I'll say this for Fitzy

I don't the mistakes were mainly bad decisions, he takes higher risks but the bigger issue is the inability to fit the ball into tight spots or loosen up the defenses with the threat of the long ball

The QB's you mentioned all have much better arms than Fitzy, they make throws that would be interceptions if thrown by him. I can think of several late and close games where Fitzpatrick made some late plays win win games just as he has lost them. Choking generally refers to a player getting uptight, afraid to lose, playing scared. I don't think that describes Fitzy.

You're right about what choking is, and I think I agree that Fitz didn't choke. He just didn't deliver in the clutch.

You're wrong about his arm. It's a bad play when a player in any sport tries to make a play he can't make. If his arm isn't strong enough to make a throw, he shouldn't be making the throw. When Roethlisberger sees a throw he can't make, he doesn't throw it. That's good QB play.

When it's fourth down, or when there's no time left on the clock, I don't care if the QB throws an INT. But if you would have had another play but for the interception, it's a BAD play to throw an interception just because you aren't afraid to fail. If Fitzy couldn't make the throw, it's was a bad play to throw it.

Similarly, I don't care if Ben was on good teams and Fitzy was on bad teams. The games on the line in the fourth quarter, and every throw you make in the 4th quarter. The fact that throughout his career Fitz threw almost half his INTs in the fourth quarter means that when the game is on the line, he's giving the ball away and good QBs aren't.

So I agree he didn't choke in the true sense of the word. What Fitz isn't is clutch. He isn't clutch. He doesn't deliver when the game is on the line.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When he retires, he'll end up on wall street and make even MORE money.

There are plenty of super smart Harvard dudes on Wall Street that aren't worth $25 mil in their mid 30s. He chose the more lucrative path.

You're right about what choking is, and I think I agree that Fitz didn't choke. He just didn't deliver in the clutch.

You're wrong about his arm. It's a bad play when a player in any sport tries to make a play he can't make. If his arm isn't strong enough to make a throw, he shouldn't be making the throw. When Roethlisberger sees a throw he can't make, he doesn't throw it. That's good QB play.

When it's fourth down, or when there's no time left on the clock, I don't care if the QB throws an INT. But if you would have had another play but for the interception, it's a BAD play to throw an interception just because you aren't afraid to fail. If Fitzy couldn't make the throw, it's was a bad play to throw it.

Similarly, I don't care if Ben was on good teams and Fitzy was on bad teams. The games on the line in the fourth quarter, and every throw you make in the 4th quarter. The fact that throughout his career Fitz threw almost half his INTs in the fourth quarter means that when the game is on the line, he's giving the ball away and good QBs aren't.

So I agree he didn't choke in the true sense of the word. What Fitz isn't is clutch. He isn't clutch. He doesn't deliver when the game is on the line.

I'm very concerned as we get further away from this guy's tenure the legend is going to grow.

He has always been a borderline starter, which is why he moved around....

His arm isn't strong, so he needs a full wind up to make NFL passes. And there are certain throws, like deep left sideline ball he has never been able to hit if his life depended upon it. I'd even suggest his decision making is suspect as he'd take some dumb shots at inopportune times.

But in an era of losers we have flutie Fitz and fjax...

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

His arm isn't strong, so he needs a full wind up to make NFL passes. And there are certain throws, like deep left sideline ball he has never been able to hit if his life depended upon it. I'd even gesture his decision making is suspect as he'd take some dumb shots at inopportune times.

You're right on the money. I loved the guy. I even believed when Gailey said he could be a top flite starter. But

If you have a weaker arm, you have to be better in all the other parts of the game. He had a weak arm and was a poor decision maker. That's a bad combination. And that's why his passer rating is in the low 80s.

this guy made tens of millions with his wedding ring and beard gimmick

And he earned it, too. There was one game when I think he started and really messed up his ankle or knee. He came out, barely able to walk. Backup came in and got dinged. Fitz came back and gutted it out. He just made up his mind that someone had to play, so he did it. Tough, tough dude. Never afraid to take hits.

i'm curious to what he'll do after. i'm guessing at this, but wasn't he and english or lit major? i'm sure he'll be good at what he does, but i'm not sure if he's a wall street guy.

CBS color commentator assigned to all Bills games with Spero Dedes.

with the defense we had we needed smart football. He had that for us. We could have limited his turnovers by playing him like we do Taylor. Both Taylor and Fitz are equal in quality.

History tainted fitz. It will taytay when he is gone, too.

The fact that Fitz plays "smart" football is one of the greatest misnomers about him. He often plays recklessly with poor situational awareness.

Whats really funny is he is always brought in as a BU but winds up starting.

Thats because the teams were all desperate for QB and all end up desperately trying to replace him as soon as he becomes their crappy starter. He is good Backup, but not a good starter. Good enough to think you might have a chance, but bad enough to insure that chance is fools gold and will never be realized.

The fact that Fitz plays "smart" football is one of the greatest misnomers about him. He often plays recklessly with poor situational awareness.

when he had poor coaches try to have him sling the ball all around to make a comeback. yes.

when everyone else on the offense was terrible. yes.

when he had next to nothing on the team for wide receivers and the like. yes

but in the first 55 minutes of every game he generally played as good as taylor and any qb we have had since. only a few times was manuel more clutch than fitz

I did not know that.

But do you know why he wears his ring? When the Bills played in Dallas several years ago I had the great fortune to get seats 13 rows from the field at the 45. Before the game I met Fitz's family (my son was wearing a "throwing Fitz" tshirt). His dad told me he wore it because he was afraid to take it off for fear of forgetting where he put it..... no joke.

I did not know that.

when he had poor coaches try to have him sling the ball all around to make a comeback. yes.

when everyone else on the offense was terrible. yes.

when he had next to nothing on the team for wide receivers and the like. yes

but in the first 55 minutes of every game he generally played as good as taylor and any qb we have had since. only a few times was manuel more clutch than fitz

he always had that killer turnover.

I don't think it's fair to say he's a choker. He just doesn't have the physical talents (arm strength being the most obvious) to win in those big spots. Teams just start to take away the quick outs and stuff over the middle and he becomes a much easier QB to defend and makes more mistakes. Its more physical errors than the mental ones I associate with being a choker.

I've thought about this, and I think actually it's mental. I think Fitz plays well when he's the underdog and has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove or someone chasing him to start.

When he comes in as the established starter, he just doesn't play as well.

Teams really should have enough film on Fitz not to need a season to take the stuff he can do away from him.

Save for Kurt Warner, he has made more money ($54 million, including the Tampa Bay one year deal) than any QB in NFL history drafted later than him (250th, 7th round), or undrafted.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/ryan-fitzpatrick-1336/cash-earnings/

Delhomme was undrafted and earned a lot more than you'd think.

Not sure but he's probably around the same area. Thought of Cassel but he was drafted at 230.