Panthers Fire GM Dave Gettleman

Some of the comments coming out from players (Jon Beason, Steve Smith et.al.) is alarming and makes me wonder about the character of our new GM Beane. Is he a disciple of Gettleman? Did he praise his practices? Or is he his own man that also felt the same negative way about his old boss?

The only thing I can remember about Beane's relationship with Gettleman was that Beane of course wanted the job when Gettleman was hired, but since he didn't get it and was retained, he used it as a growing experience and soaked up everything he could from Gettleman, especially in the scouting department since that was Beane's weakness and Gettlemans's strength.

My guess is that Beane has his own ideas about how to run an organization, which will include at least some of Gettleman's characteristics. We can all only hope it's the right balance.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@willbrinson

Jerry Richardson appears to be choosing family > football by firing Gettleman. Didn't work out very well last time.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panthers-appear-to-be-choosing-family-over-football-again-for-better-or-worse/

Hard to say from the outside looking in, but this seems like a bad move on the surface. When you bring in a guy to fix a mess, he's not going to be the most popular person in the world, especially to those he has to cut in order help the cap. Seems to me he's done a solid job there. I bet he gets picked up pretty quick elsewhere.

Beane pre-dated Gettleman. He is more a Marty Hurney disciple if anything.

Beane is more of the "manager" administrator type. And that's why he complimented Gettleman. His strength is NOT at finding talent nor managing cap. That's the job the other guys, i.e. Hurney, and Gettleman did.

Honestly, it sounds like we hired an office manager at GM position. That's why he's beane using Pegula money to hire as much talent finders as possible.

Edited by CanadianFan

I live in New Orleans, Louisiana. We just made national news as people fought to keep four Confederate monuments from being removed. It wasn't a few people either. I don't want to make this a political or racial thing so we will leave it there.

But the essence of what makes the south The South is race; it can't be avoided. While a very few slave states remained in the Union, every single one in The Confederacy was violently determined to preserve the right for white people to own black people in perpetuity. Then, after defeat, instituted a reign of terrorism over the "freed" black people that turned them into second class citizens and placed them essentially in serfdom. The underlying attitudes remain virtually unchanged today, and are the driving force behind the peculiar politics of Southern whites to this moment.

New Orleans is an outlier, even in Louisiana. It was hugely shaped by Spanish/French attitudes, historically focused on the Carribean for business, operated under the Napoleonic Code and, most significantly, it was an enclave of Catholicism in a world of bizarre and hateful Fundamentalist Protestants largely of Celtic and English stock. The ancien sang of New Orleans never accepted the primacy of "English America" and still doesn't. To spend any time in Cajun Country is to have your eyes opened about what constitutes "the American Way of Life." But I suspect you already know this.

holy crap, I guess we ain't talking about Gettleman anymore. lol.

so there's like different cultures in English cities eh? In what sense? Pubs are different? different cuts of chips?

That's what I said on the first page. This was planned. Much like the Whaley move. With Whaley they waited till drafted was done. This time they waited until FA moves have been settled. This decision was made much earlier. Not just a spur of the moment as some are thinking due to vet contract talks.

That's awfully strange because every single source says otherwise, but hey don't let facts get in the way of the story you make up in your head.

@NFL

"Being a great scout doesn't mean somebody will be a great general manager." http://on.nfl.com/x8fb8N

(via @jeffrichadiha)DFBgGY2W0AA_Ug4.jpg

10:15 AM - 18 Jul 2017

As an outsider looking in, sometimes I wonder about the discussions and pipelines to positions of Nfl leadership.

Head coach is another. It seems the number one priority is being a strong play caller on a single side of the ball. it seems there might be some opportunities for unconventional paths (I hate to say it but similar to a marrone, for instance. Strong manager that can be hands off but bring in good coordinators and run game day... obviously, marrone was better at some of those things than others. Obviously.)

Didn't see this one coming!

@TomPelissero

#Panthers owner Jerry Richardson and Marty Hurney meeting today, league source said. If all goes well, he's expected to be named interim GM.

@AlbertBreer

Albert Breer Retweeted Tom Pelissero

Internally, Panthers have discussed temp model with coach Ron Rivera, cap guru Rob Rogers and a scouting chief like Hurney running football.

Hard to say from the outside looking in, but this seems like a bad move on the surface. When you bring in a guy to fix a mess, he's not going to be the most popular person in the world, especially to those he has to cut in order help the cap. Seems to me he's done a solid job there. I bet he gets picked up pretty quick elsewhere.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Jim Miller on SiriusNFL went off on the Panthers over the firing. He disclosed that he and Gettleman were close personally, but called the firing a terrible thing. I thought it was unprofessional of him -considering he's in a neutral position as a League commentator on their network. He'll most likely carry a grudge against the Panthers all season.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Jim Miller on SiriusNFL went off on the Panthers over the firing. He disclosed that he and Gettleman were close personally, but called the firing a terrible thing. I thought it was unprofessional of him -considering he's in a neutral position as a League commentator on their network. He'll most likely carry a grudge against the Panthers all season.

Similar to when Chris Mortensen was biased against the Bills after Donahoe was fired.

You already did. Here's a secret the civil war wasn't about slavery check your real history. But after this I won't bother you with anymore facts nor will I continue this conversation but for the record you guys turned it into a race discussion. Before you go accusing me of being a hater and a homophobic racist my boyfriend is Black and I am a white male.

Are you a top or a bottom?

Maybe it's the people you are hanging with. The people I know from Buffalo are a diverse, awesome group of attractive people.

Fact, ugly loser tend to be the biggest racists.

Maybe it's the people you are hanging with. The people I know from Buffalo are a diverse, awesome group of attractive people.

Fact, ugly loser tend to be the biggest racists.

Wow, what a hateful ignorant statement. Thanks for proving my point. But I will agree there are hateful ignorant people everywhere and of all colors and religions.

Edited by manbeast

I can't listen to mushmouth any more...he sounds like he's about to choke on his tongue with each sentence.

lol versatile but this board is probably not the place to head in that direction.

I don't know about versatility but if Gettleman had demonstrated some level of restraint while dealing with players he may still have a job, instead it seems he went balls deep with every decision and hurt some feelings along the way.

I don't know about versatility but if Gettleman had demonstrated some level of restraint while dealing with players he may still have a job, instead it seems he went balls deep with every decision and hurt some feelings along the way.

LMAO If he was trying to demonstrate the versatility with them that i was talking about I could understand them being so upset if they weren't into that sort of relationship.