Why is Seantrell Henderson not mentioned in the battle.....

This is an ignorant statement. Doctors do not prescribe medical marijuana, ever, in any state in the country, because it is not a prescription drug. Prescription drugs have to be approved by the FDA as such. What doctors do, is recommend medical marijuana, in the same way they might recommend Tylenol, or Motrin, or a dietary supplement.

Are you claiming that his cannabis consumption is not health related, or a part of his Crohn's disease treatment? Because there are several studies that have found that marijuana can be an effective treatment specifically for Crohn's disease. Whether his personal doctor gave him this recommendation, or not, seems irrelevant, since he has stated, unequivocally, that he was taking it for this reason.

Of course, he would have tested positive regardless of the delivery method. I can tell you that any dispensary in CA has a variety of products, from the plant, itself, to edibles, vapor, and oils.

Well, that's just not true. You have to go through a certification process with patients. You have to monitor their history of substance prescriptions before certification. Just a little different that picking up Tylenol at Walmart.

https://regs.health.ny.gov/content/section-10042-practitioner-issuance-certificatio

#educateyourself

When did Henderson say his doctor told him to smoke weed? I didn't see him say that either.

Can you link me to a double-blind RCT that compares medical marijuana to current therapy regimens for Crohn's/IBD and proves its efficacy? I'll wait.

Ok? The point is, he's been a resident of states that are not offering med marijuana. He takes his own meds. He deserves to take meds for his affliction. What exactly is your point dude?????

They aren't meds. Henderson was throwing away his life for pot well before he was ever diagnosed with Crohn's. His "defense" claiming it was all medicinal is laughable and shallow.

Edited by jmc12290

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One under used argument is that he wasn't THAT good to start with. Fantastic value in the 7th and a great guy to take a flyer on but even without all the baggage he had a ways to go before locking down any job. Now he just has that many more hurdles ahead and missed opportunities to have been developing.

If he steps up mid season, great! But he's not one you are looking for to do it. That would be finding money on the street.

This is an ignorant statement. Doctors do not prescribe medical marijuana, ever, in any state in the country, because it is not a prescription drug. Prescription drugs have to be approved by the FDA as such. What doctors do, is recommend medical marijuana, in the same way they might recommend Tylenol, or Motrin, or a dietary supplement.

Are you claiming that his cannabis consumption is not health related, or a part of his Crohn's disease treatment? Because there are several studies that have found that marijuana can be an effective treatment specifically for Crohn's disease. Whether his personal doctor gave him this recommendation, or not, seems irrelevant, since he has stated, unequivocally, that he was taking it for this reason.

Of course, he would have tested positive regardless of the delivery method. I can tell you that any dispensary in CA has a variety of products, from the plant, itself, to edibles, vapor, and oils.

Actually this is wrong - there are prescriptions n many cases and they have follow-up to perform.

Secondly there are delivery methods of CBD that do not test positive. The screening test is for THC - which is active in the pot you smoke and bake and often oils, but there are pills for CBD that is effective at battling Crohn's disease, but does not produce the high felling and does not cause positive screens.

If he is taking it for the treatment alone - there are things he can do and still play in the league without suspension. If he enjoys smoking pot because of how it makes him feel and it helps with his disease - then he deserves the suspension. The issue is he has tested positive multiple times prior to the disease being an issue and it has not changed.

No...the league should not deny a person from reasonable treatment. Ive often said...your boss can make the rules.this however, is absurd

This aint about kujo, is it?

...if weed is being more and more medicinally accepted, what rock is the NFL and Goober Goodell living under if a doctor prescribes it?...arrogance or ignorance, take your pick...............

Its not the league alone. The provision on weed is in the CBA...and the union also supports the CBA...as it was jointly written and adopted. So, don't kit on Goodell for this one........the league is honoring the CBA......and the players union would not have it any other way.

Edited by bigK14094

Well, that's just not true. You have to go through a certification process with patients. You have to monitor their history of substance prescriptions before certification. Just a little different that picking up Tylenol at Walmart.

https://regs.health.ny.gov/content/section-10042-practitioner-issuance-certificatio

#educateyourself

When did Henderson say his doctor told him to smoke weed? I didn't see him say that either.

Can you link me to a double-blind RCT that compares medical marijuana to current therapy regimens for Crohn's/IBD and proves its efficacy? I'll wait.

They aren't meds. Henderson was throwing away his life for pot well before he was ever diagnosed with Crohn's. His "defense" claiming it was all medicinal is laughable and shallow.

Actually this is wrong - there are prescriptions n many cases and they have follow-up to perform.

Secondly there are delivery methods of CBD that do not test positive. The screening test is for THC - which is active in the pot you smoke and bake and often oils, but there are pills for CBD that is effective at battling Crohn's disease, but does not produce the high felling and does not cause positive screens.

If he is taking it for the treatment alone - there are things he can do and still play in the league without suspension. If he enjoys smoking pot because of how it makes him feel and it helps with his disease - then he deserves the suspension. The issue is he has tested positive multiple times prior to the disease being an issue and it has not changed.

Sorry guys, but until the FDA recognizes marijuana as a medication, and sets guidelines for its use, it will not technically be considered a "prescription drug." Please see the link for reference: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Prescription+drugsApplicable quote: "The designation of a medication as a prescription drug is made by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration."

And, jmc12290,

You could have saved me the trouble and googled it yourself, and found numerous studies that have been done on the effects of cannabis on Crohn's disease. But, here's a few for those following this thread (and thanks! It's the trolls who keep a thread like this alive!)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648372

http://www.medicaldaily.com/medical-marijuana-achieves-complete-remission-crohns-disease-drug-improves-247783

http://www.medicalmarijuanainc.com/crohns-disease-medical-marijuana-research-overview/

Please note that the journals referenced in the articles, National Library of Medicine, Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, are peer reviewed. The third article also references a study done by the Mayo Clinic, which one would assume is also peer reviewed.

That's all true and I absolutely support an end to marijuana testing in the NFL as well as legalizing medical marijuana. I'm also good with legalizing recreational too. But Henderson's issues with pot pre-date his Crohn's diagnosis. He had violations in college and even tested positive at the Combine. His only chance to remain in the NFL is if they stop testing or grant him an exception.

So you're okay with stoned potheads getting behind the wheel and killing your loved ones?

http://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/05/fatal-road-crashes-involving-marijuana-double-state-legalizes-drug/

http://www.rmhidta.org/html/2016%20FINAL%20Legalization%20of%20Marijuana%20in%20Colorado%20The%20Impact.pdf

Edited by hondo in seattle

Sorry guys, but until the FDA recognizes marijuana as a medication, and sets guidelines for its use, it will not technically be considered a "prescription drug." Please see the link for reference: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Prescription+drugsApplicable quote: "The designation of a medication as a prescription drug is made by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration."

And, jmc12290,

You could have saved me the trouble and googled it yourself, and found numerous studies that have been done on the effects of cannabis on Crohn's disease. But, here's a few for those following this thread (and thanks! It's the trolls who keep a thread like this alive!)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648372

http://www.medicaldaily.com/medical-marijuana-achieves-complete-remission-crohns-disease-drug-improves-247783

http://www.medicalmarijuanainc.com/crohns-disease-medical-marijuana-research-overview/

Please note that the journals referenced in the articles, National Library of Medicine, Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, are peer reviewed. The third article also references a study done by the Mayo Clinic, which one would assume is also peer reviewed.

None of those are double blind RCT's. Which are the only studies that dictate treatment regimen.

Playing the semantic game after saying it's like your doc telling you to take Tylenol is by far the weakest and most intellectually dishonest argument I've ever seen on TBD. Congratulations.

There's a number of studies out there that claim HGH has positive effects on Crohn's, but it's not approved for that use. Physicians don't administer it for that reason. And it's banned from the NFL. Just like the ganja.

Hendy should just admit he likes to get stoned. He's misled a lot of people with his excuses.

Edited by jmc12290

#educateyourself

Throwing his life away for pot? The only thing laughable and shallow is that statement. Are you claiming that pot has no medicinal value??

#educateYOURself

Im still not even sure what your arguement is. I never said he claimed to have a prescription. To me, thats irrelevant. Completely. He has a disease in which pot helps to alleviate. Therefore, as I said, he has a right to use it...period. Same as you might someday if you got that disease, or glaucoma, or a number of other diseases. Just because you are some old school, anti drug guy(which is your perogitive) doesn't give you any right to bash a kid for taking medicine. Same as heroin junkies taking methadone. So, you should get off your personal crusade on this topic. It wasnt the point, nor the proper forum for that. I merely said that he has a disease and pot helps.so he should be allowed to use it.

Btw..in 2015 there were 17,500 deaths due to illegal/illicit drugs in USA

25,000 due to prescription drugs

30,700 due to alcohol

Zero due to pot

Of course these numbers are overdoses and not related to other factors, such as accidents or homicides, but maybe that can help you see that pot is not the hardcore schedule 1 drug that has been indoctrinated to us by Uncle Scam

Edited by BuffAlone

Throwing his life away for pot? The only thing laughable and shallow is that statement. Are you claiming that pot has no medicinal value??

#educateYOURself

Im still not even sure what your arguement is. I never said he claimed to have a prescription. To me, thats irrelevant. Completely. He has a disease in which pot helps to alleviate. Therefore, as I said, he has a right to use it...period. Same as you might someday if you got that disease, or glaucoma, or a number of other diseases. Just because you are some old school, anti drug guy(which is your perogitive) doesn't give you any right to bash a kid for taking medicine. Same as heroin junkies taking methadone. So, you should get off your personal crusade on this topic. It wasnt the point, nor the proper forum for that. I merely said that he has a disease and pot helps.so he should be allowed to use it.

Btw..in 2015 there were 17,500 deaths due to illegal/illicit drugs in USA

25,000 due to prescription drugs

30,700 due to alcohol

Zero due to pot

Of course these numbers are overdoses and not related to other factors, such as accidents or homicides, but maybe that can help you see that pot is not the hardcore schedule 1 drug that has been indoctrinated to us by Uncle Scam

Henderson got in trouble for pot long before he had his Crohn's diagnosis. You're being had.

Should he be allowed to take HGH too?

He absolutely has a right to smoke pot. I don't care. The NFL also has a right to punish him for banned substance use.

Edited by jmc12290

Henderson got in trouble for pot long before he had his Crohn's diagnosis. You're being had.

Should he be allowed to take HGH too?

He absolutely has a right to smoke pot. I don't care. The NFL also has a right to punish him for banned substance use.

Yes, im aware he got busted for smoking pot in the past. That was recreational, and against the rules. Im not being had lol. My only point is now he has a legitimate right to have medicine that helps his condition. I understand the NFL's stance, and that their rules ultimately need to be followed. I just don't agree with their policy concerning it. At this point, it's a helpful treatment, regardless of his prior recreational usage.

How many teams have been suspended?

There have been investigations. I'm not positive but I think medical groups have been removed and teams fined (maybe?). I do agree that teams should be more accountable for what they give the players, but am likewise amused about how many of the fans that bash the policy for that reason also call players soft for sitting out.

Since you wish to parse words, let me be more specific.

For 50 seasons, at the least, teams have knowingly put performance enhancing drugs into their players. How many of these teams have suffered any consequences?

All of these substances do irreparable harm to the players.

The league has also attempted to squash any information about concussions.

Yet, smoking pot is deemed as far worse as a problem by the league.

Do you have a problem with this overt dishonesty promoted by the league?

Those are all suspension-worthy offenses. We've seen many players punished over the years for almost all of those things. What an odd post.

I do appreciate you admitting the "medical" angle isn't really the issue. It's just kids who can't stop smoking joints recreationally.

Teams put drugs into their players that damage the players long-term. The league not only does not punish anyone. They ignore it.

But my post is odd to you?

Good question. If I remember correctly, wasn't her NFL rookie of the month in Sept of his first year and was being called one of the steals of the draft. By seaso nend, was doing OK, no longer great. But that often happens with rookies when the hit "the rookie wall" I'd imagine for O-lineman it's an even bigger wall as lineman don't sub out very much so can see where he'd be even more tired than say a rookie Nickle back who's only playing 25% of the snaps.

His second season he was out by early November with the illness. I don't know alot about Crohn's, but pretty certain it's not something that pops up overnight, so wouldn't be surprised to hear that it was already effecting him back in training camp and it took to November before it got so bad that he couldn't even play. So I chalk the 2nd season up to that.

Over the past year have seen many people including in this thread argue that pot is a good treatment for Crohn's and others counter with it doesn't matter he knows it's illegal. Considering the situation he was in with dealing with the illness, I'm pretty certain his biggest concern was getting healthy and doing whatever he could to help with that and had little thought or worries abut the NFL rules. So were his failed drug tests from smoking during his extended illness, Did he maybe find it too easy to keep smoking,maybe? I can forgive him for that considering the situation.

Last year, sounded like he still didn't have all of his weight and strength back at the beginning of the season anyway, plus had a 4 game suspension to begin with. A number here said the initial suspension was good in away as would give him time to get back to strength. Then along came the 2nd suspension, but would like to know the timing of the test? Was he smoking because he was still in pain?

Bottom line IMO was the guy was pretty darn good as a rookie, if the illness is behind him and the pot was truly do to the illness, I'd keep him around and could see him becoming good if he can stay clean.

He was definitely receiving early,praise his rookie year and I thought showed quite a bit of potential giving the fact he was a really athletic big man..

Just my opinion, but I think the NFL rules need to be modernized/changed with regard to the use of weed for medical purposes

In that regard, I think Henderson should have asked for a meeting with the commish prior to using

Laid out his case

Said, look I am going to start using weed, are you willing to exempt me?

Maybe nothing changes and he still gets suspended

But the action would have put pressure on NFL mgmt to have empathy for his unusual situation

I have friends with Crohn's, and they are very upfront about it, they all smoke weed, its hard not to have tons of empathy

Just saying it easier for the NFL, and fans, to judge Henderson harshly, when you no clue about his condition, his pain, etc

jc

None of those are double blind RCT's. Which are the only studies that dictate treatment regimen.

Playing the semantic game after saying it's like your doc telling you to take Tylenol is by far the weakest and most intellectually dishonest argument I've ever seen on TBD. Congratulations.

There's a number of studies out there that claim HGH has positive effects on Crohn's, but it's not approved for that use. Physicians don't administer it for that reason. And it's banned from the NFL. Just like the ganja.

Hendy should just admit he likes to get stoned. He's misled a lot of people with his excuses.

Obviously, you didn't even look at the links. All three were placebo controlled studies.

But, so what? You've demonstrated that no matter how wrong you are, you will not admit error, even when the evidence given is as established as the Mayo Clinic. Instead, you will double down with the same condescending, childish snark that has become your unrelenting modus operandi on this site.

You can continue your pointless argument with the Mayo Clinic, if you like. I've made my point.

Obviously, you didn't even look at the links. All three were placebo controlled studies.

But, so what? You've demonstrated that no matter how wrong you are, you will not admit error, even when the evidence given is as established as the Mayo Clinic. Instead, you will double down with the same condescending, childish snark that has become your unrelenting modus operandi on this site.

You can continue your pointless argument with the Mayo Clinic, if you like. I've made my point.

If you think a study of 21 patients is "established evidence," you don't know a thing about the scientific method.

Also, LOL at "didn't look at the links." Here's a nice little tidbit for ya.

CONCLUSIONS: Although the primary end point of the study (induction of remission) was not achieved

Oh man, there goes the "he need some pot" argument again. RIP in peace.

Can someone for the love of god tell me if Seantrel should be allowed to take HGH?

Edited by jmc12290

Just my opinion, but I think the NFL rules need to be modernized/changed with regard to the use of weed for medical purposes

In that regard, I think Henderson should have asked for a meeting with the commish prior to using

Laid out his case

But the action would have put pressure on NFL mgmt to have empathy for his unusual situation

I have friends with Crohn's, and they are very upfront about it, they all smoke weed, its hard not to have tons of empathy

Just saying it easier for the NFL, and fans, to judge Henderson harshly, when you no clue about his condition, his pain, etc

jc

No need to change the rule. Just stop testing for it.

I think they are just ready to move on from him.....to many issues and while he is quite the athlete for his size he is not a "football player'

I think Dawkins is gonna take that RT spot

This....

No doubt in my mind unless he has a terrible camp or gets arrested for something stupid. But, I really like Dawkins in that spot.

I mean... alcohol is legal and there's a ton more fatal accidents involving that.

... I think Henderson should have asked for a meeting with the commish prior to using

Laid out his case

This ^. He could have done a WAY better job handling this issue that would have benefitted not only him but many other players in a similar situation.

This ^. He could have done a WAY better job handling this issue that would have benefitted not only him but many other players in a similar situation.

He failed 7 drug tests at the University of Miami.

You rarely hear of drug suspensions in college but he managed to get suspended twice. :lol:

Stoners using his case as a platform for MJ-use reform = a poor choice.

He failed 7 drug tests at the University of Miami.

You rarely hear of drug suspensions in college but he managed to get suspended twice. :lol:

Stoners using his case as a platform for MJ-use reform = a poor choice.

Stoners making poor choices? This thread is like a dog chasing it's own tail.

I dont want to move on from Henderson because of the pot thing

i want to move on from him because he IS NOT THAT GOOD......its not like we are talking about a pro bowl RT here that we are fighting to keep in the field.

Dawkins might easily be a upgrade.

Crikey. When John wants you gone, you're toast :D

LOL

He is a very good athlete for his size.....but he isnt a very good football player

Would rather keep Mills as a backup

I feel for him, I really do. At this point, Seantrel Henderson the football player is almost immaterial. I just want him to be able to live out his days as close to pain-free as possible.

The team doesn't really need the cap space but, since Henderson got the PPE pay rise, he's an easy and financially-prudent cut.

If you think a study of 21 patients is "established evidence," you don't know a thing about the scientific method.

Also, LOL at "didn't look at the links." Here's a nice little tidbit for ya.

CONCLUSIONS: Although the primary end point of the study (induction of remission) was not achieved

Oh man, there goes the "he need some pot" argument again. RIP in peace.

Can someone for the love of god tell me if Seantrel should be allowed to take HGH?

Nice try.

I dont want to move on from Henderson because of the pot thing

i want to move on from him because he IS NOT THAT GOOD......its not like we are talking about a pro bowl RT here that we are fighting to keep in the field.

Dawkins might easily be a upgrade.

^ This 100%

That said, he shouldn't HAVE to quit smoking his meds! Its the safest, cheapest form of med available to him. I can envision him being the backup LT this year, when he returns. Dawkins the starter at RT, and Mills probably retained for insurance. Which means Groy as backup interior, and the rest of the non starters gone.only so many spots available...

I am sure all of his medication is paid for by NFL as long as he is playing. It is his interest financially to follow rules if he wants to be paid and for medication to be paid for.

Since he was smoking prior to NFL and he passed physical, college tests etc when did the issue start and when did he start "self medicating"?

I am sure all of his medication is paid for by NFL as long as he is playing. It is his interest financially to follow rules if he wants to be paid and for medication to be paid for.

Since he was smoking prior to NFL and he passed physical, college tests etc when did the issue start and when did he start "self medicating"?

He was diagnosed in 2015. Im guessing it didn't take him long to self medicate thereafter

He was diagnosed in 2015. Im guessing it didn't take him long to self medicate thereafter

I wouldn't be shocked if he was before diagnosis-- but if it was already a recreational habit it'd be pretty tough for you or i to figure out where that lines been

this thread, as every single one we have covered in regard to Hendy has turned into a Pot war.

THC and CBD are not the same.

Just hope the kid can live a semi normal life, whether it is in the NFL or otherwise. Crohn's and all the medical complications associated with it are no joke. Especially in infants
The only issue that is white and black is what the NFL allows and does not. and that is a fair argument but,
I almost sense anger at Seantrel here from some.
and the ones that are defending that medical CBD is not helping patients across this country seems a bit narrow minded to me.

Perhaps some tolerance would be better served here

You are likely correct. Because it helped.

He was suspended like 4 times in college. He wasn't passing tests with any regularity.

this thread, as every single one we have covered in regard to Hendy has turned into a Pot war.

THC and CBD are not the same.

Just hope the kid can live a semi normal life, whether it is in the NFL or otherwise. Crohn's and all the medical complications associated with it are no joke. Especially in infants

The only issue that is white and black is what the NFL allows and does not. and that is a fair argument but,

I almost sense anger at Seantrel here from some.

and the ones that are defending that medical CBD is not helping patients across this country seems a bit narrow minded to me.

Perhaps some tolerance would be better served here

You are likely correct. Because it helped.

Amen, 3rd.

I've watched my sister battle Crohn's for more than 25 years. I watched her get down to 80 lbs., unable to walk because her entire body hurt. I watched her undergo surgery after surgery, removing more and more of her intestines ... only to have the pain and other symptoms come right back.

And a couple years ago, I helped her decide that it was time to just let them take it all out and live with a colostomy bag for the rest of her life.

This disease - for which there is no cure - is debilitating.

I don't know that Henderson is in the the same amount of pain that I've seen my sister in. But neither does anyone else here, judging him. For smoking !@#$ing marijuana.

Give me a break.

And he was doing BEFORE issues.

Before diagnosis? Or before issues.

You. Don't. Know.

Edited by Gugny

So he was using recreationally before diagnosis, and suspended. All that changed after diagnosis. Now hw had a legit reason to medicate. At what point does one get the ok to take medication? Id say directly after diagnosis personally...

Amen, 3rd.

I've watched my sister battle Crohn's for more than 25 years. I watched her get down to 80 lbs., unable to walk because her entire body hurt. I watched her undergo surgery after surgery, removing more and more of her intestines ... only to have the pain and other symptoms come right back.

And a couple years ago, I helped her decide that it was time to just let them take it all out and live with a colostomy bag for the rest of her life.

This disease - for which there is no cure - is debilitating.

I don't know that Henderson is in the the same amount of pain that I've seen my sister in. But neither does anyone else here, judging him. For smoking !@#$ing marijuana.

Give me a break.

Before diagnosis? Or before issues.

You. Don't. Know.

Why didn't he use that excuse after failing his third test in college then? Or at the combine? It would've been so easy to say, "I tested positive because I take it for my stomach issues." Instead, Seantrel said....

"At the Senior Bowl, Henderson admitted that his positive tests were for marijuana use, hoping to get out in front of the situation."I'm showing my character. Showing them that I'm responsible, reliable, dependable," Henderson said. "I want to keep letting them know all the negative things are behind me."

Does that sound like a guy with a medical problem or a "I love smoking weed" problem?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/5/5683022/seantrel-henderson-marijuana-suspensions-nfl-draft

This was before he tested positive at the combine. After his 3rd suspension in college. Not a peep about Crohn's or any symptoms at all. Just maturity issues. Hmmmm.

Edited by jmc12290

we don't know how long he was suffering. and it is unfair to assume

Why didn't he use that excuse after suspension #3 in college then?

A man does not make excuses.

he just deals with life as it comes.

when has Seantrel Henderson ever made an excuse you can document?

assumptions lead to opinions which lead to bias

we don't know how long he was suffering. and it is unfair to assume

A man does not make excuses.

he just deals with life as it comes.

when has Seantrel Henderson ever made an excuse you can document?

assumptions lead to opinions which lead to bias

3rd, Seantrel basically admitted his use of marijuana in college was a maturity thing and a bad thing. See my post above.

But you're right, his agent blamed his Crohn's. Not Hendy.

Edited by jmc12290