Inside Brandon Beane's unlikely rise to Bills GM

Betting on himself: Inside Brandon Beane's unlikely rise to Buffalo Bills GM

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/06/betting_on_himself_the_untold_story_of_brandon_beanes_unlikely_rise_to_buffalo_b.html

Norwood, N.C. -- Brandon Beane probably thinks he can write a better story than this. He might even bet me a dollar.

Beane has betting on himself all his life. He picked NFL games against his teacher during his seventh grade history class. He bet his high school golf coach a drink and a candy bar during practice rounds. Even today, he can't pass the putting green at Dick's Sporting Goods without turning it into a competition. It never matters whether money actually changes hands. Beane just craves having something on the line.

"Since I knew who I was as a kid," Beane says, "it's just been in me."

Now Beane is putting everything on the line by leaving the Carolina Panthers to be the Buffalo Bills general manager. He's taking on the weight of a playoff drought, which has stumped five men before him over a span of nearly two decades.

I can't believe there's not a "show me the baby" comment yet.

Anyway, this was a great read and good insight into the new GM. Beane and McDermott seem like extremely focused individuals. I'm excited to see what they do here.

I can't believe there's not a "show me the baby" comment yet.

Anyway, this was a great read and good insight into the new GM. Beane and McDermott seem like extremely focused individuals. I'm excited to see what they do here.

SMTB!

A bit long, but a really good article. I echo the thoughts that Beane is a highly focused, passionate individual and it gives me renewed confidence in our FO. Didn't want to wait around to inherit the job at Carolina. Best quote at the end:

"I just felt something," Beane explained when asked why he took the job. "Seventeen years. These people are dying for a winner. I believe in myself ... I want nothing more than to watch this community go ape nuts that the Bills are back in the playoffs. And I have no doubt."

Beane said. "I consider, I always said the top three for football towns in no particular order, are Green Bay, Buffalo and Kansas City. So I knew, 'Hey, this is a football town.'

"It was a frustrating miserable loss at the end of the game," Beane said. "As mad as I was, I appreciated the fan base and how fired up. I mean, these people were hugging. I was kind of like, 'Chill.' You haven't won a playoff game. We were good that year. 12-4.

"He said they treat him like royalty now," Beane's mother Cindy said. "He's just not used to it.:

"The Pegulas were a big selling factor," Beane said. "You have to know you're going to have the resources, the backing and if I thought the standard had to be a 9 out of 10, they were a 12 out of 10.

Just wanted to say I love these qoutes.

Edited by Lafromboise

Beane said. "I consider, I always said the top three for football towns in no particular order, are Green Bay, Buffalo and Kansas City. So I knew, 'Hey, this is a football town.'

"It was a frustrating miserable loss at the end of the game," Beane said. "As mad as I was, I appreciated the fan base and how fired up. I mean, these people were hugging. I was kind of like, 'Chill.' You haven't won a playoff game. We were good that year. 12-4.

"He said they treat him like royalty now," Beane's mother Cindy said. "He's just not used to it.:

"The Pegulas were a big selling factor," Beane said. "You have to know you're going to have the resources, the backing and if I thought the standard had to be a 9 out of 10, they were a 12 out of 10.

I recall him making a comment about what the pegulas had to offer during his presser I believe about how advanced the facilities and resources were from Carolina.

I recall him making a comment about what the pegulas had to offer during his presser I believe about how advanced the facilities and resources were from Carolina.

i think a huge factor is the Pegulas' commitment to investing in high end FO personnel. Beane got his guys and to assemble that kind of group, deep pockets and a desire to improve must be there from ownership. Edited by YoloinOhio

Thanks for bringing them up btw.

They are quite awesome when set by themselves !!

i think a huge factor is the Pegulas' commitment to investing in high end FO personnel. Beane got his guys and to assemble that kind of group, deep pockets and a desire to improve must be there from ownership.

This really is a point to keep in mind.

Pegulas want what we want

Thanks for bringing them up btw.

They are quite awesome when set by themselves !!

This really is a point to keep in mind.

Pegulas want what we want

...damn right.....Pegula knows he made mistakes and certainly was entitled to them as a neophyte owner......takes a BIGGER man to admit and atone by making the moves he has so far in 2017....money is hardly an issue.....and the house is now packed with young gun 40 somethings so this is a long term relationship............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

...damn right.....Pegula knows he made mistakes and certainly was entitled to them as a neophyte owner......takes a BIGGER man to admit and atone by making the moves he has so far in 2017....money is hardly an issue......

I have long since forgiven him for Ryans.

took some professional counseling though

hey what are "resources" in the nfl?

it seems vague to me. like money? analytics? did he say specifically?

I can't say exactly since it's been awhile since I listened to the presser or whatever it was but be basically made it sound like they were head and shoulders above what he was use to in most of those things. Money, facility, analytics, etc. Basically anything related to scouting the players, getting the players and developing the players.

I can't say exactly since it's been awhile since I listened to the presser or whatever it was but be basically made it sound like they were head and shoulders above what he was use to in most of those things. Money, facility, analytics, etc. Basically anything related to scouting the players, getting the players and developing the players.

gotchya. what a difference in ownership compared to RW.

When asked why they chose the Bills, when other options existed, I think both mentioned ownership. From what I know about the moves made by NFL personnel, there is no bigger factor. There are some owners who are more concerned with making money than they are with winning. When that is the case, it is very difficult to execute a vision. I know that there are teams for which GM prospects around league say "no way would I work for that guy" when it comes to ownership. Not the case here.

Back in the sixties we used to bet on what the color of the next car coming down the street would be. And lots of other stuff. What is wrong with that? Very competitive and we all turned out fine. Well we are still here and not broke. You have to fail times before you succeed so that's not a bad thing.

...what did you charge 'em for "couch therapy"?.....seems to have worked and I may sign up with you..... :thumbsup:

I of course meant me. I need-ed counseling.

Been doing some yoga and deep breathing exercises.

And my Dr gave me two overstuffed punching balloons.Actually a prescription for those balloons. Some times i knock all the hot air out them while repeating " and this just in "

When asked why they chose the Bills, when other options existed, I think both mentioned ownership. From what I know about the moves made by NFL personnel, there is no bigger factor. There are some owners who are more concerned with making money than they are with winning. When that is the case, it is very difficult to execute a vision. I know that there are teams for which GM prospects around league say "no way would I work for that guy" when it comes to ownership. Not the case here.

On the other side of that, its not often you get to pick and choose so carefully while moving "up"

That's one of the reasons i can be a little excited about the Bills Future. This appears to be a cohesive group banding together driven by a coherent and self aware, up and coming Coach Sean.

It amazes me how this came together so quickly.

Pegulas might be on to something here. And Maybe these Young Guns are motivated and focused enough to create a long term viable program in Buffalo.

I would have taken the risk. and I would already feel rewarded how this staff seems to operate

Edited by 3rdand12

On the other side of that, its not often you get to pick and choose so carefully while moving "up"

That's one of the reasons i can be a little excited about the Bills Future. This appears to be a cohesive group banding together driven by a coherent and self aware, up and coming Coach Sean.

It amazes me how this came together so quickly.

Pegulas might be on to something here. And Maybe these Young Guns are motivated and focused enough to create a long term viable program in Buffalo.

I would have taken the risk. and I would already feel rewarded how this staff seems to operate

I'm not so sure, I mean, they haven't even painted their trucks as far as I know. And......Do they even go to Sabres games??? :)

I'm not so sure, I mean, they haven't even painted their trucks as far as I know. And......Do they even go to Sabres games??? :)

I think they go to church alot.

Much different than going to a Sabres game i suppose.

Do these folks even drive trucks?

But lets look forward to how the Team responds to the new Kids in Town running the Show. That is my key for the season and the future.

Opening Day is when i will form a strong and possibly biased opinion.

Till then it's pomp and circumstance

I think they go to church alot.

Much different than going to a Sabres game i suppose.

Do these folks even drive trucks?

But lets look forward to how the Team responds to the new Kids in Town running the Show. That is my key for the season and the future.

Opening Day is when i will form a strong and possibly biased opinion.

Till then it's pomp and circumstance

....BUT the aroma tells me somethin' MAY be brewin'.........better hurry up because in year 55 of following this club, I'm running outta time...and where I'm headed, cell phones, LCD's and Dells are NOT heat resistant.. :thumbsup: ......

....BUT the aroma tells me somethin' MAY be brewin'.........better hurry up because in year 55 of following this club, I'm running outta time...and where I'm headed, cell phones, LCD's and Dells are NOT heat resistant.. :thumbsup: ......

yep, i saw that .

No matter what you do, you gotta have hope.

Probably get you on a party line though. just have to wait your turn to hear We won it all!