Public Financing of Stadiums

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be the new public housing as promised? Or selling the land, which gets it on the tax rolls, and privately developed. It's been suggested the later as it's a natural progression of development from Larkinvile.

I do hope it's the affordable housing option, lots of "regular folk" being chased out of once affordable neighborhoods.

Well, considering the fact that Buffalo (as well as all upstate NY) continues to lose population, a new stadium is the last thing that they should be spending money on.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/23/latest-census-numbers-show-buffalo-niagara-population-loss/

I agree. This is why I am so strongly opposed to public stadium funding. If a city such as Atlanta or Seattle support a stadium it's different than Buffalo supporting one. New York State and Buffalo have bigger fish to fry than building football stadiums. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Didn't they just do that about a year ago?

Sort of. The Ralph is sporting a tie now. Unfortunately it's a clip on, compared to other stadiums.

The Ralph has good bones. Build around those bones a bit and save the taxpayer some bucks compared to a new downtown palace.

Pegs should do just enough enhancement to show the other owners that he tried. Show his league partners he's a team player ... yet not break the local bank.

New stadium and I will be watching from the couch.

Yeah, I feel the same. The vibe and the ritual keep me coming back every season. Sure isn't the football.

New barn, I'd prob go to a game or two a year.

I really hope we stay where we are, but I'm open to try the change if it happens.

So the county, state and feds have already approved infrastructure/traffic/construction studies and plans?

Comeon now, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here over a couple buildings.

Gonna take something more concrete before I'd say downtown is a "lock".

Pegulas have their hands in all sorts of business. I'll wait and see.

So the county, state and feds have already approved infrastructure/traffic/construction studies and plans?

Comeon now, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here over a couple buildings.

Hence my use of "pretty much". But everything you ask about is in the works. Some studies are even already complete,

Yeah, that small building totally puts a lock on the stadium footprint.

Probably what Pegulas are planning to do is similar to the revenues other owners are going after. They are buying property around their stadiums to create entertainment districts for eating/drinking/etc. These buildings and others like it will enable that.

Probably what Pegulas are planning to do is similar to the revenues other owners are going after. They are buying property around their stadiums to create entertainment districts for eating/drinking/etc. These buildings and others like it will enable that.

Exactly

Yeah, it's pretty foolish to associate Pegula buying a small building near the arena, with a new stadium there.

Let me know when (if) he buys the Perry projects.

Yes, It's the only piece of property Pegula owns in that area

Are you saying he has enough property in that vicinity to facilitate a pro football stadium as well as sufficient parking? Honest question... I know he's made several purcahses around that area, but I don't know exactly how much. Maybe his latest purchase is a small piece of a larger plan (stadium), but I'm not going to automatically assume that's the case after buying one small building here and there.

Are you saying he has enough property in that vicinity to facilitate a pro football stadium as well as sufficient parking? Honest question... I know he's made several purcahses around that area, but I don't know exactly how much. Maybe his latest purchase is a small piece of a larger plan (stadium), but I'm not going to automatically assume that's the case after buying one small building here and there.

It is, and you should.

Thread police should not have to remind you to do a search before you start a redundant thread. Mods do a very good job trying to keep redundant threads to a minimum. Helps when the members make a little effort to do a little work to see if the topic is or has been discussed. Please don't call out the mod police if you have not put any effort in yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Well you can throw out they can use it for concerts point. Tickets sales from what I'm hearing for Guns and Roses is in the twenty thousands range and U2 is in the fourty thousands range at this time. Also monster trucks. The last time there was a monster truck show at Rich stadium had to be 35 years ago.

Dress up the Ralph. There. I said it.

The 2 new practice fields are done and the new road looks like it should be done this week. I believe that was a $4.5 million project paid by the Pegulas. 2 crazy guys yesterday installed the first of the new field lighting. They had them on last night. No new signage yet, advertisers, $30 parking, Uber lot, etc. as that usually goes up the week before the first game.

Well you can throw out they can use it for concerts point. Tickets sales from what I'm hearing for Guns and Roses is in the twenty thousands range and U2 is in the fourty thousands range at this time. Also monster trucks. The last time there was a monster truck show at Rich stadium had to be 35 years ago.

Yeah, not many 'stadium rock' acts left that can fill a barn that big anymore.

However, both G-n-R and U2 are extremely irrelevant at this point in time. Put these shows there in 1987, would have been packed.

My wife, huge G-n-R fan, was even like "meh, no thanks. they're just sad at this point".

And also, $30 parking now? Thanks Terry!

However, both G-n-R and U2 are extremely irrelevant at this point in time. Put these shows there in 1987, would have been packed.

My wife, huge G-n-R fan, was even like "meh, no thanks. they're just sad at this point".

For this years sold out (25,000) Taste Of Country held in the downtown ball park, some of the lots charged $40.

The current Guns n Roses tour (2016-2017) is the 5th highest-grossing tour ... ever. And in 1987, they weren't headliners.

Edited by Gugny

You aren't going to find a lot of support with, "I'd rather the Bills leave than..."

The reality is you are going to be looking at a public-private partnership. There are lots of ways to pass the cost along. That's the way the world works and there are 32 teams. You can either fall in line or watch your team leave.

Legal blackmail but that is the cost of team presence, The Pegula's have given Buffalo a gift because by rights there is no way a money hungry owner keeps the team in Buffalo. The deal the raider got is insane.

Legal blackmail but that is the cost of team presence, The Pegula's have given Buffalo a gift because by rights there is no way a money hungry owner keeps the team in Buffalo. The deal the raider got is insane.

Yep

The Pegula's have secured them but at some point they aren't going to stand around as the lowest valued NFL team. They will be seeking more revenue and that's likely coming with a new stadium. The gap isn't closing otherwise. They'll never be a top 10 or 15 team revenue wise but can probably get to 25 or so.

...perhaps this could keep the Pegulas outta soup kitchen lines...... :thumbsup: ..........

Bills' piece of national NFL revenue pie revealed to be a whopping $244 million

By Jay Skurski | Published July 13, 2017| Updated

July 13, 2017

It's good to be Terry and Kim Pegula. Or any of the NFL's other 31 owners, for that matter.

The Buffalo Bills pulled in a staggering $244 million last season as their share of the $7.8 billion in national revenue split among the league's 32 teams. That figure was revealed Wednesday as the publicly owned Green Bay Packers released financial data from the fiscal year April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017. By doing so, the Packers – the only publicly owned team in professional sports – provide a glimpse into the mega-money world of the NFL. Packers CEO Mark Murphy, a Clarence native, revealed that his team brought in $441.4 million in total revenue.

"We’re very fortunate that we’ve seen the kind of growth that we have, and I feel very confident that we’ll continue to see it, at least through the rest of this collective bargaining agreement,” Murphy said on a conference call, according to Bloomberg.

Undoubtedly, the Pegulas feel the same way. League revenues rose nearly 10 percent from the previous year, when teams pulled in $222.6 million, Bloomberg reported.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

If we brought the salaries and benefits packages of State government employees in line with the privste sector we could afford to build ten stadiums. One of my nephews close friends doubled his annual income as a court reporter when he got a state job through a political connection. My best friends wife got a f-----g boob job for free because her govt job has a cosmetic insurance rider. Funny but neither of those situations benefitted me. As far as Im concered they can build eight stadiums around here. One for each home game. At least I get something for my tax money with that.