Josh Rosen's Comments on academics and football

Rosen is regurgitating what's already been said about NCAA Football. Nothing new here nor intelligent.

If anything that's what damning. He tried to sound intelligent. But added no insight.

Just another quarterback who's been taught he owns the world.

QBs are princes of US.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baker Mayfield

I would definitely include Mayfield in mid 1st round looks...

Rosen is regurgitating what's already been said about NCAA Football. Nothing new here nor intelligent.

If anything that's what damning. He tried to sound intelligent. But added no insight.

QBs are princes of US.

He's been told since he was 10 yrs old he's the next great NFL QB. Came out of SJBHS over hyped and has been uninspiring at the Rose Bowl. Just attended a special Jim Mora meet and greet at the Rose Bowl a month ago and he avoided Rosen questions like the plague. Josh has all the physical gifts but his Jay Cutler personality scares me.

He's dead on and is going to be a stud at the next level. I didn't plan on UCLA's level in college and it was insane what they expect football players to balance. He plays with crappy WRs and has to carry that offense on his back. I would love to have him on this team.

I would suspect that there is a group of people that don't like him because he doesn't support that orange moron.

He's been told since he was 10 yrs old he's the next great NFL QB. Came out of SJBHS over hyped and has been uninspiring at the Rose Bowl. Just attended a special Jim Mora meet and greet at the Rose Bowl a month ago and he avoided Rosen questions like the plague. Josh has all the physical gifts but his Jay Cutler personality scares me.

So the guy who runs away from cops while drunk is fine but not the guy who says "things?"

QBs are princes of US.

This makes no sense. The guy has money and doesn't need to speak out at all. I know some of you will hate this but he isn't just the normal rich kid. https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/players-tribune-josh-rosen-donald-trump-criticism/amp

Rosen has an abrasive attitude that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Connor Cook had similar issues coming out of college. I don't see Rosen succeeding in the pros for those very reasons. As a QB you need at the very least to get along with guys on a superficial level. Leadership is such an important attribute for a QB to possess. Guys with Cutler like attitudes can't provide the necessary leadership.

Rosen has an abrasive attitude that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Connor Cook had similar issues coming out of college. I don't see Rosen succeeding in the pros for those very reasons. As a QB you need at the very least to get along with guys on a superficial level. Leadership is such an important attribute for a QB to possess. Guys with Cutler like attitudes can't provide the necessary leadership.

Cook was such a d-bag.

Oh look a millennial whining about have to work too hard... ugh

Look someone who didn't read the article. Big time schools push you to certain majors and classes so they don't interfere with football. His point was the schools aren't looking out for the best interests of the athletes. Which they aren't.

Ohio State flat out told Robert Smith he couldn't go to medical school because his classes would interfere with football. The NCAA is a sham.

Unless there is a major change in his game (and resiliency) this season, I want nothing to do with this kid.

I dont care what he said in the article, or if I agree with it. I dont like him on the field or as a "leader" so he's already off my list.

That said, I'll be watching him closely this year and hope to see some mental/emotional growth.

Really thought his comments were spot on. Brought up the fact that Alabama would be different team if they raised SAT requirements. Good chance he could be in a bills uni next year which adds extra relevance.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20284353/josh-rosen-ucla-bruins-says-football-school-go-together-ponders-alabama-success-sat-requirement-raised

I also thought his comments were spot-on.

My friend's daughter went to school on a DI volleyball scholarship and even there 1) the athletic requirements were close to having a full time job + going to school -she could handle it, but when you take a kid who is academically marginal, I can see that they couldn't 2) a number of schools that recruited her, made it clear that certain majors (eg engineering) would be off-limits 3) the school she attended, agreeing that she would major in engineering, then tried to push her to not take required classes if they would interfere in any way with any part of the athletic training - for example, the coach told her she had to switch majors instead of taking a required prerequisite class as a junior that interfered with "voluntary" weight training. She suggested the coaches provide her with the workout and she would come in on her own time and get it done. They suggested she would be disciplined and could lose her scholarship for that. It was eventually resolved at the Dean level (she took the class, and graduated summa cum laude) but this was at a "lesser" DI school - I can only imagine the pressures that would be brought to bear for a "money" sport at a top DI program.

The reality is that NCAA sports esp. football and basketball, are a huge money maker for colleges, and that doesn't trickle down to supporting the students in getting an education vs. "staying eligible". This is exploitive, given the small number of kids who will continue at the pro level.

I have thought for years that the NFL should have farm teams analogous to minor-league baseball, where kids who are football-talented but uninterested in school could pursue learning football. It would be good for teams, because they could see to it that players were coached in a way that enables them to perform in the NFL. It would be bad for the colleges "cash cow" of football because it would compete with their product for talented, unacademic players and presumably for viewing audience, but ultimately good for colleges because they could go back to being institutions of learning.

Oh look a millennial whining about have to work too hard... ugh

You know, you might want to read the actual comments before opining. Just sayin'.

QBs are princes of US.

Um, something can be not new, but still a propos and worth repeating? Unless he claimed it was novel thinking (which he didn't), I don't see what makes it un-intelligent.

The hot tub story shows him as a guy who feels pretty entitled, the comments don't.

I'd be OK with him pissing off just enough people to fall to the Bills.

I actually had this thought. Huh.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

As a 35 yr Bruin season ticket holder I'd say no. He's somewhat of an entitled premadonna who Mora has had to coddle since day 1. Yes he has a big arm but so did Leaf. Darnold is the prize who will be long gone by our turn. Consider Allen or Falk or pray Tyrod figures it out....

Rosen is hardly the problem. I suggest reading this: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/5/30/15704320/ucla-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster .

Again, read above. He's been a lot better player than you suggest. Look at that run game. It has been historically awful the past two seasons.

Unless there is a major change in his game (and resiliency) this season, I want nothing to do with this kid.

I dont care what he said in the article, or if I agree with it. I dont like him on the field or as a "leader" so he's already off my list.

That said, I'll be watching him closely this year and hope to see some mental/emotional growth.

From the broken record dept: read the link above before you judge his game.

Rosen is hardly the problem. I suggest reading this: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/5/30/15704320/ucla-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster .

Again, read above. He's been a lot better player than you suggest. Look at that run game. It has been historically awful the past two seasons.

He also has thrown to WRs who are like 7th round draft picks at best. He couldn't be more unlike Cutler. Very lazy comparison.

Really thought his comments were spot on. Brought up the fact that Alabama would be different team if they raised SAT requirements. Good chance he could be in a bills uni next year which adds extra relevance.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20284353/josh-rosen-ucla-bruins-says-football-school-go-together-ponders-alabama-success-sat-requirement-raised

Oh waaa...crybaby.

Welcome to life.

I work full time, go to school full time(14 credit hours this semester---5 classes) in pursuit of my computer science degree which I don't even really need because I already work full time as a computer programmer, have a wife and kids, go the gym religiously, and am the lead developer on an open source Football game being developed and worked on by 10-15 people.

Pretty sure I'm a little busier than he is and I'm not complaining.

Edited by matter2003

As a 35 yr Bruin season ticket holder I'd say no. He's somewhat of an entitled premadonna who Mora has had to coddle since day 1. Yes he has a big arm but so did Leaf. Darnold is the prize who will be long gone by our turn. Consider Allen or Falk or pray Tyrod figures it out....

You know who else was considered this back in the day? He was the Miami QB, I believe his name was Jim Kelly.