NFL Willing to Work with Players on MJ for Pain Management

Once again - think of Randy Moss (30 for 30: Rand U) He was high during high school and college games. Why not the NFL?

You've surmised that 25% of NFL players are high during games based on Randy Moss supposedly being high in high school and college?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've surmised that 25% of NFL players are high during games based on Randy Moss supposedly being high in high school and college?

I'm using the same percentages that you use in claiming they don't. Based on our own #99, I'm think my estimate is conservative. As for the argument that the incidence rate goes down as the stakes get higher, once again, refer to #99's $100 million contract ("how could he do such a thing?")

So people only smoke weed when they're stressed out? Got it.

Wait...I thought you were the one who said they smoke after games in order to relax and unwind?

Are you ready for bed? Because you need to finish your homework before you go to bed. Now go finish your homework.

LOL with your thinking they should be smoking crack and meth the whole week leading up to the game. And then they can take the head off their opponent

Do you have anything that resembles constructive input or just generic snarkiness?

Wait...I thought you were the one who said they smoke after games in order to relax and unwind?

I don't think I said that.

My assumption (and this is pure speculation) is that they smoke after games. Why do I think that? Because I don't see how it can help if it's a pre-game ritual.

By the same token, my assumption is that players who drink a lot and are getting DWI's are probably not drinking pre-game.

I don't think I said that.

My assumption (and this is pure speculation) is that they smoke after games. Why do I think that? Because I don't see how it can help if it's a pre-game ritual.

By the same token, my assumption is that players who drink a lot and are getting DWI's are probably not drinking pre-game.

As far as I know, ETOH (whether pre-game or post-game) isn't illegal.

How does testing once per year prevent players smoking on their way to the stadium?

Players are not tested regularly unless they are already in the league's drug program (for failing a previous test). They could theoretically smoke on their way to the stadium right now, and since they won't have to take another drug test until next year, how would the coach know?

So again, it would be no different than it is now.

It's random. So yes it does. Many players have been caught and suspended.

You have no idea what the point is, do you? I'd think you'd be on the side of reason here, but even that escapes you.

You have no clue. The point is i don't want Bills players practicing or playing high.

But the high lasts for an hour or two.

Marijuana has many chemical components. Canabidol, or CBD, is where many of the medicinal benefits come from but you can't get a buzz from it.

So, legalize strains that are high in CBD and low in THC. If the medical mj movement is TRULY about medicine, do that. It's not, though. By and large, it's an excuse for people to get high.

...why do NFL guys smoke it?

Are they that stressed out? Don't they want to be more upbeat and on edge as a player?

I haven't smoked it (more of a beer guy), but the effects of pot (from what others have said) is contrary to what NFL players should be looking for in terms of their approach to the game (relaxed vs detail oriented). Am I wrong?

This post and subsequent comments by your are dripping with suburban ignorance, bias, and prejudice. If you're coming here, of all places, to get your information on the effects of weed, you need to spread your internet wings beyond TBD. Jesus. Do some research. And take the foil hat off, it's not 1955.

As far as I know, ETOH (whether pre-game or post-game) isn't illegal.

Maybe I missed the point of your post. I thought you were questioning why a player would smoke weed when it could negatively affect his performance.

I merely suggested that it was a post-game thing that wouldn't affect his performance and made a comparison to drinking.

Are they that stressed out? Don't they want to be more upbeat and on edge as a player?

I haven't smoked it (more of a beer guy), but the effects of pot (from what others have said) is contrary to what NFL players should be looking for in terms of their approach to the game (relaxed vs detail oriented). Am I wrong?

Are you really asking this?

Use your half-baked brain. Honest question. Marijuana slows your reaction time...why use it in an ultra-reactive sport?

So when you make $600,000 per game, you feel stressed out and need something to take the edge off? Got it.

I'm sure it's different for each individual. Some may do it just to kick back, but I'm sure many do it for the medicinal purposes. I can tell you from experience that it can cure a massive headache within minutes, and I'm sure plenty of people that smash heads with each other get headaches.

This post and subsequent comments by your are dripping with suburban ignorance, bias, and prejudice. If you're coming here, of all places, to get your information on the effects of weed, you need to spread your internet wings beyond TBD. Jesus. Do some research. And take the foil hat off, it's not 1955.

Prejudice???? Lol. You serious?

So, legalize strains that are high in CBD and low in THC. If the medical mj movement is TRULY about medicine, do that. It's not, though. By and large, it's an excuse for people to get high.

What is the BFD if people want to get a little buzz after work? Why is that bad but pounding some martinis is fine?

There is so much misinformation and plain wrong thinking around weed. Legalization isn't going to open the flood gates of new pot smokers. Millions of people already smoke. And the billions they spend could be part of the legal economy.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The effects of smoking a bowl only last about 30min to an hour (unless you have some especially potent stuff).

Games are ~3 hours long. There's no reason why these guys would toke up before a game unless they were the 4th string QB or something. It would not be a positive for them on the field. On the other hand, smoking the night before to relax or get some sleep won't have a negative effect on them the next day for the same reason.

Maybe it might make the offensive coordinator's play-calling a little more creative? That's about the only possible, directly football-related benefit I see from marijuana.

The indirect benefits (pain relief, stress relief, sleeping aid, etc.) are there though.

Do a little research. The whole reason marijuana was made illegal in 1937 was because black and Mexican people smoked the stuff. The worry was white kids would start too.

Not to mention the industries that would be affected by the mass use of hemp (lumber, textiles, even synthetics, etc.).

What is the BFD if people want to get a little buzz after work? Why is that bad but pounding some martinis is fine?

There is so much misinformation and plain wrong thinking around weed. Legalization isn't going to open the flood gates of new pot smokers. Millions of people already smoke. And the billions they spend could be part of the legal economy.

Then call it what it is. It's not an attempt to legalize mj for medicine. It's an attempt to legalize it for recreation.

BTW, the BFD is people that just wanna get high often do so at the expense of others. Why not just legalize cocaine, while we are at it? Opium? MDMA? All come from natural sources. What's the BFD?

Edited by Sig1Hunter

Do a little research. The whole reason marijuana was made illegal in 1937 was because black and Mexican people smoked the stuff. The worry was white kids would start too.

Your comment (not to mention the other guy above) is dripping with condescension. Is there a way to have a reasonable discussion without the preachiness vibe?

Your comment (not to mention the other guy above) is dripping with condescension. Is there a way to have a reasonable discussion without the preachiness vibe?

I guess I wasn't sure if you were being condescending with your original question. If you weren't then you really have the wrong idea about what pot does to you.

The short answer is it's not much different than alcohol. A little gives you a nice feeling. Too much and you're a mess.

The effect is short-lived, as someone already pointed out. No football player in his right mind would smoke before a game. But if he lights up on his off-day he'll be perfectly fine the next day.

And the story about why it's illegal is true. There has always been a racial aspect to pot.

It's random. So yes it does. Many players have been caught and suspended.

You have no clue. The point is i don't want Bills players practicing or playing high.

Players not in the "drug intervention program" are only tested 1 time per year between April 20th and august 9th (that's before the season starts), although most tests are done during training camp.

So again, how does that prevent someone from smoking before a game? As long as they don't smoke during that small windows between April and august, they can smoke as much as they want the rest of the year.

http://deadspin.com/its-remarkably-easy-to-beat-nfl-drug-testing-1695935246

I'm not arguing, just wondering if you will expand on this?

Regardless, reducing opiod use should be a high priority.

He is a little off. Very little if any record of anyone OD'ing on weed.

Possibly he is thinking about long term smoking of weed being more harmful than cigarette's for cancer risk and COPD risk. Weed is more toxic and abrasive to lungs as they have no filters. And street weed is very toxic as no one really knows what it is cut with. Legalizing it and commercial manufacturing adding a filter would be a good way to progress on this.(I still prefer pill form for pain)

NFL should approve the pill form only.

Edited by cba fan

Who says it's not a game thing? Is there a "pot-a-lyzer" device that screens the players each game? I would wager 25% of players are high on game day.

It's zero percent because highs only last about 35-45 minutes. They're not smoking on the sidelines.

Prejudice???? Lol. You serious?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/nixon-aide-war-drugs-tool-target-black-people-article-1.2573832

I guess I wasn't sure if you were being condescending with your original question. If you weren't then you really have the wrong idea about what pot does to you.

The short answer is it's not much different than alcohol. A little gives you a nice feeling. Too much and you're a mess.

The effect is short-lived, as someone already pointed out. No football player in his right mind would smoke before a game. But if he lights up on his off-day he'll be perfectly fine the next day.

And the story about why it's illegal is true. There has always been a racial aspect to pot.

This. I would add there are some people who strongly believe cannabis is an anti-inflammatory, pain/stress reliever and sleep aid. Without the harmful effects on the body like alcohol and no hangover the next morning.

I'm in the camp that thinks players only smoke at night and on off days.

You do it after a game not before.

If you don't get it, you don't get it.

If you haven't tried it, you can't knock it imo.

Use your half-baked brain. Honest question. Marijuana slows your reaction time...why use it in an ultra-reactive sport?

So when you make $600,000 per game, you feel stressed out and need something to take the edge off? Got it.

more like the crap beat out of you and extremely sore......to relax and temporarily reduce the pain.....so tired of people who get drunk all the time criticizing marijuana use ( not you, just in general) If you've never smoked you can't bash it's use