Shaq Attack - Sharks Never Sleep

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looked pretty bad last season.

He needs a big jump.

He was pick 19 of the first round. Lawson then had shoulder surgery and came back at week 8, I believe. Lawson gave effort and I do look for a big jump in production. The jump will probably be a product to some degree of having a complete off season to get healthy and a complete preseason to work. look up Vic Beasley's year one to year two stats, it will astonish how good a player can get.

jmc have you ever had an athletic injury surgery and played in the same year?

Im not dogging you.....I want to make sure your understanding what your saying

Wasn't the whole point of Shaq having surgery early so he could come back and contribute "healthy" in 2016?

Wasn't the whole point of Shaq having surgery early so he could come back and contribute "healthy" in 2016?

It was. He did. Not at his natural position mind you, but he did.7 sacks a year, dominate vs the run, and heart & hustle. Thats what I expect realistically from him every year moving forward.To think he had a bum shoulder all these years, and still produced at a high level, should be encouraging to us fans.Natural scheme fit, an ex-marine coach, and the luxery of dependable help/support, the kid looks the part. I expect him to mature fast.

Just what I always wanted out of the overall #19 pick of the draft. Say what you want, but either Rex and Whaley,Whaley and Rex, or both...got that draft right.I expect Washington to have more sacks than Shaq btw..

Edited by BuffAlone

It was. He did. Not at his natural position mind you, but he did.7 sacks a year, dominate vs the run, and heart & hustle. Thats what I expect realistically from him every year moving forward.To think he had a bum shoulder all these years, and still produced at a high level, should be encouraging to us fans.Natural scheme fit, an ex-marine coach, and the luxery of dependable help/support, the kid looks the part. I expect him to mature fast.

Just what I always wanted out of the overall #19 pick of the draft. Say what you want, but either Rex and Whaley,Whaley and Rex, or both...got that draft right.I expect Washington to have more sacks than Shaq btw..

He had one sack last year and did not look good.

Tit for Tat. I thought he looked like a rookie coming off an injury, making a switch of position and looked fine.

A move back to a natural fit, and a clean bill of health (since who knows when, not even himself. ..) and an energetic staff, I can see him fit in perfectly.and be utilized properly.

Sacks are not the be all end all of the position

For a player coming off a surgery he was getting pressure....was in on plays......

Pressures mean far more then sacks

You do realize that functional strength was not going to be there?

There is different type of training that goes on for an athlete in rehab and in preparing for a season......its a lot different.....there is no way Shaq was at 100 percent effectiveness when he was allowed to play....and even when he did he was not getting the crap kicked out of him he did look like he belonged.

Sacks are not the be all end all of the position

For a player coming off a surgery he was getting pressure....was in on plays......

Pressures mean far more then sacks

You do realize that functional strength was not going to be there?

There is different type of training that goes on for an athlete in rehab and in preparing for a season......its a lot different.....there is no way Shaq was at 100 percent effectiveness when he was allowed to play....and even when he did he was not getting the crap kicked out of him he did look like he belonged.

He looked like he belonged... on the bench.

Shaq sucked last year.

Yes he was coming off an injury and a rookie, but call a spade a spade. He didn't look good.

I realize that we have high expectations for a 1st round rookie....frankly I get your point and would normally agree.

I just think there is some extenuating circumstances in this case.

- Playing in the same year where he had a pretty substantial surgery

- Rookie

- On a D where a lot of the veterans were not playing very well either (the RR effect?)

Its just my opinion....but I am expecting a big jump in production from this player this year.

Shaq sucked last year.

Yes he was coming off an injury and a rookie, but call a spade a spade. He didn't look good.

Correct. Too many people here had high expectations for him when he got back to practice after game 8 and then on the field in game 10. I argued about it on a number of occasions. Lawson literally had zero NFL practices under his belt when he started practicing halfway through the season. And there's no way he could have been in proper shape. It's good he got some game experience to get his feet wet. That was important. We should have a very good idea of what we have in him by the end of this season/start of 2018. We just have to wait and see.

• 3 weeks later...

@SalSports

Shaq Lawson just said "it was kind of odd... I knew I wasn't a fit for this defense (last year), but they thought I was."

I followed up with a Shaq, asked him if it was simply Rex and the relationship why they drafted him then. Great response (next tweet)...

Lawson: "No. I feel I was the best available on the board and felt someone had to take me."

@Spencito_

Earlier in the interview Shaq talked about how he had a "tough time learning the 3-4." Calls this year's scheme "much easier" #Bills

https://twitter.com/...309924885700608

@SalSports

Shaq Lawson just said "it was kind of odd... I knew I wasn't a fit for this defense (last year), but they thought I was."

I followed up with a Shaq, asked him if it was simply Rex and the relationship why they drafted him then. Great response (next tweet)...

Lawson: "No. I feel I was the best available on the board and felt someone had to take me."

@Spencito_

Earlier in the interview Shaq talked about how he had a "tough time learning the 3-4." Calls this year's scheme "much easier" #Bills

https://twitter.com/...309924885700608

Lol okay. Easy to blame the guy recently fired.

What circumstances?

Being injured?

Yes a rookie who dealt with an injury to start his career, but he still sucked when he came back up until week 17.

It's the typical over-hype-rookie-backpedal.

When he had surgery.........the homers said he'd be back and be a huge boost to the pass rush..........then when he plays 10 games and is awful........he gets the mulligan as if his rookie season didn't happen.

Show me the sacks Shaq!

(And I am not talking about practice sacks versus Chawklit Blunder).

Yep.

He was stinking it up with hand-in-dirt at the end of the year.

interested to see how he looks. i think he will be a good clean up player opposite Hughes the speed rusher. we have arguably the best DL in the league if we can get all 4 of these guys on the field the majority of the downs

Shaq has looked quick in camp, his 1st step is not elite, but I think he can still get the QB. He plays well with leverage. I don't think he is elite, but I think he could make a pro bowl or two.

Bigger concern at defensive end is the depth...

Or....maybe this is just an easier scheme for him?? But obviously he must be putting "blame" on someone lmao. For what exactly, im guessing only you know, cause I didn't see or hear any mention of the need to blame. Blame for what exactly?

What circumstances?

Being injured?

Yes a rookie who dealt with an injury to start his career, but he still sucked when he came back up until week 17.

So missing the amount of time he did as a rookie, playing in an unispiried locker room who clearly tuned their coaches out, and you fully expected him to come in and rip it up.

Explain to me how Rex and Co. set him up for success...

Every player we saw flourish saw some pretty drastic decline in production and ability to execute, we all attribute that to Rex...

But yes, Lawson was supposed to be able to rise above all that. Terrific expectations.

I thought he actually wasn't that bad when he played last year. What Rex did to our defense made me so sick that it was hard to find anything good, but I actually thought Shaq was okay once he got in games. I'm kind of excited to see what he can do . It's almost like we have 3 rookies that will start on Defense that were all really high picks. White, Ragland and Shaq. Might be a fun defense quicker then we think.

Or....maybe this is just an easier scheme for him?? But obviously he must be putting "blame" on someone lmao. For what exactly, im guessing only you know, cause I didn't see or hear any mention of the need to blame. Blame for what exactly?

I didn't see anything about Shaq not being a fit for Rex's scheme. Until he failed in Rex's scheme and looked horrible.

His comments above appear to me like he's blaming the lack of "fit" for his performance.

I didn't see anything about Shaq not being a fit for Rex's scheme. Until he failed in Rex's scheme and looked horrible.

His comments above appear to me like he's blaming the lack of "fit" for his performance.

didnt rexs scheme fail as a whole, with the exception of a couple people everyone looked horrible or had a decline in play

I did not feel he would do well in 3-4 as a PR Lb personally. He is a containment strength player

Several players sucked independently of Rex's scheme.

Most players sucked because of it. Rob Rex whomever

Several players sucked independently of Rex's scheme.

Fully agreed - Preston Brown was flat-out awful, Jerry Hughes became invisible (and later had to tweet about playing through injuries as justification), Darby suddenly was one of the best to worst corners in the league in merely one season, Stephon Gilmore was going through the motions while not getting hurt (yes, this is a rather bad example for how well he played towards the second half of the year), and Corey Graham could make tackles - but that's about it as far as the safety position was concerned

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

And that was/is his game. Set the edge, make sure tackles, and clean up the mess made from chaos inflicted by the pass rush. Thats EXACTLY what he was drafted for. So, 7-8 sacks from just setting the edge will be a GOOD thing!

Exactly right - especially a team that gave up 300yrds rushing to Pitt and back to back 200yrd to Miami - dominating the edge while also giving some pass rush is a great addition

Correct. Too many people here had high expectations for him when he got back to practice after game 8 and then on the field in game 10. I argued about it on a number of occasions. Lawson literally had zero NFL practices under his belt when he started practicing halfway through the season. And there's no way he could have been in proper shape. It's good he got some game experience to get his feet wet. That was important. We should have a very good idea of what we have in him by the end of this season/start of 2018. We just have to wait and see.

He played in 10 games. Not less than half the season.......10 games. And he looked worse the more he played.

Maybe you personally actually didn't expect more..........but many of the backpedalers here did.

This guy WAS NOT DRAFTED TO SET THE EDGE........he was drafted to sack QB's.

Good to hear he's rushing the passer well in practice.......we'll see how he looks when not facing the league's worst pass blocking RT and a rookie that the Bills reached up to get in a bad draft for OT's.

Lol..he didnt look horrible to me. He looked like a rookie 4-3 DE that was moved to an unnatural 3-4 OLB position who was already behind the "curve" due to his surgery. But hey, thats just my opinion

He played in 10 games. Not less than half the season.......10 games. And he looked worse the more he played.

Maybe you personally actually didn't expect more..........but many of the backpedalers here did.

This guy WAS NOT DRAFTED TO SET THE EDGE........he was drafted to sack QB's.

Good to hear he's rushing the passer well in practice.......we'll see how he looks when not facing the league's worst pass blocking RT and a rookie that the Bills reached up to get in a bad draft for OT's.

Got a quote to back up why he was or was not drafted? Because that was exactly his strength at Clemson...setting the edge and cleaning up the mess left by the pass rush! So, to draft him as merely a sack artist is laughable, and not the truth

Lol..he didnt look horrible to me. He looked like a rookie 4-3 DE that was moved to an unnatural 3-4 OLB position who was already behind the "curve" due to his surgery. But hey, thats just my opinion

Got a quote to back up why he was or was not drafted? Because that was exactly his strength at Clemson...setting the edge and cleaning up the mess left by the pass rush! So, to draft him as merely a sack artist is laughable, and not the truth

Actually all the material I read from the previous year is that is exactly what Shaq was.....a edge setter who was run stopping, power to speed, high effort player.

My whole opinion on it was it was difficult to know exactly what he was because he was NEVER 100 percent healthy in college....always playing with one arm. I remember thinking that if the kid ever got to 100 percent he might would look like a top 5 pick easily.

fingers crossed

Actually all the material I read from the previous year is that is exactly what Shaq was.....a edge setter who was run stopping, power to speed, high effort player.

My whole opinion on it was it was difficult to know exactly what he was because he was NEVER 100 percent healthy in college....always playing with one arm. I remember thinking that if the kid ever got to 100 percent he might would look like a top 5 pick easily.

fingers crossed

I agree whole heartedly John. If he is in fact 100% healthy after all these years( he even went as far as to say the issues started in HS!) then I am super excited to see what kind of pass rusher he can become on TOP of being an excellent edge setter. It can only bode well for us IMO