Cousins reportedly won't be re-signing in Washington

@adamschefter

Kirk Cousins is not expected to sign a long-term deal by Mondays deadline, but is open to doing deal with team after season, per source.

@jasoncoleBR

if Kirk Cousins plays 2017 at $23M (after $19M in 2016) has a decent season, prob gets $65M guar next March. That's $100M guar over 3 yrs

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who here would flip our (not KC's) 1st rounder next year for Cousins? I think Cousins is in the driver seat in regards to facilitating a trade if he really has no intention of re-signing with Washington. We're likely going to package our picks to move up and draft a big unknown. Cousins, while not elite, is a known commodity.

Why give up anything for a guy will be a FA? To avoid the inevitable bidding war.

Edited by Saint Doug

Who here would flip our (not KC's) 1st rounder next year for Cousins? I think Cousins is in the driver seat in regards to facilitating a trade if he really has no intention of re-signing with Washington. We're likely going to package our picks to move up and draft a big unknown. Cousins, while not elite, is a known commodity.

Why give up anything for a guy will be a FA? To avoid the inevitable bidding war.

Are you kidding? I'd deliver it to Snyder on a gold platter.

After Monday's deadline a long term deal cannot be negotiated with Cousins until after the season. There is no way to work one out before then - and we'd need Washingtons blessing to even start talks. Since that's not happening trading for him now would get us him for the 2017 season and give us the opportunity to tag him again at $27.6M for 2018. The highest average contract value in the NFL right now is Carr at $25M so odds are extremely high that the bidding war would go on as scheduled. Edited by BarleyNY

After Monday's deadline a long term deal cannot be negotiated with Cousins until after the season. There is no way to work one out before then - and we'd need Washingtons blessing to even start talks. Since that's not happening trading for him now would get us him for the 2017 season and give us the opportunity to tag him again at $27.6M for 2018. The highest average contract value in the NFL right now is Carr at $25M so odds are extremely high that the bidding war would go on as scheduled.

I didn't know we would be held to the same deadline as Washington if we traded for him. I'd only want to do it if we knew he would be signing a long-term contract with us. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth it considering we would only have a couple months of an exclusive signing period. Maybe I'd do that for a 4th rounder.

Real tough call. I was never a big fan of his. Something about him seems a little off. Kinda of a douchey vibe. But the dude has put up some monster numbers.

He's easily a top 15 qb but the question is will he get better than that. I really have no idea. Tough call.

Real tough call. I was never a big fan of his. Something about him seems a little off. Kinda of a douchey vibe. But the dude has put up some monster numbers.

He's easily a top 15 qb but the question is will he get better than that. I really have no idea. Tough call.

Not a tough call at all. Look at what % of the Bills first round picks turn into top 15 players at any position. And then calculate how much more important QB is than any other position. A sure-fire, step right in top-15 QB? The odds of any one (or even two) picks ending up being worth more than that is essentially zero.

It isn't very difficult to find the common denominator over the past 17 years -- no friggin QB. As usual, we're worried about the deck chair shuffling on the Titanic instead of doing whatever is required to find a QB.

You're asking who would do it right now?

Jeez, that's a tough question. I'd be right on the edge there. In any case I would give it really really strong consideration.

Absent a contract before Monday at 4:00 p.m. ET, Cousins will be committed to the team for one more year at $23.94 million.

Then, come February, an interesting situation will become even more compelling, with Washington faced with the options of signing him to a long-term deal, paying him $34.47 million under the franchise tag for 2018 (144% increase) , paying him $28.7 million under the transition tag for 2018, or letting him hit the open market.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/16/nothing-going-on-between-cousins-washington-on-eve-of-deadline/

@tompelissero

#Redskins made their best offer in May. Up from ~$20M/yr in previous offer, but less than $23.9M tag, really only added 1 guaranteed year.

I think he would consider that a insult and not re-sign longer then the tag there.

per ESPN

Cousins fully intends to play this season under his franchise tag, worth $23.9 million in 2017.

Cousins prefers to wait to do a deal at this time, just as the Redskins preferred to wait to do a deal at this time last year.

Washington still can use its franchise tag on him again next offseason for a third straight year, but it would cost the Redskins $34,478,784 to franchise him or they could transition him for $28,732,320 million, but another team would have the ability to sign him to an offer sheet that Washington would then have seven days to match.

I didn't know we would be held to the same deadline as Washington if we traded for him. I'd only want to do it if we knew he would be signing a long-term contract with us. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth it considering we would only have a couple months of an exclusive signing period. Maybe I'd do that for a 4th rounder.

Yup. That's a killer. Washington let this play out to a point where they really can't trade him.

Great stats don't necessarily equate to being a great QB. I'd have to pass on Cousins if he became available; simply not worth the coin he's gonna get.

funny, people said the same thing about Drew Brees when he was leaving San Diego...career high at the time of 27 TD and 3,500 yds, 30-28 in 4 seasons.

all he's done since then is throw 54,000 yds, 385 TD in 11 seasons...which is an average of 4,885 yds 35 TD per year. While winning a Superbowl.

in 11 years in NO, he has:

led the NFL in yards 7 times

led the NFL in TD 4 times

led the NFL in completions 5 times

Edited by Runninrams

Its been a long time since a QB this good could hit the open market. Brees comes to mind but there were some concerns about his injury. Think about what the Bills would have become if they signed Brees.

Another thing to consider is Buffalo and every other team in the NFL will have another season to evaluate their QB to Cousins. If Washington is stupid enough to let him walk I think you have to take a long hard look at him.