Public Financing of Stadiums

I would hate for the Bills to ever leave Buffalo, but this story just confirms how taxpayers gets screwed time and time again when it comes to public financing for stadiums. I'd rather the Bills leave than the taxpayers of Buffalo, Erie County or New York get fleeced just to build a play pen for the rich owners of a sports franchise.

Nevada Taxpayers, Please Bend Over

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hate for the Bills to ever leave Buffalo, but this story just confirms how taxpayers gets screwed time and time again when it comes to public financing for stadiums. I'd rather the Bills leave than the taxpayers of Buffalo, Erie County or New York get fleeced just to build a play pen for the rich owners of a sports franchise.

You aren't going to find a lot of support with, "I'd rather the Bills leave than..."

The reality is you are going to be looking at a public-private partnership. There are lots of ways to pass the cost along. That's the way the world works and there are 32 teams. You can either fall in line or watch your team leave.

Understand what your saying, but it will happen. The Bills are a treasure to another City if it doesn't.

The tax payer will pay for it either way, whether we know it or not. Ticket prices, concessions, increased taxes. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I would have no problem contributing some to the funding. After all, we do get to enjoy the spoils of being an NFL city. That being said, I'm sure a billionaire can front a little extra cash so is plebeians aren't totally responsible

You aren't going to find a lot of support with, "I'd rather the Bills leave than..."

The reality is you are going to be looking at a public-private partnership. There are lots of ways to pass the cost along. That's the way the world works and there are 32 teams. You can either fall in line or watch your team leave.

Amen. It will be a partnership, and I am very curious to see HOW it turns out (not IF).

Side note: drove around the new Mercedes Benz Dome in ATL yesterday. Wow. We won't get THAT.

The tax payer will pay for it either way, whether we know it or not. Ticket prices, concessions, increased taxes. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I would have no problem contributing some to the funding. After all, we do get to enjoy the spoils of being an NFL city. That being said, I'm sure a billionaire can front a little extra cash so is plebeians aren't totally responsible

Study after study shows that public financing is a losing financial proposition for cities and states, so I'm not sure what the spoils of being an NFL city really amount to. With that said, a small public contribution isn't terribly objectionable, but when you see how badly Las Vegas got bilked, as well as other cities mentioned in the article, you have to be concerned about how owners are able to extort dollars from the taxpayers.

People still read Deadspin?

Don't underestimate the amount of revenue and visitors a stadium brings to a city. San Diego refused to build the Chargers a stadium downtown, now they might lose Comic Con. San Diego was a huge draw for out of town visitors. Stadiums are not just for football anymore, Orlando saw a $150M pump for Wrestlemania. http://www.clickorlando.com/sports/wrestlemania-to-pump-125-million-into-orlando-area-economy

Amen. It will be a partnership, and I am very curious to see HOW it turns out (not IF).

Side note: drove around the new Mercedes Benz Dome in ATL yesterday. Wow. We won't get THAT.

It looks quite impressive. Can't wait to check it out this fall!!

I guess I'll be the only one to agree with you.

Public funded football only stadiums are a total scam and not the slightest bit in the public interest. They cost a fortune, are rarely ever utilized outside of the few football dates per year, take up a ton of valuable real estate (or if they're built in the boonies cost a ton in infrastructure improvements) and generate minimal jobs and income for the area.

If politicians cared at all about the regular tax payer they would put it to a referendum, except that they have noticed that those don't go so well so they don't

Here in Charlotte, they had a referendum on a new downtown arena. Lost. And then build the stadium anyway using a different (but still public) funding stream. That's how much they care about what the tax payers want.

I guess I'll be the only one to agree with you.

Public funded football only stadiums are a total scam and not the slightest bit in the public interest. They cost a fortune, are rarely ever utilized outside of the few football dates per year, take up a ton of valuable real estate (or if they're built in the boonies cost a ton in infrastructure improvements) and generate minimal jobs and income for the area.

If politicians cared at all about the regular tax payer they would put it to a referendum, except that they have noticed that those don't go so well so they don't

Here in Charlotte, they had a referendum on a new downtown arena. Lost. And then build the stadium anyway using a different (but still public) funding stream. That's how much they care about what the tax payers want.

Agree totally. Proponents bring up concept of economic activity generated, but as explained in this opinion piece in Forbes, that generally is a scam.

Taxpayers lose in financing stadiums

Study after study shows that public financing is a losing financial proposition for cities and states, so I'm not sure what the spoils of being an NFL city really amount to. With that said, a small public contribution isn't terribly objectionable, but when you see how badly Las Vegas got bilked, as well as other cities mentioned in the article, you have to be concerned about how owners are able to extort dollars from the taxpayers.

Being a Buffalonian, I suppose the spoils to me would be getting to enjoy an NFL franchise in our city. No, I get no monetary value from them but I am offered a chance to experience one of 32 teams in the greatest sport in America.

After all, we do get to enjoy the spoils of being an NFL city.

What spoils exactly?

The NFL is a big sham.

The Bills are not so important that tax payers should pay a dime towards a new stadium. People who think that's the case are delusional and drinking the NFL Kool-Aid IMO.

What spoils exactly?

The NFL is a big sham.

The Bills are not so important that tax payers should pay a dime towards a new stadium. People who think that's the case are delusional and drinking the NFL Kool-Aid IMO.

You must not be from Western NY. Do you have no pride in the Bills playing in Buffalo?

For me, I enjoy it. Being able to experience the NFL in my own city is something I don't take for granted

Edited by AlwaysBilleve

I thought the Pegulas were going to self-finance the lion's share of stadium costs, with Jeremy Jacobs chipping in for concession rights, plus some type of PSL. The state and county would pick up infrastructure costs.

What spoils exactly?

The NFL is a big sham.

If you do not like NFL,Then go enjoy some other tax supported ventures like parks, museums, mass transit to get there, civic centers, opera houses, amphitheaters, concert halls, golf courses, Walmart, the Perry projects, etc etc......

Edited by cba fan

count me among those against shelling out my taxes for billionaire owners. This idea that this is how the game is played is a pathetic, selfish quitters mentality. We B word incessantly in this region about lost jobs and businesses and high taxes yet everyone has their blind spot. I'm a season ticket holder, they're welcome to pack up and leave, I'll be sad. But in a city with so many problems, perpetuated bad governance and pro-corporate interests solves none, only exacerbates them.

Let Pegula play the "I'll move the team card" while trying to own his beloved Sabres in the same town! Force his hand. Something about "drilling another well" seems to suggest he can cover the bill.

What spoils exactly?

The NFL is a big sham.

Well then count me as delusional. Politicians waste our money regardless, so I'd prefer they waste it on entertainment that I enjoy ( along with thousands of others).

It looks quite impressive. Can't wait to check it out this fall!!

I hope you make it here. Let me know if you come to town. I promise to be at least slightly more sober than I was in New Orleans! (Hey, it's New Orleans!)

I totally agree with the TS, being blackmailed by billionaires is ridiculous. It is just another form of corporate welfare and I don't think it actually benefits the community in terms of actual dollars. That being said I live half an hour away but in Canada...so I am glad so many posters have no problem funding a new stadium.

These same threads pop up all the time. If you asked many people they would prefer that every tax dollar be spread around back to all the people that paid, and did not pay, them. The problem with that is that you wouldn't get anything back larger than a monthly allowance. As someone else said...no parks, museums, roads, etc.

Should the United States not have built the Washington Monument? An NFL Stadium is far more than a playground for billionaires. And being an NFL City gets Buffalo far more national (and international) exposure than Des Moines Iowa will ever get. There is indeed a soft marketing value to being home to a major league sports franchise.