I'll say this for Fitzy

I went to a jets game last year and he was not playing well. I got to know some of the fans in my area and told them I was a bills fan. Then we got to laughing about how both teams got snake bit by Fitz.

Edited by judman

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about this, and I think actually it's mental. I think Fitz plays well when he's the underdog and has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove or someone chasing him to start.

When he comes in as the established starter, he just doesn't play as well.

Teams really should have enough film on Fitz not to need a season to take the stuff he can do away from him.

Who's to say? We aren't psychologists and he isn't telling us what he thinking. But I don't agree it's mental. I think he knows exactly what he's doing

The fundamental problem, as others have said, his that he has a below-caliber arm. He just can't make some of the throws the game requires. That puts him at a disadvantage.

I also think the guy loves to play and he hates to lose, so he's always trying to make the play to win the game. It's just his nature. In that way I think he's very much like Favre. Favre made some horrible end-of-game decisions because he loved to play, he wanted to win and he thought he could do anything. Favre would have been better if he'd played more under control. The difference between Favre and Fitz was that Favre's arm bailed him out of more of his mistakes than Fitzy arm could save Fitzy. And that difference translated into this difference: the Packers didn't like Favre's decision making but tolerated it because it worked out well often enough that they were willing to live with the times bad decisions hurt them. Fitzy's teams suffer from his bad decision making because his arm isn't able to overcome enough of his bad decisions.

Who's to say? We aren't psychologists and he isn't telling us what he thinking. But I don't agree it's mental. I think he knows exactly what he's doing

The fundamental problem, as others have said, his that he has a below-caliber arm. He just can't make some of the throws the game requires. That puts him at a disadvantage.

I also think the guy loves to play and he hates to lose, so he's always trying to make the play to win the game. It's just his nature. In that way I think he's very much like Favre. Favre made some horrible end-of-game decisions because he loved to play, he wanted to win and he thought he could do anything. Favre would have been better if he'd played more under control. The difference between Favre and Fitz was that Favre's arm bailed him out of more of his mistakes than Fitzy arm could save Fitzy. And that difference translated into this difference: the Packers didn't like Favre's decision making but tolerated it because it worked out well often enough that they were willing to live with the times bad decisions hurt them. Fitzy's teams suffer from his bad decision making because his arm isn't able to overcome enough of his bad decisions.

I always loved the passion he displayed on and off the field. He is a gamer. He seems to have the most problems when behind and forcing things. I'm hoping he develops into a starter but, could Nate Peterman be the next Fitz?

with the defense we had we needed smart football. He had that for us. We could have limited his turnovers by playing him like we do Taylor. Both Taylor and Fitz are equal in quality.

History tainted fitz. It will taytay when he is gone, too.

Agreed, I know this isn't saying much but I've always said that, other than Bledsoe, Fitz has been the best QB we've had during the playoff drought. And TBH, when you take into consideration only Bledose's time he was with us, not his years with NE, I think an argument could be made that Fitz was a better QB for us than Bledsoe was. Unfortunately, Fitz was hear during some of our worst defensive years as well so he didn't get much support. Not to mention the fact that his best receiver couldn't make a catch when it really mattered.

Agreed, I know this isn't saying much but I've always said that, other than Bledsoe, Fitz has been the best QB we've had during the playoff drought. And TBH, when you take into consideration only Bledose's time he was with us, not his years with NE, I think an argument could be made that Fitz was a better QB for us than Bledsoe was. Unfortunately, Fitz was hear during some of our worst defensive years as well so he didn't get much support. Not to mention the fact that his best receiver couldn't make a catch when it really mattered.

Tyrod Taylor says Bolshevik!

with the defense we had we needed smart football. He had that for us. We could have limited his turnovers by playing him like we do Taylor. Both Taylor and Fitz are equal in quality.

History tainted fitz. It will taytay when he is gone, too.

No way in the world Taylor and Fitz are equal in quality. No way. Compare whatever stats you want, or simply think about this:

Taylor can throw deep, Ftiz can't.

Taylor is a SERIOUS running threat. Fitz isn't.

Taylor doesn't throw INTs. Fitz does.

The only thing Fitz does better than Taylor is grow hair on his face.

No way in the world Taylor and Fitz are equal in quality. No way. Compare whatever stats you want, or simply think about this:

Yet, Fitz set a Jets td record.

Also, Fitz played with the all UDFA all stars (Johnson, Nelson, Jackson, Jones). Tyrod got to play with the #4 overall pick and one of the best rbs in McCoy.

watch enough football and you'll see it.

Fitz was a leader. So is Taylor. But fitz had guys willing to step up and run with him. Fitz had chandler as a tight end and that was often his best target. And Johnson. Two guys who didn't even start after they left the team.

Stats are just something for geeks on PFF. There is nothing clutch about fitz or Taylor. There is nothing special about Taylors long ball. Its chuck it up and let the we get it. Fitz didn't have that. I'd rather see fitz with Watkins than Taylor. Fitz had timing and eyes to get his WR's yac. Look at slow ass Steve Johnsons yac. Watkins would have done better. Look at graham and nelson. And Donald Jones. Those guys were not even 3rd string quality and here they were often #2.

Fitzs line had levitre, a young cordy Glenn, overrated beyond all imagination Eric wood, and I think one time we started a NY subway turnstile at left guard and tackle.

Yet, Fitz set a Jets td record.

Also, Fitz played with the all UDFA all stars (Johnson, Nelson, Jackson, Jones). Tyrod got to play with the #4 overall pick and one of the best rbs in McCoy.

Fitz played in Buffalo with Lee Evans and Terrell Owens one season, with Lee Evans and Stevie Johnson a second season. Fitz played with Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. Don't try to make us believe that Taylor had better receivers.

Fitz had ONE season, ONE, where his passer rating was better than Taylor's career average passer rating.

His arm wouldn't be as big of a problem if his brain realized the limitations of it. So I do think that the mental aspect of his game is a big issue.

You're right about what choking is, and I think I agree that Fitz didn't choke. He just didn't deliver in the clutch.

You're wrong about his arm. It's a bad play when a player in any sport tries to make a play he can't make. If his arm isn't strong enough to make a throw, he shouldn't be making the throw. When Roethlisberger sees a throw he can't make, he doesn't throw it. That's good QB play.

When it's fourth down, or when there's no time left on the clock, I don't care if the QB throws an INT. But if you would have had another play but for the interception, it's a BAD play to throw an interception just because you aren't afraid to fail. If Fitzy couldn't make the throw, it's was a bad play to throw it.

Similarly, I don't care if Ben was on good teams and Fitzy was on bad teams. The games on the line in the fourth quarter, and every throw you make in the 4th quarter. The fact that throughout his career Fitz threw almost half his INTs in the fourth quarter means that when the game is on the line, he's giving the ball away and good QBs aren't.

So I agree he didn't choke in the true sense of the word. What Fitz isn't is clutch. He isn't clutch. He doesn't deliver when the game is on the line.

We are in agreement on most things, most importantly that neither of us would want Fitz at the helm if the season or play-offs were on the line. He's a back-up at best. The only point I have a slight disagreement with you about are the importance of arm strength and and bad decisions. I agree that players shouldn't try to do "too much" but his limited physical skills impact his options and require him to take more chances, especially late in the game and in pressure situation when defenses take away the plays he's been successful on (bubble screen ect..) and limit his options. If Fitz were to "play it safe" we could have relived the Captain Checkdown/Trent Edwards days again. I would argue that his limited physical abilities require him to be more aggressive, therefore makes more mistakes, That has less to do with clutch/choke which would again be a mental issue.

Edited by HT02

I went to a jets game last year and he was not playing well. I got to know some of the fans in my area and told them I was a bills fan. Then we got to laughing about how both teams got snake bit by Fitz.

he was 10-6 for the Jets that one year.. so CLOSE!

Closer than he ever got in Buffalo for that matter.

Yeah, he must have hated having Decker, Marshall, and Forte.

Fitz had very nice weapons with the NYJ and he was still the same weak armed QB who made bone headed decisions to choke in the clutch with soul crushing interceptions.

The point I originally made was never about how he did with the Jets. It was about how he did with Buffalo.

Edited by Talley56