Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

Also - not for nothing, but if you follow the Bills on Instagram you know that they've been featuring Sammy in their marketing pretty much non-stop for the entire offseason.

I'm telling you, consumer fraud.

Why would the GM tell the PR team not to use him on Instagram?

Football is a dynamic business.

Curious to see if Sammy has anything to say to the Buffalo fans, or if he leaves acting like the Twitter Prima Donna we've seen in the past. Just read his twitter. Good riddance Sammy.

Twitter Prima Donna? Why because he told off a few losers harassing him on his personal social media? Wow. The idiocy on this board knows no bounds.

The most frustrating part of all this is that we trade up for Watkins. He was supposed to be the face of our franchise for years to come. And we get a second round pick for him and an average CB? That's the best we could do for a 24yr old Watkins?

The lesson is to never trade up for a WR when you're trying to justify a guy like EJ as your starting QB.

They don't trust Sammy staying on the field and Darby wasn't a fit.

Pretty simple for me.

Head scratcher on the surface, but very understandable.

We won't know the returns on these trades for a few years.

We can't get on a new regime for trading away players from previous failing regimes.

Bills could still be a good team this year, but FOR ONCE, look like they have a real future.

At first I was pissed but now I'm where you are at. Boldin, Zay, JMath & Holmes isn't horrible by asn't stretch. Just need MORE speed IMO.

We still got Shady & Clay too.

No Tank, sorry Mike Rodent.

That's, actually, not very good. Even an optimistic take is We have a bunch of 2-4 WRs in that list. Only way you get away with that is elite qb play. Couple that with a question mark at TE with nothing behind him...

I think the list of teams with worse pass catchers would be short right now and as you mention- no speed to respect.

Take a look at this and take a deep breath folks.

[url=https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/11/16135964/sammy-watkins-buffalo-bills-los-angeles-rams-trade]https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/11/16135964/sammy-watkins-buffalo-bills-los-angeles-rams-trade[/url

Thanks for posting the article. Good read. Covers Sammy trade well but very little on Darby.

Pretty simple for me.

We can't get on a new regime for trading away players from previous failing regimes.

Bills could still be a good team this year, but FOR ONCE, look like they have a real future.

Darby at his price tag is pretty much a fit for every team and I don't believe Gaines is a better scheme fit- but you are welcome to make an argument why he is

Gilmore was a top tier CB. You may not think so but the Patriots certainly do.

Gilmore was a gun shy waste of a draft pick, much like Spiller and virtually every other 1st round pick the Bills have drafted for many, many years.

I am guessing that Bellichick will not have him starting before the end of the season.

Pretty simple for me.

I'm not sure how the future looks so much brighter due to a 2nd round draft pick, vs a talented WR that finally looks to be healthy again. But Ok.

That's, actually, not very good. Even an optimistic take is We have a bunch of 2-4 WRs in that list. Only way you get away with that is elite qb play. Couple that with a question mark at TE with nothing behind him...

I think the list of teams with worse pass catchers would be short right now and as you mention- no speed to respect.

While I am leaning positive on the moves right now, I will agree that the lack of speed is going to be an issue for this team unless we can find someone else to bring in. Having to respect Goodwin and/or Sammy deep undoubtedly opened up more field for the run game.

While I am leaning positive on the moves right now, I will agree that the lack of speed is going to be an issue for this team unless we can find someone else to bring in. Having to respect Goodwin and/or Sammy deep undoubtedly opened up more field for the run game.

And speed at WR plays to our qbs strength in the passing game.

Like Gilmore, McKelvin or Whitner?

Gilmore just got $40m guaranteed from Belicheck. Whitner wasn't great but still went to 3 Pro Bowls and had a 10 year career. McKelvin is still kicking around as wel (about to sign with the Saints). Those picks were infinitely better than Mike Williams, Aaron Maybin, Losman, Flowers, McCargo and EJ. Despite your disdain for the DBs they've been good players for the most part.

I'm a bit surprised that we traded Darby. I thought Darby and White would've been a solid tandem for our defense...

This team is obviously making a move next year to draft a QB. Just wondering who it'll be

The Darby trade is actually more difficult for me to comprehend than the Sammy trade.

I'm not sure how the future looks so much brighter due to a 2nd round draft pick, vs a talented WR that finally looks to be healthy again. But Ok.

They see it differently.

I'll just see how it plays out before I bash them.

Gilmore just got $40m guaranteed from Belicheck. Whitner wasn't great but still went to 3 Pro Bowls and had a 10 year career. McKelvin is still kicking around as wel (about to sign with the Saints). Those picks were infinitely better than Mike Williams, Aaron Maybin, Losman, Flowers, McCargo and EJ. Despite your disdain for the DBs they've been good players for the most part.

Yeah and the wins sure did pile up. :) You must have loved the '06 draft!

Btw, the 6 picks look good now, but don't you think that several of them will be traded away and others wasted?

Edited by Bill from NYC

Yeah and the wins sure did pile up. :) You must have loved the '06 draft!

Btw, the 6 picks look good now, but don't you think that several of them will be traded away and others wasted?

The wins didn't pile up with the crappy linemen either. The DBs helped the team more than those guys that I listed.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Bills mess this up. My biggest fear is that they use a bunch of capital to move up and take the wrong guy at QB. Imagine dumping all of these guys and still downgrading at QB?!? If they get the QB right they'll be heading in the right direction.

The wins didn't pile up with the crappy linemen either. The DBs helped the team more than those guys that I listed.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Bills mess this up. My biggest fear is that they use a bunch of capital to move up and take the wrong guy at QB. Imagine dumping all of these guys and still downgrading at QB?!? If they get the QB right they'll be heading in the right direction.

That is the nightmare scenario now.

How are you "sure" they are going to mess this up?

Gilmore was a gun shy waste of a draft pick, much like Spiller and virtually every other 1st round pick the Bills have drafted for many, many years.

I am guessing that Bellichick will not have him starting before the end of the season.

Bill, when it comes to the DB position you have a reflexive jaundiced eye. In a league designed for the passing game having good DBs is very important. Your position on this is concrete hardened. So I don't expect you to be receptive to an opposing position. Belichick is the best coach in the game and arguably in the modern era, and specializes on the defensive side of the ball. He has dedicated a lot of money to the CB position this season for another SB run. Why do you think he has done that?