Unworthy HOF members

Ok last thread start for the day. With the new HOF member induction this week, I thought I would start a thread on those players I think were overrated and dis not deserve enshrinement

Lynn Swan - he simply does not have the numbers. He has the highlight reel catches but not the career numbers to justify HOF status.

As for this year, I don't think Kurt Warner nor Terrell Davis should have been voted in. Certainly not before TO.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok last thread start for the day. With the new HOF member induction this week, I thought I would start a thread on those players I think were overrated and dis not deserve enshrinement

Lynn Swan - he simply does not have the numbers. He has the highlight reel catches but not the career numbers to justify HOF status.

As for this year, I don't think Kurt Warner nor Terrell Davis should have been voted in. Certainly not before TO.

Kurt Warner should absolutely be in. he took 2 different teams to the super bowl. they weren't glamour teams either. the rams and the cardinals enjoyed probably the most success in their history with him guiding them.

Lynn Swann - he simply does not have the numbers. He has the highlight reel catches but not the career numbers to justify HOF status.

Different era of football and he played great in the biggest games. He deserves to be in and so does Kurt Warner.

I dont think TD should be in the hall of fame. He was a great player but he only had 4 good years playing for a good team with a HOF QB and one of the greatest TE's. If he played longer, I think he would have had the stats for the hall of fame.

Joe Namath should not be in the HOF. Overall, he was a terrible QB.

Beat me to it by a minute.

He's famous for the swagger, which was a nice microcosm of the brash AFL.

That, and calling his shot in SBIII, in which he sucked.

"Thanks Joe!"

"YEEEEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Joe Namath should not be in the HOF. Overall, he was a terrible QB.

He made the plays when it mattered against the Colts. Because of him, people took the AFL seriously. Otherwise yeah he wasn't great.

Edited by GhostsofBillsPast

no offense to the old timers but a lot of those guys wouldn't even make a practice squad in today's NFL. bigger, stronger, faster. you can probably say the same about any sport though

Moot point when looking at players across different eras. Was the player dominant or great in his own era is the key question for HOF worthiness.

He made the plays when it mattered against the Colts. Because of him, people took the AFL seriously. Otherwise yeah he wasn't great.

Because of him? Was it his 206 yards passing with zero TD's the reason they won the game or was it because the Jets defense held the Colts to 7 points?

Namath has a career 50% completion percentage (awful), TD/INT is 173/220 (awful), career QB rating 65.5 (awful)

He was a pretty bad QB.

I dont think TD should be in the hall of fame. He was a great player but he only had 4 good years playing for a good team with a HOF QB and one of the greatest TE's. If he played longer, I think he would have had the stats for the hall of fame.

Those 4 years weren't good, they were incredible, and no voter will discredit a player for being on a good team. He was more important to those Super Bowls than Elway or Sharp. His playoff rushing numbers are #1 in league history by a good margin.

HOF is not just about cumulative stats, I think he deserves to be in.

I think this is a pretty impossible question to answer. With the benefit of hindsight, many players from the 60s and 70s could be overrated, but it's so tough to compare eras.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

As for this year, Jason Taylor has no business being a first time ballot entry, he could have waited. In fact you could make a case that Jason Taylor does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame at all.

Terrell Davis & Morten Andersen are not worthy at all.

Hall Of Fame members who should be booted out:

Joe Namath

Kevin Greene

Jerome Bettis

John Stallworth

Cortez Kennedy

John Randle

Can't think of any others right now.

It's a case of whether or not you believe it should be about the entire career or what the represented at a time in the NFL.

Kurt Warner and the greatest show on turf was a very big moment for the NFL. It was just insane what they were doing. FFL leagues had him, Bruce, and Warner going 1-2-3. Never have I seen such a thing.

TD just couldn't stay healthy. But when he did for those few seasons, I'd compare him to any RB in history. He was just a tank.

I can see both sides of it. But for me, I want to walk the hall of fame and see the transition of greatness through history. Those two and what they represented were part of that.

I'll get flamed here, but Andre Reed is less deserving that those two. He was very good for a long time, but never dominant. To me, I'd rather have TD in his prime on my team than Andre Reed.