Cousins reportedly won't be re-signing in Washington

Actually, there's a surprisingly amount of ambivalence in Washington about Cousins - not only in management over a gargantuan price tag, but with the fan base as well. Sure he has numbers, but a lot of fans still think he lacks that magical "it" quarterbacks are supposed to have. Some people have been disappointed with him long stretches of a season, such as the beginning of last year. Some say the talent around him inflated his production. Of course much of this has to do with the first few years of his career when Cousins was atrociously bad - getting benched at one point in favor of Colt McCoy. He's played very well the past two seasons, but Washington still held off - never completely convinced what they have, Of course, logically speaking Washington now must get it done; the odds of replacing Cousins with equal talent are extremely small. But the arm's length attitude of management might have soured the relationship beyond repair.

Also, the relationship between Cousins and the Skins were shaky leading up to last year. After McCloughan was fired there were reports that Cousins declared that he will never sign with Washington. Cousins hates Bruce Allen.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-kirk-cousins-wont-sign-a-long-term-deal-as-long-as-bruce-allen-is-with-redskins/

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on this is for whatever reason he doesn't want to play for the Jets and sees them(and maybe Jax) in the best position to tank and get the #1 or #2 overall pick. so he's saying I'm staying in school, hoping they'll give up the tank idea.

But I agree it's all a smokescreen, if he's top 5 or so, he'll declare for the draft.

Don't buy this at all. If they perform and are considered top 5 picks, they are coming out. Too many times, lately, QBs have stayed another year and seen their stock fall. If I'm a QB and I know regardless of where I'm selected there is less than a 50/50 chance I become a "franchise" QB, I leave school to maximize my first contract. Never know what I'm getting out of the second contract at that position.

@rapsheet

Barring the unforeseen, there's a strong indication #Redskins QB Kirk Cousins will play his tag out, sources say. Both sides are OK with it.

I'm thinking this is good for the Bills when it comes to QBs I the draft because imo he will be headed to SF. That would take them out of the top QBs picture. It puts Washington into the top QB picture, but their pick will likely be lower than SF's.

i would rather just try and sign cousins

Could you imagine if we signed cousins? and sammy if he's healthy and puts up a monster year? Then had two firsts to get some talent! we'd still be predicted to win 6 games lol

We wouldn't have the cap space.

My take on this is for whatever reason he doesn't want to play for the Jets and sees them(and maybe Jax) in the best position to tank and get the #1 or #2 overall pick. so he's saying I'm staying in school, hoping they'll give up the tank idea.

But I agree it's all a smokescreen, if he's top 5 or so, he'll declare for the draft.

If that were the case, I'd just pull and Eli and declare that I was unwilling to sign with the Jets if they drafted me.

Kyle Shanahan just set his countdown clock for Kirk to join him in SFO.

Cousins to SF will be the least surprising FA signing next offseason. I'll laugh my ass off if Washington manages to free up enough cap room to tag him again though.

Flacco'em

I'm sure Washington would be happy to way overpay Cousins if he carried them to a SB win like Flacco did with Baltimore.

...the infatuation with Cousins is laughable....must be his video......$25+ mil a year for what?.........gift wrap him for 'Frisco and let's draft smart in 2018......

You don't like 5000 yards passing, 25 TDs and over 8 YPA? Ok...

Tyrod has a solid year and we trade him for a second. We sign cousins as a fa. Use two firsts and extra second for a lot of talent Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 mill guaranteed is what he Man wants( his agent wants)

Tyrod has a solid year and we trade him for a second. We sign cousins as a fa. Use two firsts and extra second for a lot of talentSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you trade Tyrod for a second if he has a solid year?

Cousins to SF will be the least surprising FA signing next offseason. I'll laugh my ass off if Washington manages to free up enough cap room to tag him again though.

I'm sure Washington would be happy to way overpay Cousins if he carried them to a SB win like Flacco did with Baltimore.

I wonder if Baltimore would do that deal again. Newsome is an amazing GM, I am in no position to second guess him. I look at what Baltimore has been since that game.

I wonder if Baltimore would do that deal again. Newsome is an amazing GM, I am in no position to second guess him. I look at what Baltimore has been since that game.

It wasn't just about the deal, it was about how the situation played out. Ozzie told Flacco that if he wanted that blockbuster deal, then he had one season to earn it. Flacco responded by absolutely carrying the Ravens through the playoffs and to a SB win. So he got his huge payoff for it. I'm sure Ozzie would take the SB win even with the subsequent issues. Let's face it, there's no way they move on from Flacco after that season he had. But I'm sure Ozzie loves that he pushed Flacco at the right time.

Anyone know if the franchise tag prohibits a trade? If they know he is gone after this year, why not trade him this year? Diminished value knowing he may be a one year rental, but still they probably could get some value.

Edited by Dragonborn10