Will Goodwin 'Take Off' in San Francisco?

I went to a Jets game in Goodwin's rookie season. Awful weather and it was EJ & his starting WRs were Goodwin and Graham. And they destroyed the Jets and MG looked like a complete receiver.

Also, the fact EJ & those WRs destroyed Rex should have been a warning sign.

I was at that game too. Awesome win!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's healthy I'm sure he'll do okay. Shanahan turned Gabriel into a legit threat in ATL.

I went to a Jets game in Goodwin's rookie season. Awful weather and it was EJ & his starting WRs were Goodwin and Graham. And they destroyed the Jets and MG looked like a complete receiver.

Didn't our D force like 8 turnovers in those 2 games? That Jets team couldn't do anything right.

EDIT: I was thinking 2014 with the Orton games. Although, the 2013 game did involve Geno throwing 3 INTs and losing a Fumble :lol:

EJ had a solid day though 20/28 for 245 and 2 TDs, no turnovers.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

And he got injured at the end of the game too, as I recall.

I don't see the arm on the roster to capitalize on Goodwns strength.

This I agree with. For him to do his best work he needs to take top of the defense forcing team to back off defense.

Hell have a takeoff season alright. Hell take off games 1-4 with a pulled hamstring. Hell take off games 7-11 with a cracked rib. Hell take off games 13-16 with a high ankle sprain. It will all add up to 12 catches for 150 yards with one 65 yard td.

Just like last year, right?

There is not a WR in this league that fights the ball more than Goodwin. His route tree is so limited because his hand-eye coordination is so bad. He needs so much time to settle before the ball can be thrown to him.

His route tree is a "go" route. Period! He'll suffer from multiple boo boos and be cut by the end of the season.

I don't think Goodwin is just a speedster. He has other skills. But overall, from what I saw during his time here, his speed was at the Olympic level while his route running, hands, adjustment on the ball, ability to fend off bump-and-run, etc. were mostly at the college level.

But I like the guy and hope he avoids injury and does well with the 49ers.

Goodwin's issue is his frame - his training regimen is speed-focused, not football-focused. He seems to limp off in pain after every tiny bit of contact. I'm sure he'll tantalize the coaches in SF like he did here, but at the end of the day he won't offer full availability.

He's not just a deep threat... but he also isn't shifty in the slightest, and is undersized. He doesn't accelerate well out of his breaks so he's not useful for the middle of the field, or for screens. His hands are "OK". He's super fast once he gets going, but he also doesn't have particularly good ball skills once the ball is in the air. Passes have to be like, perfect deep passes.