I'll say this for Fitzy

Can't hate on him, he has busted his ass to become a fringe starter in this league who simply lacks the physical attributes to be a true starter. Most guys with his skill set would have settled for hanging out and being a career backup/clipboard holder or being out of the league after 3 or 4 seasons.

Agreed

It's exactly what he is.

No he's not for the reasons I explained

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed

No he's not for the reasons I explained

I don't agree with your explanation. When the pressure is on to make a play in late game situations, he instead often makes some of the most horrendous decisions. He's a choke artist.

I don't agree with your explanation. When the pressure is on to make a play in late game situations, he instead often makes some of the most horrendous decisions. He's a choke artist.

Right and I explained why... his limited physical skills don't provide a lot of options. He made some aggressive decisions just didn't have the physical skills to execute

Right and I explained why... his limited physical skills don't provide a lot of options. He made some aggressive decisions just didn't have the physical skills to execute

Not buying it. Limited physical skills have nothing to do with a decision to throw to a bracketed or triple covered receiver. His late game/4th quarter stats show a higher propensity for interceptions. I'll say it again.....He's a choke artist.

The NYJ 2015 season finale with the playoffs on the line against a depleted Bills' team with nothing to play for says everything you'd want to know about Fitz. He was horrendous in that game and especially so in the 4th quarter. CHOKER!

Not buying it. Limited physical skills have nothing to do with a decision to throw to a bracketed or triple covered receiver. His late game/4th quarter stats show a higher propensity for interceptions. I'll say it again.....He's a choke artist.

The NYJ 2015 season finale with the playoffs on the line against a depleted Bills' team with nothing to play for says everything you'd want to know about Fitz. He was horrendous in that game and especially so in the 4th quarter. CHOKER!

In earlier discussion in this thread I agreed with others that CHOKER is not the right characterization. Choking means he gets anxious in the moment and his anxiety keeps him from performing well. That isn't what happens to Fitz. He's a lousy decision maker in critical points in the game. He does what you say - throws into coverage, tries to make throws his arm can't, etc. Unless it's fourth down or the last play of the game, those decisions are bad because there's always another play, which is another opportunity for your team to make a play or the opponent to make a mistake.

Fitzy is a gunslinger, like Favre and Big Ben, but without the arm to back it up. In the old west, being a gunslinger and a lousy shot was a bad combination. Fitz is the football equivalent.

In earlier discussion in this thread I agreed with others that CHOKER is not the right characterization. Choking means he gets anxious in the moment and his anxiety keeps him from performing well. That isn't what happens to Fitz. He's a lousy decision maker in critical points in the game. He does what you say - throws into coverage, tries to make throws his arm can't, etc. Unless it's fourth down or the last play of the game, those decisions are bad because there's always another play, which is another opportunity for your team to make a play or the opponent to make a mistake.

Fitzy is a gunslinger, like Favre and Big Ben, but without the arm to back it up. In the old west, being a gunslinger and a lousy shot was a bad combination. Fitz is the football equivalent.

What happens when you try to swallow a big blob of peanut butter with a spoon full of cinnamon? You choke! :lol: Ask Fitz.

That's why we loved him. For a little while. A guy with a limited talent set for an NFL QB, yet not afraid to act like he was fully capable of doing the things a Favre did. Which is why we hated him as a QB after a little while. I wonder what Fitzy would do if he played on a team with a really good defense and somehow restrained himself from trying those dangerous plays? We saw a little bit of that in Houston, but that didn't last either.

Agreed

...look at some of the guys still exploiting paychecks masquerading as "NFL QB's"......other than a handful, most 1st rounders in the last decade would not even be UDFA's yesteryear.....defines the state of the NFL QB spot IMO.....pretty sad.....

That's why we loved him. For a little while. A guy with a limited talent set for an NFL QB, yet not afraid to act like he was fully capable of doing the things a Favre did. Which is why we hated him as a QB after a little while. I wonder what Fitzy would do if he played on a team with a really good defense and somehow restrained himself from trying those dangerous plays? We saw a little bit of that in Houston, but that didn't last either.

That IS why we loved him. He was us out there, an ordinary guy (except for that Harvard thing) trying to play with the pros and damn near making it. And I agree about Houston. In just the right circumstance, Fitz could have won.

Not who he is. Making bone headed decisions is in his QB DNA.

That IS why we loved him. He was us out there, an ordinary guy (except for that Harvard thing) trying to play with the pros and damn near making it. And I agree about Houston. In just the right circumstance, Fitz could have won.

,,,the prototypical journeyman....7th round StL pick migrates to Cincy as a backup....Bflo signs 'em as a NO THREAT backup to our starting savior, Spent Trent Edwards...he goes down in flames and we give Fitz absurd money....and his Harvard financial brain far outweighs his arm or football sense as the guy is still extorting absurd money for mediocrity IMO...........

,,,the prototypical journeyman....7th round StL pick migrates to Cincy as a backup....Bflo signs 'em as a NO THREAT backup to our starting savior, Spent Trent Edwards...he goes down in flames and we give Fitz absurd money....and his Harvard financial brain far outweighs his arm or football sense as the guy is still extorting absurd money for mediocrity IMO...........

I think you want to revisit the actual meaning of the word "extorting"

....seriously?....so him shopping for $18 mil and the Jesters caving at $12 mil was a worthwhile and productive investment??......so was Enron stock (COUGH)............

....seriously?....so him shopping for $18 mil and the Jesters caving at $12 mil was a worthwhile and productive investment??......so was Enron stock (COUGH)............

OldTimeAFLGuy does not have a Harvard education, I think he translates extorting as "money which I would rather be paid to me".

My debate teacher taught me this: Exaggeration is a tool used by the mentally unprepared.

OldTimeAFLGuy does not have a Harvard education, I think he translates extorting as "money which I would rather be paid to me".

My debate teacher taught me this: Exaggeration is a tool used by the mentally unprepared.

...I'm still reading "See Spot Run"....have your dog take you for a walk sonny.............

Very true. He may have been the most beloved player since Flutie at the start of that 11' season. He comes across as very likeable/relatable.

Too bad though over time he can't back it up

Not who he is. Making bone headed decisions is in his QB DNA.

i think this is right. we see other qbs, great qbs, make similar decisions but throw lazer beams and get away with it. a bad decision with brilliant execution can make for some incredible plays. fitz didn't have the arm or the accuracy to thread the needle through tight coverage, nor did he have the ability to stop himself from trying. being down by multiple scores at times and feeling like he had to put the team on his back and "earn that paycheck" didn't help either. still love the guy.

Very true. He may have been the most beloved player since Flutie at the start of that 11' season. He comes across as very likeable/relatable.

Too bad though over time he can't back it up

...irony is that OBD signed the journeyman solely as a backup non-threat to Spent Trent the anointed starter....Trent folded and Fitz is like an old Timex....Swayze, "just keeps on tickin'"..............

I think "ordinary guy" is a bit of an exaggeration. Fitz has NFL level talent that can't be found with any Joe off the street. His NFL talent just happens to be backup level. A few lucky bounces and a league with a lack of QB's made Fitz more than he should have ever been.