Panthers Fire GM Dave Gettleman

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It struck me as odd that Mixon refers to the organization as "we" -- I mean, yes, I know he's an employee, but he's not making front office decisions. You'd think he would say "we" when he's talking about the radio crew.

I get the point you're making, but technically he's right since Jerry Richardson signs his check too.

It's not. South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama is it.

Being from NC is fine. I was just responding to someone that said "he spent his whole life in the South." The South doesn't consider NC a part of the South.

I'm simply giving a quick geography lesson and how the South views things. Having spent a decade now in the South I have a pretty good take. I spent the first 26 years in the North so I know how they view things.

NC is classified as the south and parts of it are considered part of the deep south. Saying some in the south do not view NC as part of the south is local current opinion and not historically accurate.(It would be like Germans thinking old East Germany is not part of Germany) and just because an area like Buffalo has a Midwest culture does not make it part of the Midwest.

South Geography and civil war actions/history say otherwise. States north of NC are considered part of the south. CSA=NC=south.

Edited by cba fan

It is pretty amazing how all of these formal Panthers are throwing Molotov Cocktails at Gettleman on the way out. They are taking a lot of joy in his dismissal. This reminds me a little bit of the George Karl situation in Sacramento when the players were tweeting 🐍 in the grass.

I get the point you're making, but technically he's right since Jerry Richardson signs his check too.

It's a weird interview...the play-by-play guy saying "we're not the type of team to make personnel changes willy nilly" when he has also admitted the news "shocked" him so he's clearly not a part of that process.

I think pretty typically the radio guys address front office decisions as coming from "the team."

Not a big deal, obviously, but it did really strike me as odd.

I mean, have you ever heard Chris Brown or John Murphy use "we" when talking about the Bills? A little too folksy for my taste.

Edited by eball

It's a weird interview...the play-by-play guy saying "we're not the type of team to make personnel changes willy nilly" when he has also admitted the news "shocked" him so he's clearly not a part of that process.

I think pretty typically the radio guys address front office decisions as coming from "the team."

Not a big deal, obviously, but it did really strike me as odd.

I mean, have you ever heard Chris Brown or John Murphy use "we" when talking about the Bills? A little too folksy for my taste.

That is a "southern" trait.

NC is classified as the south and parts of it are considered part of the deep south. Saying some in the south do not view NC as part of the south is local current opinion and not historically accurate.(It would be like Germans thinking old East Germany is not part of Germany) South Geography and civil war actions/history say otherwise. States north of NC are considered part of the south. CSA=NC=south.

At one point Uzbekistan was a part of the Soviet Union as well. As time has changed values and culture evolves. Not everywhere evolves at the same rate. I' telling you how it's viewed in "the Deep South" where evolution has happened at a slower pace. I've been here a decade, in a city which is much more northern than the outskirts and I've never met a person in those states that associates NC (or Virginia for that matter) with them. A lot include Florida, I don't because it's a whole different world. There are parts of Florida that are like the South but other parts that are totally independent (like Miami).

I don't care how the census bureau defines the South. I'm telling you how the South defines the South. This is knowledge that you can't learn in a textbook. Much like Buffalo is more similar to the Midwest than NY the South is those 7 states regardless of how others define it. Anything to the contrary is an alternative fact. You'll hear things like "Deep South" which is ultimately means that they cling strongest to their southern values and roots. No one in those states uses Deep South to differentiate from places like NC. That's just consider NC with Maryland, DC and Virginia. Virginia is the 6th most educated state for crying out loud. That's not the South. If you include Kentucky with those other 7 states they rank 23 (Georgia), 35, 41, 44, 46, 47, 48 & 49 in terms of education. Kentucky is the love child of the Midwest and the south.

I'm kind of half joking with this but not at the same time. North Carolina, Virginia, etc... much more closely identify with the North than the South at this point. Within those 7 states Atlanta, New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville would probably share similarities with places like Charlotte. If you were to drive an hour in any direction though from any of those cities you'd see a vastly different world.

Ha ha, that's why it's a funny conversation. I bet Virginia (or at least the parts not surrounding D.C.) feel the same. The people in SEC territory think differently. It's kind of funny.

IMO VA and NC are the South, and the 7 states you referred to are the Deep South (which is it's own thing, for certain).

north carolina is definitely considered the south. not even in the discussion of being a northern state.

That's the exact opposite perspective that you'd get in SEC country. That's my point. I was simply trying to contribute something that was new to a lot of people. My dad and brother in Buffalo would absolutely consider NC the South. My future brother-in-law and father-in-law in New Orleans would absolutely consider it a part of the North. Most people on here probably never realized that and that's why I shared.

I thought that it was interesting. I'm not trying I turn this into a debate. I'm telling you how people in those states view thing. Nick Saban is God or the devil (nothing in between). You cook with butter and fry everything. No one can compete with the SEC and you'd rather your SEC rival win than someone outside the conference. You own a gun (or lots of them). It's called "the War of Northern Aggression." College is optional still, college football is not. If you're a guy you drive a truck with a ducks unlimited sticker, you wear LOTS of camo, you wear LOTS of fishing shirts. You dress up for football games, you wear crokies and pastels. You have a hair cut like John Parker Wilson when you are 24. You dip and you don't take life too seriously. You have a simpler, more care-free existence.

I don't need to derail this any further. Just providing a different perspective as I've lived in 2 very different environments. Things that are held as common truths in one are exact opposites in another. Thought it was interesting, now back to Gettleman's fat face...

I don't care how the census bureau defines the South. I'm telling you how the South defines the South. This is knowledge that you can't learn in a textbook. Much like Buffalo is more similar to the Midwest than NY the South is those 7 states regardless of how others define it. Anything to the contrary is an alternative fact. You'll hear things like "Deep South" which is ultimately means that they cling strongest to their southern values and roots. No one in those states uses Deep South to differentiate from places like NC. That's just consider NC with Maryland, DC and Virginia. Virginia is the 6th most educated state for crying out loud. That's not the South. If you include Kentucky with those other 7 states they rank 23 (Georgia), 35, 41, 44, 46, 47, 48 & 49 in terms of education. Kentucky is the love child of the Midwest and the south.

I'm kind of half joking with this but not at the same time. North Carolina, Virginia, etc... much more closely identify with the North than the South at this point. Within those 7 states Atlanta, New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville would probably share similarities with places like Charlotte. If you were to drive an hour in any direction though from any of those cities you'd see a vastly different world.

Ha ha, that's why it's a funny conversation. I bet Virginia (or at least the parts not surrounding D.C.) feel the same. The people in SEC territory think differently. It's kind of funny.

I've lived in the south for over 30 years. I have family in NC. you may not care and are hell bent here, even denying the census. I hate to bust your balls but NC is considered a southern state.

I proved my point pretty clearly and have always thought of NC, as a southern state.

at the end of the day though, it's nothing to get in any real debate over.

you believe what you want man.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Southern states = Those that were in the Confederacy. North Carolina is definitely southern.

Borderline states are those with slavery but still in the Union. Missouri, Maryland, Kentucky.

It was 150 years ago but still relevant today.

Not in any way making this racial, just the history of the country.

Edited by Sakman

I've lived in the south for over 30 years. I have family in NC. you may not care and are hell bent here, even denying the census. I hate to bust your balls but NC is considered a southern state.

I proved my point pretty clearly and have always thought of NC, as a southern state.

at the end of the day though, it's nothing to get in any real debate over.

you believe what you want man.

I believed differently 10 years ago and maybe even 5 years ago. Hyperbole aside, I don't know people in Louisiana or Mississippi that consider NC the South. That was the point that I was making. It doesn't matter what the census bureau says. They only consider "the Deep South" the South. I can't speak for what the people in Virginia or NC think.

It's not. South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama is it.

Being from NC is fine. I was just responding to someone that said "he spent his whole life in the South." The South doesn't consider NC a part of the South.

I'm simply giving a quick geography lesson and how the South views things. Having spent a decade now in the South I have a pretty good take. I spent the first 26 years in the North so I know how they view things.

I spent 20 years in Charlotte.Trust me...its the south. You can't find a more lethargic population. Dialect, movement, train of thought. ...its definately a southern state. And any local, born and raised, would put on the grey and fight you to the bitter end to prove their pride of their southern heritage!

P.s...Tennessee is due west of NC, not south

Edited by BuffAlone

It is pretty amazing how all of these formal Panthers are throwing Molotov Cocktails at Gettleman on the way out. They are taking a lot of joy in his dismissal. This reminds me a little bit of the George Karl situation in Sacramento when the players were tweeting in the grass.

Anybody have a picture in your mind of players in tuxes throwing Molotov Cocktails after reading that?

Panthers fans are about as divided on Cam as we are on Tyrod. You could probably find some fans on their forum that have the "unpopular opinion" that Tyrod would be better than Cam moving forward. We aren't the only fan base that debates our QB past the point of sanity!

Those fans are idiots. They are bashing a guy who has won a national championship, a headman, set rookie passing records, won a MVP with Ted Ginn as his #1 wr, & went to a SB. It's refreshing to know there are other dumb fans.

I spent 20 years in Charlotte.Trust me...its the south. You can't find a more lethargic population. Dialect, movement, train of thought. ...its definately a southern state. And any local, born and raised, would put on the grey and fight you to the bitter end to prove their pride of their southern heritage!

P.s...Tennessee is due west of NC, not south

Half of the people in Charlotte are from Ohio and Western NY!