Bills trade Ronald Darby for WR Jordan Matthews, 3rd rd pick

YoloinOhio

Everyone is running around with their hair on fire over the change at WR.

I'm way more curious about our CBs. We've lost both Gilmore and Darby now. It's hard for me to believe that our young defensive minded Head Coach is going to pin his hopes and career on this new line up unless he's pretty sure his defense can withstand the changes. I'm praying that Gaines is a baller.

Agreed I have no clue who our #2 CB is. Wouldn't be surprised to see us make another move.

This is a good move.

The Watkins one, not so much.

THe Watkins one is hurting only because what we paid initially to get him. The problem with Watkins is that for a guy coming in as a #4 overall, he has done very little for this team. At the end performance and results speaks for themselves with this regime. I hope they will be able to hold everyone equally as responsible as they held Watkins and Darby. This goes for Dareus, Wood, Glenn, and Hughes.

Agreed I have no clue who our #2 CB is. Wouldn't be surprised to see us make another move.

I think Kevin will have a big role on this team

Everyone is running around with their hair on fire over the change at WR.

I'm way more curious about our CBs. We've lost both Gilmore and Darby now. It's hard for me to believe that our young defensive minded Head Coach is going to pin his hopes and career on this new line up unless he's pretty sure his defense can withstand the changes. I'm praying that Gaines is a baller.

can you say Shareece White ?

No reason for anyone to worry about the Secondary. 0:)

Leodis was released/or not picked up by Philly. at 32 years old.

:devil:

He looks thrilled

looks like he feels Philly will miss him. Is My Man Jim Schwartz still coaching Philly D ?

I've heard they really like Seymour as well.

I think he will the be the surprise #2.

feel free to berate me later.

who could step up to nickel and dime if seymour moves up the depth chart?

still need another CB upgrade.

BRING BACK ROBEY

can you say Shareece White ?

No reason for anyone to worry about the Secondary. 0:)

Leodis was released/or not picked up by Philly. at 32 years old.

:devil:

looks like he feels Philly will miss him. Is My Man Jim Schwartz still coaching Philly D ?

I think he will the be the surprise #2.

feel free to berate me later.

who could step up to nickel and dime if seymour moves up the depth chart?

still need another CB upgrade.

BRING BACK ROBEY

Im also in the Seymore camp. Kid has potential jus gotta get healthy

I've heard they really like Seymour as well.

Yep.

Im also in the Seymore camp. Kid has potential jus gotta get healthy

Yep.

Kid has the body the size . He read up well coming in. I think he had to sit his senior year due to injury and we picked him up late. a fifth ?

I don't recall details. I just decided at some point i liked him on the field. mistakes and good plays.

Cbs take some time, even today.

Kid has the body the size . He read up well coming in. I think he had to sit his senior year due to injury and we picked him up late. a fifth ?

I don't recall details. I just decided at some point i liked him on the field. mistakes and good plays.

Cbs take some time, even today.

Yeah hes got the long arms and he had the eye surgery storyline where before nfl $$$ he had like 20 -10 vision or something crazy that messed with his depth perception and he still overcame that to have a good ncaa career. Def an underdog to root for

Yeah hes got the long arms and he had the eye surgery storyline where before nfl $$$ he had like 20 -10 vision or something crazy that messed with his depth perception and he still overcame that to have a good ncaa career. Def an underdog to root for

yeppers Kiddo.

when he made it to Buffalo they looked into why he was never making interceptions even though he was on the ball. He said the lights were often an issue as well.

I miss Donnie Henderson

I can see why people don't like the Sammy trade and the value the Bills for back...

But the trade, the value seems pretty damn good to me. We got Jordan Matthews, who has been the NFL's most productive slot receiver in his 3 years in the league. Plus we got a 3rd round pick back, that should likely be in the top 1/2'of the round.

Darby was a #51 overall pick himself (I know that doesn't matter now). That 3rd could be around +/- 75 (ish). So you get a pick back 25?spots later than where Darby was drafted, PLUS the most productive slot receiver in the NFL - a very likely 1st round pick if he had entered the draft a year sooner instead of entering in one of the deepest WR drafts (if not the deepest) in NFL history - for a guy the coaching staff seemed to feel didn't fit the new defensive scheme as well, and they could have possibly even ended up cutting down the road (especially if he didn't rebound from his 2016 season).

We don't know what Darby is yet, either. He's played 2 years in the league. 1 year was very good, the other year was pretty ugly. So he's been good for 1/2 his career and not so good for 1/2 his career so far.

I do expect him to rebound under Schwartz, but what if 2016 Darby ends up being who he really is? Then this trade looks even better.

McDermott has done a great job with his secondary so far in his career. It's something he's known for.

Even last year when he lost a top 3 CB (5th round pick Josh Norman who McD basically developed into the player that he is today), has other injures and was forced to start 2 later round rookie CB's, he had them playing damn good football by the 2nd half of the year. He's had pretty damn good secondary for most of his career.

If McDermott feels that Darby is more suited to man coverage and is struggling in zone (more thinking involved in zone for CB's, may not be Darby's strong suit) as some in the media have been saying, then it was very smart to move on now, before his value possibly dropped, and get something significant for a player that was drafted for the previous coaches completely opposite defensive scheme.

Ok... I'm shocked. All eyes on the future I guess. I'm not sure I get why they kept TT then. Why sign Anquan to a 1yr deal? Just tank. All of this talk about not surrendering the season is just that, talk. The team is much less likely to make any sort of push this year. If your plan is to really start it next year, then get the first pick in each round.

I wonder how Kyle Williams feels about coming back now. They're going nowhere this year.

I disagree.

I'd guess they kept Tyrod because he's been the best QB the Bills have had in like 2 decades, has only started 2 seasons in the NFL, showed quite a bit of promise in those 2 seasons and is the hardest working player in the entire building.

With the 2 seasons he's out together for the Bills, I'd say he deserves a shot at season 3. They are hoping he takes a nice step forward.

With how hard it is to find decent QBs in the NFL, it seems like a very smart move to me not just throwing TT away and hoping that with good coaching he can improve. Plus, Dennison wanted to work with him and has had a pretty good history with getting good play from his QBs.

McDermott most likely would not have been able to put together the coaching staff he did if the Bills were just tanking the season. McDermott put together a top of the line coaching staff IMO. I think we have many very good position coaches, the line coaches (Waufle and Castillo) being among the very best in the NFL.

Also, how do you go about building a new culture and actually getting players to buy in, if they came in and tanked their first season? I would think that'd be a damn hard sell for pretty much any player on the team.

They are trying to establish the foundation this season of a solid culture (not filled with constant losing) to develop to their plethora of upcoming draft picks in as well as their current picks on the roster. While at the same time acquiring solid draft capital for players they felt no longer fit the new regime. They've amassed a solid haul of draft picks without having to totally tank like Cleveland or the Jets. It's actually not a bad plan at all IMO. You don't need top 3 draft picks to build an NFL team. Game changers can be found all through out the draft, especially the first few rounds. It's not the NHL where you truly need a top,pick to get a franchise talent.

The Eagles really seem down after losing Matthews. If he was that important to their team, I'm looking forward to what he brings to our team in the locker room and in the field

Some player reactions -

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/8/11/16135262/carson-wentz-eagles-players-react-jordan-matthews-traded-bills-buffalo-philadelphia-news-twitter

I especially liked this one -

"I've known my dawg J Matt for a little over a year. From day 1 he was genuine & a true friend. I've known people my entire life who haven't challenged me to be a Man of God, & push myself as an athlete, as he has in a year of time. You've helped me prioritize what's important in life! Stay BLESSED family & be GREAT in Buffalo!!✊ #BigDogOutTheGate"

You can really see the type of players this new regime is focusing on. They really seem to put an emphasis on true team first character guys. It's actually very intriguing. I'm pretty excited to see how this works out. I have high hopes.

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo got better for 2018 and beyond. Watkins wasn't going to be in their long term plans. You can't pay the money he's going to want without a franchise QB in place and his injury problems. Darby obviously wasn't a good fit for this defense or I believe he wouldnt of been traded. People complainin about these moves either have a jersey or these players or can't come to grips that this team wasn't making the playoffs with or without those players.

Edited by PABillsfan23

Buffalo got better for 2018 and beyond. Watkins wasn't going to be in their long term plans. You can't pay the money he's going to want without a franchise QB in place and his injury problems. Darby obviously wasn't a good fit for this defense or I believe he wouldnt of been traded. People complainin about these moves either have a jersey or these players or can't come to grips that this team wasn't making the playoffs with or without those players.

Why not? Why can't a good man to man corner play zone occasionally. That doesn't make sense. Wouldn't have

as was Gaines. The players are to compensate for numbers at the position that the Bills will need to replace. They are both starting caliber, but the trades were about the picks.

Regarding that article - the Rams gave up a draft asset for Watkins. Of course they are going to *want* to sign him long-term.

That's a good and informative article. Thanks for posting it.

Really? I thought that was a fairly crappy article, filled with complete speculation. Matthews value isn't high because he's going into a contract year? But that's not true for Sammy? Oh, and "this trade wasn’t just a player-for-player swap" and the draft pick had to be included because Matthews doesn't have high value? Are you kidding me? Well no ****, Sherlock, it was a 3rd round pick, not a 7th round pick. But that doesn't mean Matthews value isn't high -- it just means it isn't as high as Darby's value -- for a team that was desperate for a good CB.

I found that quite unenlightening, myself.

Really? I thought that was a fairly crappy article, filled with complete speculation. Matthews value isn't high because he's going into a contract year? But that's not true for Sammy? Oh, and "this trade wasnt just a player-for-player swap" and the draft pick had to be included because Matthews doesn't have high value? Are you kidding me? Well no ****, Sherlock, it was a 3rd round pick, not a 7th round pick. But that doesn't mean Matthews value isn't high -- it just means it isn't as high as Darby's value -- for a team that was desperate for a good CB.

I found that quite unenlightening, myself.

Sammy's contract situation did likely impact his value - but the Bills still got what will likely be a relatively high 2nd rounder had a young player. Matthews contract situation impacts him as well. The difference is that the Rams gave up a high draft pick to get Sammy so they obviously have to try to sign him. To give up a high draft pick for a 1 year rental on a team likely not contending this year would be a disaster. The Bills situation is different - they gained the draft pick. They may want to try to sign him - but they don't need to feel obligated to do so. They can give it some time and see how he does, and value him appropriately, Edited by YoloinOhio

Sammy's contract situation did likely impact his value - but the Bills still got what will likely be a relatively high 2nd rounder had a young player. Matthews contract situation impacts him as well. The difference is that the Rams gave up a high draft pick to get Sammy so they obviously have to try to sign him. To give up a high draft pick for a 1 year rental on a team likely not contending this year would be a disaster. The Bills situation is different - they gained the draft pick. They may want to try to sign him - but they don't need to feel obligated to do so. They can give it some time and see how he does, and value him appropriately,

Perhaps, and I wouldn't say the Bills are obligated to sign Matthews, but if you believe the plan is to stock draft picks to move up and select a QB, then letting Matthews walk leaves a big hole at WR that they may not be able to fill with that draft pick. Given that Boldin is also on a one-year contract, that becomes a pretty big hole.

That's a good and informative article. Thanks for posting it.

How was it "informative"?

It was pure speculation that didn't quote a single person behind the thinking or even connected to the thinking of the trade.

Let woods and Sammy walk and then spend $10m per on Matthews wouldn't be my favorite

No way they spend $10m on Matthews, unless he has a career year and even then it would be a stretch. However, I wouldn't be surprised if someone was willing to pay close to that amount, Woods got $8m and Matthews is a clear step above him.