under Jim Shorts (as long as 2016 was more of an anomaly). He will play more man coverage under JS, so that should help compared to McDermott's D scheme here.

Matthews does seem like a great fit, too. Seems like a very high character totally team first McDermott type guy, and a nice fit for a WCO.

I just posted in another thread that Rod Streator ran a 4.37 (Sammy ran a 4.43 for reference) 40yd dash. Maybe they use him as the speedster if he makes the team? I think he was a Tracy and field guy too IIRC. Kinda like a Goodwin 2.0 that has hung onto the ball well (so far). lol

I agree about Darby doing well under Jim Shorts (as long as 2016 was more of an anomaly). He will play more man coverage under JS, so that should help compared to McDermott's D scheme here.

Matthews does seem like a great fit, too. Seems like a very high character totally team first McDermott type guy, and a nice fit for a WCO.

I think you are leaning the right way with Streater.

These are all storylines i will follow as the season develops !

The only way we kept Sammy after this year was the franchise tag. Not picking up his option is a major slight to him.

not a fan of the trade. But the Bills had reservations about his health when they had to make a decision on the option. Do you give a guy 12-13 million if you're not sure about his health? Risky.

The only way we kept Sammy after this year was the franchise tag. Not picking up his option is a major slight to him.

New Staff and Coaches, he must have been aware everyone is expendable.

Has anyone even considered Watkins had suggested it at some point.

Or that Sean said something as a simple as " Maybe you want to play somewhere else? "

jk about the last bit

I'll venture a guess that Jim Schwartz is happy to have Darby:

@TheEaglesWire

Eagles training camp practice notes: Defense, Ronald Darby shine

http://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/14/eagles-training-camp-practice-notes-defense-ronald-darby-shine/

@bills_fanly

Howie Roseman goes inside the Jordan Matthews trade #Bills

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/14/howie-roseman-goes-inside-the-jordan-matthews-trade/

So we traded 1 year of Sammy Watkins with resign potential for another's 1 year rental and a pick.

Brilliant.

Actually, it is pretty smart if you think about the whole situation. If they felt that Sammy was going to be too expensive to re-sign for their tastes, they did a good job at asset management IMO.

They got what should be a high 2nd rounder for Sammy, plus they (separately) acquired a receiver who although is a step down from Sammy has been just as productive on the field and should be cheaper to re-sign. But if he walks they will still have a shot to get the same 3rd round comp pick that they would have got if Sammy left in free agency.

In the end they got a replacement CB for Darby who should fit the scheme better, plus a 2nd, 3rd and either a good replacement wide receiver for this year and maybe long term (Matthews, if re-signed) or the same comp pick they'd have got if Sammy left.

Edit - it's also worth mentioning that the comp pick they potentially would have got for Sammy wouldn't have been until 2019.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

Matthews is in a similar situation to Watkins. It's a contract year for him. Are Bills going to re-sign him?

According to this report, Bills were interested in the pick, and not as much in Matthews. Yes they needed WR depth after Watkins departure. But are the Bills FO working on a long term extension for Matthews where as Rams FO has repeatedly said they made the trade because they want Watkins for long term. Where does Bills FO stand on Matthews long term?

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2017/8/13/16140094/jordan-matthews-throw-in-eagles-bills-trade-contract-extension-philadelphia-ronald-darby-watkins

It’s typically standard for a team trading for a player on a one-year deal to start negotiating a long-term contract. But it sounds like the Bills aren’t in a rush to keep Matthews. The Eagles’ 2018 third-round pick was the real prize of the trade for Buffalo.

Contrast that to what’s going on in Los Angeles with the Rams. They traded with Buffalo because they really wanted Sammy Watkins. Rams GM Les Snead publicly admitted the team wants to extend his contract.

So essentially, we traded Darby for a 3rd round pick and a 1 year rental on Matthews. Unless, our coaches and FO sees Matthews as a long term answer at slot. He has big numbers in the past three years and (they are similar to Watkins') to demand sizable contract:

225 passes for 2,673 yards and 19 scores

So far, we haven't heard what the front office's plans are for Matthews.

They said that they're going to let things play out a bit first. But if he fits in well and has interest in staying here, they will be interested in signing him.

Exactly. That's what confirms that report's suspicions. Beane and McD aren't sold on Matthews. It's likely a rental as Matthews will command a good change and Beane is concerned about managing cap. This trade was about the pick. And to get rid of a corner who didn't fit their scheme. And corners like Darby are hard to come by. Corners who can cover man to man well. See what Eagles' GM said in articles after the trade. Guys like Darby are rarer than elite WRs. That's why Cowherd was saying Eagles won this trade.

Exactly. That's what confirms that report's suspicions. Beane and McD aren't sold on Matthews. It's likely a rental as Matthews will command a good change and Beane is concerned about managing cap. This trade was about the pick. And to get rid of a corner who didn't fit their scheme. And corners like Darby are hard to come by. Corners who can cover man to man well. See what Eagles' GM said in articles after the trade. Guys like Darby are rarer than elite WRs. That's why Cowherd was saying Eagles won this trade.

I agree that the pick was likely the main piece. But I think getting a receiver back for this year was also important. I really do think Matthews is a great fit here, at least character wise. He's definitely a McDermott/Beane type of player to a T.

They've kind of given that same line about a lot of players. I think it's really important to them that they have players who want to be here and are bought in.

We will just have to wait and see what happens. Matthews could fit great and end up pricing himself out anyway. The cool thing is that even if he does walk, they likely still get the same 3rd round comp pick they'd have got if Sammy walked.

The Eagles absolutely won the trade.

Because the value to them at CB, is higher than WR to us. Jim is doing a penalty incurring and fine inducing Celebration Dance right now.
And he doesn't care a dingy about Matthews.

He scored well here.

The Eagles made the right move.

I like Matthews long term. He aint no Watkins. Bills should hope Zay shines his light and draft another one or two for the future.
Gaines? well. I remain open minded.

Go Bills

The Eagles absolutely won the trade.

Because the value to them at CB, is higher than WR to us. Jim is doing a penalty incurring and fine inducing Celebration Dance right now.

And he doesn't care a dingy about Matthews.

He scored well here.

The Eagles made the right move.

I like Matthews long term. He aint no Watkins. Bills should hope Zay shines his light and draft another one or two for the future.

Gaines? well. I remain open minded.

Go Bills

He's going to be the Bills' #1 WR this season. It would have been nice to allow him to acclimate himself to the NFL before placing that kind of pressure on him.

He's going to be the Bills' #1 WR this season. It would have been nice to allow him to acclimate himself to the NFL before placing that kind of pressure on him.

It's the NFL.

Fire and Fury.

Sammy into it, and so shall Zay.

A great story to unfold I hope!

Yessss!

More comp picks instead of valuable veteran depth!

Not if they re-sign Matthews. But even if they don't they still have a chance at 2 players for 1 (with the comp pick) so that does add depth to the team.

If you think about it, keeping one player at a high cap hit (Sammy) when your entire team is lacking depth, actually does more to take away depth than to add to it. Especially when that 1 player will likely take up 1/2 or more of their available 2018 cap space. That could/would prevent them from adding much of that valuable veteran depth you mentioned.

I think there's a good chance they offer Matthews a contract though.

BDN Exclusive, Source: Recently traded Bills player not a big Buffalo fan

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn02/bdn-exclusive-source-recently-traded-bills-player-not-a-big-buffalo-fan-20170816

A person familiar with the situation speaking on the condition of anonymity did not indicate Darby requested a trade, but said the 23-year-old is not heartbroken after being dealt to Philadelphia.

I agree that the pick was likely the main piece. But I think getting a receiver back for this year was also important. I really do think Matthews is a great fit here, at least character wise. He's definitely a McDermott/Beane type of player to a T.

They've kind of given that same line about a lot of players. I think it's really important to them that they have players who want to be here and are bought in.

We will just have to wait and see what happens. Matthews could fit great and end up pricing himself out anyway. The cool thing is that even if he does walk, they likely still get the same 3rd round comp pick they'd have got if Sammy walked.

:wallbash:

Darby looks like a nice fit for Eagles scheme....is ours that much different?

Both Darby and Watkins trades were terrible IMO. I get why they did it if they really feel they couldn't keep Sammy and didn't want to lose him for nothing, and that domino made the Darby trade make more sense. I am more ok with the Darby trade in terms of returned value, however, I still hate the trade.

We had an Elite talent at WR who is healthy and we had DB who contended in 2015 for DROY, both 24 year and 23 years old respectively. Now we lost both and all we got back was a marginal DB, a decent WR, and a couple of draft picks that more than likely don't return the talent we gave up to get them. Just don't like it...both were two guys who had the potential to make a big impact this year with the new system and regime and are young at positions of need.

I like the assets next year, but I prefer known talent every day over future maybes. We will absolutely regret these trades unless we hit big with the draft assets which is not easy to do.