Tim Graham:Whaley wasted everyone's time.

Whaley was 2013.

Whaley had 3 drafts and got 1 star. Nix had three drafts and got 3. Whaley had 3 drafts and got 2 solid starters who will finish out his first contract with us. Nix had 3 drafts and got 3 solid starters who played 4 years here, one of which got a second contract with the Bills.

Yes, that''s clearly better. Drafting is judged by the quality of player and the length they played with the Bills.

thats cool u can see the future on bills players from the last couple years, and who are these solid starters for nix , bradham and searcy both started 1 year then left

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, so what, who cares that we drafted "stars." This team has NOT/NOT fielded a playoff worthy team since 1999; a total failed organization. It remains a failed organization until it does; for those of you who set the bar low my sympathies.

Back in the era of OJ and rushing titles, one of the Dolphins Defensive starters stated that it was great OJ was gaining rushing titles and publicity as a great runner, but In January, the Bills would be watching the playoffs on television!

The sad part is the myriad of idiots around here who agreed with Whaley and equally did not understand from the jump that EJ was worthless garbage and always would be.

Hard to know which is more telling: that you call people idiots while yelling "I told you so" about EJ, referring to another human as "worthless garbage" because he couldn't excel at a professional sport, or that you somehow find it useful to not only point all of this this out, but simultaneously find it just so sad to watch.

What, oh what, would these insignificant people do without your expansive knowledge and empathy?

That was obvious P.R. language. They were doing a complete rebuild. Of course they were going to suck and Nix knew it. But you can't say that.

That's why they lost more the first two - three years under Nix. That's what happens when you rebuild. The strongest lineup this team has fielded in recent years was pretty much the one operating with mostly Nix guys.

The reason Nix's legacy is now tarnished is that though he drafted pretty well and put together a good group of players on defense and a few on offense, he didn't bring in a QB and he did bring in his own replacement, a guy who turned out not to be able to do the job. That's where Nix fell down and hurt his own reputation. He brought in Whaley. It's what his reputation was always likely to rest on.

I disagree that Nix thought it was a full rebuild as the team had a bunch of talent on both sides of the ball. As I attempted to point out in my earlier that both Nix and Whaley had no clue on how to build a proper offensive line. Look back to that 2010 roster to see the Bills had RB's Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB and Stevie Johnson, Lee Evans at wide-out.

Beast mode used to make his yards in Buffalo with 3 defenders hanging on to him and Freddy was the better back because he was more elusive. What did Nix do with a former #1 pick at RB but trade him away to Seattle for a 4th and a 5th.

The one area that was weakest was the offensive line at tackle and had Nix bolstered that area properly in the off season the team would have undoubtedly won more games. Ultimately Nix eventually band aided the line by bringing in free agent scrubs Urbik and Pears who were both off the street pick ups during the season. The team kept those band aid players for years while not realizing what proper talent at OG like Richie Incognito would do for the team.

The defense wasn't so bad in talent either with Kyle Williams, Poz, McKelvin, Whitner and Byrd. The Bills had the #3 defense in yards against the pass but were 32nd against the run. The team was basically lacking more quality talent on both lines. Which is the basic area of foundation in building a decent scheme for either side of the ball.

Like I said that Fitz and Edwards were running for their lives for the first 8 games and it wasn't until Urbik and Pears came in that the line got a bit more stable. Yes the team went 4-12 that year and lost their first 8 games. However, they also lost 3 games in OT to the 12-4 Ravens, the 10-6 Chiefs, the 12-4 Steelers.

It's my contention that had Buddy Nix obtained better talent on both lines that 2010 off season the team would have fared far better then the end result.

In my view, Nix's legacy revolves around his thinking that any 6 ft plus, 300 lb plus player can play OG on the offensive line and it lead to his own undoing. BTW, Nix was on retainer as a consultant to the Bills long after he retired as GM and might be the reason as to why Whaley was also misguided in his idea on how to build a line. Anyone else recall what Erik Pears looked like at RG?

What GM with a normal brain drafts a rookie QB with a #1 pick and then fails to build a decent line to protect him.

Edited by thewildrabbit

Hard to know which is more telling: that you call people idiots while yelling "I told you so" about EJ, referring to another human as "worthless garbage" because he couldn't excel at a professional sport, or that you somehow find it useful to not only point all of this this out, but simultaneously find it just so sad to watch.

What, oh what, would these insignificant people do without your expansive knowledge and empathy?

I know people ASW EJ; he did not succeed at QB in the NFL but he is in fact a class act and wonderful human being! My best to him in the future and BTW, good post!

Nix's legacy is the same as every other Bills' GM since Polian: failed to find a franchise QB.

To say that his tenure is defined by his choices at offensive guard is lunacy of the highest order :lol:

Nix and Whaley were scouts that were handed titles. They didn't build a successful organization because, as Whaley admitted, they got caught up in the minutiae and had no strategy on how to take down Bill Belichick. It was obvious at the time from the pendulum swinging with coaching staffs and systems. The situation in Buffalo is absurdly self-evident. Anyone that wants to be successful in Buffalo must have a plan to take down the Patriot dynasty. Even Rex Ryan, who indisputably had his faults, understood that and said it both here and when he went to the Jets.

Nix and Whaley were scouts that were handed titles. They didn't build a successful organization because, as Whaley admitted, they got caught up in the minutiae and had no strategy on how to take down Bill Belichick. It was obvious at the time from the pendulum swinging with coaching staffs and systems. The situation in Buffalo is absurdly self-evident. Anyone that wants to be successful in Buffalo must have a plan to take down the Patriot dynasty. Even Rex Ryan, who indisputably had his faults, understood that and said it both here and when he went to the Jets.

I don't disagree with any of that Sis.

I also don't see how items 1-4 on the priority list are anything other than "get a franchise QB".

Building a stout D and run game is nice, but without that most critical piece, Brady and Belichick will still have the upper hand 9 times out of 10 (of course, even with a franchise QB, they probably have the upper hand 7/10 times).

:sick:

Directly and indirectly you are making the point that the organization had no discernible strategy in how to build a franchise. Whether BB was a nemesis to be challenged or not the organization had no underlying theme or philosophy. Individual personnel decisions were simply individual decisions with no thought given to the whole.

Nix and Whaley both had an inexplicable casual attitude toward the qb position. The one position that could most quickly elevate a team was a secondary consideration. Nix stated publicly stated that he needed to build up the roster before he would focus on that position made no sense as demonstrated by him bypassing credible prospects when they were available. Shortly after Whaley was dismissed he acknowledged in one of his first public comments that if he had to do it over again he would place more emphasis on acquiring a franchise qb. This odd reluctance reached the point of nonfeasance/malfeasance. It makes no bloody sense!

Where I slightly disagree with your take is that I don't think that BB should be the focal point. Even if the Pats were not a force to be reckoned with the Bills needed to be smartly and wisely run. A second-rate organization is going to be a second-rate organization regardless which opposing team is going be the hurdle that needs to be jumped over.

With respect to the Rex hiring that in of itself is a testament to the dysfunction that prevailed within the organization. It was an owner mistake that he quickly realized and corrected after a relatively short period of time. Hopefully, that interlude of chaos is a thing of the past and a period of stability and competence will be exhibited.

I'm confused. I read on this board that:

a) Ragland, Lawson and Washington are going to be awesome

b) Watkins is going to be the next Julio Jones.

c) Lesean McCoy is the best RB in the league

d) Whaley sucks.

How can a, b and c be true is d is true as well? Strange.

I love that I got you to shut down your masturbatory thread with ONE MENTION of what a d*ck you have been to concerned Bills fans on TSW.

Next year, I'll bring up your "DOOOOOOOOOOMED" history of fan shaming sooner. :lol: (Even funnier that you physically removed that part from the quote in your thread bail :lol: ).

17 years later and no playoffs......well I can see where a person might feel a little stupid if they had attacked Bills fans and media so unnecessarily for being concerned about perceived dysfunction. :flirt:

Tim Graham holds the organization accountable for their failure...........your writhing incessantly about it doesn't make the media or fans any more accountable for the losing.......that % remains at zero.

Keep calling them out though, Mr. Empathy. :lol:

I don't disagree with any of that Sis.

I also don't see how items 1-4 on the priority list are anything other than "get a franchise QB".

Building a stout D and run game is nice, but without that most critical piece, Brady and Belichick will still have the upper hand 9 times out of 10 (of course, even with a franchise QB, they probably have the upper hand 7/10 times).

:sick:

There's a big piece that I disagree with in there though and it's how in the hell does a GM create a strategy when they aren't making the call at head coach?

I think much more cavalier than his approach at qb (where he brought in EJ, cardale, Tyrod, and I think wanted to take a swing this year too was his acceptance of not actually being in charge of the show. Once you pull picking the head coach (and by proxy schemes and philosophies of the organization) then he's not supposed to be a strategist but just a glorified scout that is stocking the shelves in someone else's pantry.

I've always been very curious how that shook out and if it was something Whaley was good with or was fighting or....

There's a big piece that I disagree with in there though and it's how in the hell does a GM create a strategy when they aren't making the call at head coach?

I think much more cavalier than his approach at qb (where he brought in EJ, cardale, Tyrod, and I think wanted to take a swing this year too was his acceptance of not actually being in charge of the show. Once you pull picking the head coach (and by proxy schemes and philosophies of the organization) then he's not supposed to be a strategist but just a glorified scout that is stocking the shelves in someone else's pantry.

I've always been very curious how that shook out and if it was something Whaley was good with or was fighting or....

I agree with you that as a GM he was saddled with tremendous obstacles not of his own making because he didn't select the HC. It was widely reported that he wanted to select a qb in the first round this year but didn't have the authority to do so because the owner's choice of a HC included the role of de facto GM for him. If he would have acted sooner on the qb imperative when he did have the authority things maybe would have been different for him. If he would have selected Carr or maybe even Prescott whom he favored over Cardale in an earlier he might still be working from his GM perch in western NY. While it doesn't seem that Whaley made the hire for Marrone or Rex he was still in a position to make qb decisions during their tenures. That's on him. In the end he sabotaged himself by not being resolute and acting on the qb issue.

Nix and Whaley both had an inexplicable casual attitude toward the qb position. The one position that could most quickly elevate a team was a secondary consideration. Nix stated publicly stated that he needed to build up the roster before he would focus on that position made no sense as demonstrated by him bypassing credible prospects when they were available. Shortly after Whaley was dismissed he acknowledged in one of his first public comments that if he had to do it over again he would place more emphasis on acquiring a franchise qb. This odd reluctance reached the point of nonfeasance/malfeasance. It makes no bloody sense!

What a lot of fans forget is that when the Bills hired Chan Gailey he had stated to both Nix and owner Ralph Wilson (in what helped him land the job in Buffalo) was that he didn't need star players to win games. Wilson loved that statement!

"Last point: I can guarantee you one of the things that the Bills loved was Gailey's attitude about how you can win without stars in the NFL."

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/01/19/mailbag-0

Basically Gailey had told the Bills FO that he could win games with the current QB's on the roster. That 2010 off season the Bills had Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Brohm and Trent Edwards in the mix for a starting QB job and Gailey stated that they were all about equal. Then after camp Gailey was convinced he could win games with Trent Edwards as his starting QB even after Bills fans at training camp told him differently. Gailey was adamant about defending Edwards all the way up until he cut him after that regular season week two game against the Packers.

For the 2011 season Gailey said he could win with Fitz at QB! "I am extremely confident in Ryan Fitzpatrick," said Gailey. "We can win a bunch of football games (with him)."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/02/bills-chan-gailey-i-am-extremely-confident-in-ryan-fitzpatrick/1?csp=34sports#.WSseV-vyuUl

So, in regards to Nix and the QB situation the GM was only following what his head coach had told him he could win with. As for Whaley and the changing of the HC from Gailey to Marrone in 2013 when Nix stepped down after the draft. From What I recall Whaley went and personally scouted the prospective QB prospects that year and came away that EJ was his man. In his years as GM it looked to me like Whaley never wanted to give up on EJ as his starter even when Marrone and Rex Ryan didn't want him.

Bottom line is that this franchise hasn't seen 10 wins since 1999 and they can only lose twice to the Patriots every year. What happened with the other 14 games every year in all that time? Anyway, I'm just happy that it looks like the Bills might finally be moving out of that mediocrity zone. Can't wait to see how this team looks this year.

Whaley sucked but he gets too much blame for quarterback and not enough blame for everything else.

Manuel had a promising rookie season. He just shouldn't have traded up for Watkins the following spring. And he should have drafted another one in each draft to compete. I wasn't a fan of the Orton signing even in hindsight considering it accomplished nothing except get us 9 meaningless wins that hurt our draft position and destroyed any hope that Manuel was going to develop. The Taylor pickup was good.

My biggest knock on Whaley re: QB was not drafting enough of them and choosing Adolphus Washington over Dak Prescott.

good post all around . But the bolded is when the Bills went off the rails. And the dysfunction truly reared its ugly head

I love that I got you to shut down your masturbatory thread with ONE MENTION of what a d*ck you have been to concerned Bills fans on TSW.

Next year, I'll bring up your "DOOOOOOOOOOMED" history of fan shaming sooner. :lol: (Even funnier that you physically removed that part from the quote in your thread bail :lol: ).

17 years later and no playoffs......well I can see where a person might feel a little stupid if they had attacked Bills fans and media so unnecessarily for being concerned about perceived dysfunction. :flirt:

Tim Graham holds the organization accountable for their failure...........your writhing incessantly about it doesn't make the media or fans any more accountable for the losing.......that % remains at zero.

Keep calling them out though, Mr. Empathy. :lol:

The contest deadline was midnight last night, and if you were even remotely as intelligent as you pretend to be about history, you'd remember I always lock the contest thread after the deadline has passed so people can't change their picks as the season gets closer.

Unfortunately, you're so upset that I mock Timmah! Graham that you can't even think straight. But let's be honest; no one who defends Timmah!! Graham to this extent will ever be mistaken for someone who can think for themselves, anyway.

good post all around . But the bolded is when the Bills went off the rails. And the dysfunction truly reared its ugly head

EJ was never going to develop more than what he is-a not so good NFL QB.

What a lot of fans forget is that when the Bills hired Chan Gailey he had stated to both Nix and owner Ralph Wilson (in what helped him land the job in Buffalo) was that he didn't need star players to win games. Wilson loved that statement!

"Last point: I can guarantee you one of the things that the Bills loved was Gailey's attitude about how you can win without stars in the NFL."

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/01/19/mailbag-0

Basically Gailey had told the Bills FO that he could win games with the current QB's on the roster. That 2010 off season the Bills had Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Brohm and Trent Edwards in the mix for a starting QB job and Gailey stated that they were all about equal. Then after camp Gailey was convinced he could win games with Trent Edwards as his starting QB even after Bills fans at training camp told him differently. Gailey was adamant about defending Edwards all the way up until he cut him after that regular season week two game against the Packers.

For the 2011 season Gailey said he could win with Fitz at QB! "I am extremely confident in Ryan Fitzpatrick," said Gailey. "We can win a bunch of football games (with him)."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/02/bills-chan-gailey-i-am-extremely-confident-in-ryan-fitzpatrick/1?csp=34sports#.WSseV-vyuUl

So, in regards to Nix and the QB situation the GM was only following what his head coach had told him he could win with. As for Whaley and the changing of the HC from Gailey to Marrone in 2013 when Nix stepped down after the draft. From What I recall Whaley went and personally scouted the prospective QB prospects that year and came away that EJ was his man. In his years as GM it looked to me like Whaley never wanted to give up on EJ as his starter even when Marrone and Rex Ryan didn't want him.

Bottom line is that this franchise hasn't seen 10 wins since 1999 and they can only lose twice to the Patriots every year. What happened with the other 14 games every year in all that time? Anyway, I'm just happy that it looks like the Bills might finally be moving out of that mediocrity zone. Can't wait to see how this team looks this year.

You well cataloged the history on this issue. Where I have a slightly different take on your history is that it really doesn't matter what Chan's outdated thoughts were on the qb position because ultimately it is the GM who is the primary driver in assembling a roster. The owner's views on football were clearly not the wisest but I don't think even he would be against drafting a legitimate franchise qb or securing one in a trade or from the market.

Nix and Whaley can conjure up whatever excuses they want. It doesn't matter. The bottom line is with respect to the qb position they didn't get the job done. You are right that Whaley was just as influential as Nix in selecting EJ and then standing by him too long. The coach who is often vilified, Marrone, made a quick assessment on the FSU qb. He loudly and belligerently expressed that he wasn't willing to tolerate EJ being his starting qb. On this critical issue the insufferable HC was absolutely right. There were a number of reasons why Whaley's tenure was average at best. One of the major reasons is his misjudgment on EJ. That's on him.

As I stated in a prior post after his departure Whaley stated in an interview that if he had to do things all over he would have been more aggressive in finding a franchise qb. Sadly for him the light went on too late.

I agree with you that as a GM he was saddled with tremendous obstacles not of his own making because he didn't select the HC. It was widely reported that he wanted to select a qb in the first round this year but didn't have the authority to do so because the owner's choice of a HC included the role of de facto GM for him. If he would have acted sooner on the qb imperative when he did have the authority things maybe would have been different for him. If he would have selected Carr or maybe even Prescott whom he favored over Cardale in an earlier he might still be working from his GM perch in western NY. While it doesn't seem that Whaley made the hire for Marrone or Rex he was still in a position to make qb decisions during their tenures. That's on him. In the end he sabotaged himself by not being resolute and acting on the qb issue.

But.... do you really think that Dak over cardale changes anything? Even in hindsight odds are Dak doesn't play last year... and if he does he'd be the rookie thrown into the always great situation of two coordinators in the first month of his career. That pick wouldn't be a job saver at that point

Carr is a different discussion. But even that is taking a qb just one year after EJ who had an ok rookie year despite all kinds of bad circumstances. Then dropping Carr into the same bad circumstance (and that's ignoring the question of where do we actually pick him)

I think the coach issue is much more central to the discussion of what really torpedoed Whaley if we aren't using hindsight to project other teams success with day two qbs as missed opportunities for our less than ideal situation for young qbs

The contest deadline was midnight last night, and if you were even remotely as intelligent as you pretend to be about history, you'd remember I always lock the contest thread after the deadline has passed so people can't change their picks as the season gets closer.

Unfortunately, you're so upset that I mock Timmah! Graham that you can't even think straight. But let's be honest; no one who defends Timmah!! Graham to this extent will ever be mistaken for someone who can think for themselves, anyway.

I haven't bothered responding to your comments about Graham, because people dislike who they want. It's all fair enough. Not liking Graham is reasonable. But he's a terrific writer and a smart guy.

The guy's story on that famous Vietnam war photo was nominated for a Pulitzer. He won a "Barney" award from the Boxing Writers of America for first place for best story of the year. He's been published in the "Best American Sports Writing" anthology series, no small achievement. He's repeatedly won writing awards from the Professional Hockey Writers' Association, including at least two first-place awards.

His Bjorn Nittmo pieces have been fascinating but heart-breaking and have been mentioned in SI as some of the best journalism of 2016:

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/01/03/best-journalism-writing-reporting-2016

It's still reasonable to disagree with him, to not like him. But Graham's a highly respected journalist.

As for your contest, it looked interesting to me. I live in Japan, so I wouldn't have been able to collect my prize, so I didn't enter. Have you ever had to pay off? I'd guess not, yeah? Picking all sixteen games correctly is seriously difficult.

It's always looked like a really good idea to me.

Things have improved greatly from the HC, GM, scouting dept in my view. Now I just hope the owner gives these new men time to clear out the crap and build a solid contender.

I think it's way too early to say they've improved. Not too early to guess, though. Maybe they have.
Let's hope so.

EJ was never going to develop more than what he is-a not so good NFL QB.

Well, that's one guess.

Edited by Thurman#1

Watch the Playoffs, then watch the Bills.

Nix and Whaley had no clue.

Awesome post - my contention is the Bills have not been or are not now anywhere close to being a viable playoff contender!

But.... do you really think that Dak over cardale changes anything? Even in hindsight odds are Dak doesn't play last year... and if he does he'd be the rookie thrown into the always great situation of two coordinators in the first month of his career. That pick wouldn't be a job saver at that point

Carr is a different discussion. But even that is taking a qb just one year after EJ who had an ok rookie year despite all kinds of bad circumstances. Then dropping Carr into the same bad circumstance (and that's ignoring the question of where do we actually pick him)

I think the coach issue is much more central to the discussion of what really torpedoed Whaley if we aren't using hindsight to project other teams success with day two qbs as missed opportunities for our less than ideal situation for young qbs

With respect to the highlighted segment the issue isn't whether taking Dak over Cardale was the specific transaction that collapsed his regime. It represented how he operated and what his priorities were. During his stint he didn't address the qb position to the extent that he needed to not only at that point but all during his tenure. In an interview shortly after being fired he acknowledged that if he had to do it over he would have made it more of a priority to secure a franchise qb.

You point out that Carr is a different discussion. Hold on there---it is part of the same continuum of the qb issue. The Bills could have traded down and selected him and got additional picks. It was another missed opportunity for a team with a desperate need for a high end qb prospect. You then point out that we already had EJ on the roster so it wasn't a good time and situation to add another qb. That's the point I and others have made. It was Whaley who scouted him and ranked him. It was Whaley who mistakenly invested in him. Those were his gross misjudgments and miscalculations.

You and I are in accord regarding the Rex hire and how it hindered the GM. No one is dismissing that obvious point. But not blaming the GM for something he was responsible for with respect to the qb issue because he wasn't blameworthy for the coaching hires doesn't absolve him from the areas in which he did have control of.

With respect to the highlighted segment the issue isn't whether taking Dak over Cardale was the specific transaction that collapsed his regime. It represented how he operated and what his priorities were. During his stint he didn't address the qb position to the extent that he needed to not only at that point but all during his tenure. In an interview shortly after being fired he acknowledged that if he had to do it over he would have made it more of a priority to secure a franchise qb.

You point out that Carr is a different discussion. Hold on there---it is part of the same continuum of the qb issue. The Bills could have traded down and selected him and got additional picks. It was another missed opportunity for a team with a desperate need for a high end qb prospect. You then point out that we already had EJ on the roster so it wasn't a good time and situation to add another qb. That's the point I and others have made. It was Whaley who scouted him and ranked him. It was Whaley who mistakenly invested in him. Those were his gross misjudgments and miscalculations.

You and I are in accord regarding the Rex hire and how it hindered the GM. No one is dismissing that obvious point. But not blaming the GM for something he was responsible for with respect to the qb issue because he wasn't blameworthy for the coaching hires doesn't absolve him from the areas in which he did have control of.

You can't really have it both ways though can you?

Whaley didn't really do enough to invest in the QB? You have to keep trying? But when he tried with EJ in a down QB year it was a mistake. So you have to keep trying but you can't keep trying? IMO you can say he made one of the two mistakes but you can't say he did both.

Enough with the EJ arguments for goodness sake.

He's long gone and far from the reasons the Bills have been in their drought.

We have had 17 not so great seasons, 13 w/o EJ to blame for losing.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You can't really have it both ways though can you?

Whaley didn't really do enough to invest in the QB? You have to keep trying? But when he tried with EJ in a down QB year it was a mistake. So you have to keep trying but you can't keep trying? IMO you can say he made one of the two mistakes but you can't say he did both.

Your logic escapes me. He selected a qb that didn't come close to being a good enough prospect. Drafting him in the first round was a mistake. You can argue fairly that it was Nix who took him in the first round but it was Whaley who graded EJ. Just because you draft a qb that doesn't mean that you then stop trying to get better at the position.

Marrone was the first HC who EJ played for. The cantankerous HC immediately concluded that EJ wasn't good enough. The GM continued to invest in him as a player while the coaches went in another direction. Your argument that because EJ was on the roster that the GM shouldn't/couldn't continue to act to upgrade the position makes little sense to me. It certainly was a factor in his dismissal.

I don't follow your contest because it's boring........if YOU were as smart as you think you are you'd notice I've never entered it. Probably the second time I've opened the thread in all these years......the first time it was clear it was a yawn.

It just ended up back at the top of the page, so I clicked on it, and there you were, using your "charitable" platform to further your ridiculous crusade at a media member.

So I reminded people of your shameful past........for context.......ya' know. :beer:

I haven't bothered responding to your comments about Graham, because people dislike who they want. It's all fair enough. Not liking Graham is reasonable. But he's a terrific writer and a smart guy.

The guy's story on that famous Vietnam war photo was nominated for a Pulitzer. He won a "Barney" award from the Boxing Writers of America for first place for best story of the year. He's been published in the "Best American Sports Writing" anthology series, no small achievement. He's repeatedly won writing awards from the Professional Hockey Writers' Association, including at least two first-place awards.

His Bjorn Nittmo pieces have been fascinating but heart-breaking and have been mentioned in SI as some of the best journalism of 2016:

It's still reasonable to disagree with him, to not like him. But Graham's a highly respected journalist.

Disagree and dislike, but when your biggest complaint within the Bills Universe is Tim Graham there is obviously something more at play.

LA was one of a group that attacked Graham when he was posting here......and LA was dead wrong for doing so.

Chasing Graham off denied the forum of potential input from him..........so LA hurt the forum.

Rather than own up to his mistake he has made it a vendetta to run the guy down here..............even as Graham earns accolades for his work, making it even more clear it was our loss.

That's the deal with LA.......he has done things to hurt the forum and rather than own up to them he pretends it's not so.

That's why I called him out for his fan shaming and attempts to shout down discussion on the developing issues within the organization at the beginning of the drought.

Guy is full of bad takes......and that's a problem when people displace their frustration with the organization by dumping on the fanbase and/or media.

I think it's way too early to say they've improved. Not too early to guess, though. Maybe they have.

Let's hope so.

The Bills scouting department has been long overdue for an overhaul and from what I've seen from them over the years this is a great move.

While new Bills GM Brandon Beane is also a rookie GM like the last four. The new Bills coaching staff has a great amount of NFL experience to help him along. In my view none of those past GM's were not even qualified to be an NFL GM and the last two were not allowed complete control while being helped along by a previous non qualified GM.

Just looking at the latest draft, free agency gives me the impression that things are changing for the better as the team now has an extra 2018 1st round pick and filled a bunch of needs at the same time.

I look at the team and have to believe that things have changed greatly for the better. No more Rex, Whaley, crappy scouts or Brandon involved in football operations.

Thanks for a thoughtful response. My problem with Graham is much less about his writing and much more about him as a human.

He's a fine writer, and by that I mean he is able to take stories and make them readable. As the internet has proven, it's not near as difficult as sports journalists would have you believe. I would also argue -- and this is completely a subjective take -- that awards like Pulitzer, Nobel, AP, Academy Awards, Emmy, Tony, etc. carry little water but for two groups: the people who give them, and the people who receive them. They're most often different sides of the same coin.

But look past his articles and at the person who wrote them and it is much less celebratory. You realize he doesn't care about what he does so much as he cares what people think of him for doing it. Now add in his lazy penchant for prodding the low-hanging fruit that is a saddened Bills fan. Note his sarcastic, condescending game-time comments. Read how he responds to anyone who disagrees with him, followed by his fanboys joining in for a chorus of "If only everyone were as smart us Tim and his followers."

Whish is why I refer to him as the Donald Trump of sports writers.

Edited by LABillzFan

Thanks for a thoughtful response. My problem with Graham is much less about his writing and much more about him as a human.

He's a fine writer, and by that I mean he is able to take stories and make them readable. As the internet has proven, it's not near as difficult as sports journalists would have you believe. I would also argue -- and this is completely a subjective take -- that awards like Pulitzer, Nobel, AP, Academy Awards, Emmy, Tony, etc. carry little water but for two groups: the people who give them, and the people who receive them. They're most often different sides of the same coin.

But look past his articles and at the person who wrote them and it is much less celebratory. You realize he doesn't care about what he does so much as he cares what people think of him for doing it. Now add in his lazy penchant for prodding the low-hanging fruit that is a saddened Bills fan. Note his sarcastic, condescending game-time comments. Read how he responds to anyone who disagrees with him, followed by his fanboys joining in for a chorus of "If only everyone were as smart us Tim and his followers."

He said without a hint of irony.

Is your own sarcastic, condescending tone a satire of the highest level? Or, more likely, you don't find it nearly as intolerable, well, because you're the one doing it and clearly it's different. And it's not like you have Twitter followers.

Behold, the words of man bashing others for being sarcastic and condescending. Because the moral high ground never tasted so good when you're playing in the mud with the rest of them.

"Gather 'round and hear me out. Either you are closing your eyes to a situation you do not wish to acknowledge, or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated by the presence of a football team in your community.

You say you're embarrassed by a team that can never make the playoffs? You say you're embarrassed by upper management, middle management, and lower management? You say you can see Pegula buckling his knickerbockers below the knee?

You say you're smarter than all of them? Smarter than the Owner? Smarter than the Coach? Smarter than the GM?

Brothers. Sisters. I hear your plea. The team would be perfect if only you could call the shots! This team can't even get through the National Anthem without you insisting you can sing it better! In fact, you are sure you could make this team better simply by accident, because the odds say a brilliant person like yourself could field a winner, if for no other reason than because you're nowhere near the level of dumbassery that inhabits OBD.

Well, good news is coming your way, and it starts right here, right now, on this very day and for a limited time with exclusive access to the entitled few who are brave enough, smart enough, and dare I say BRILLIANT enough to prove your genius, once and for all, in front of friends, peers and egocentric thin-skinned fist-humping sports writers."

Edited by jmc12290

Directly and indirectly you are making the point that the organization had no discernible strategy in how to build a franchise. Whether BB was a nemesis to be challenged or not the organization had no underlying theme or philosophy. Individual personnel decisions were simply individual decisions with no thought given to the whole.

Where I slightly disagree with your take is that I don't think that BB should be the focal point. Even if the Pats were not a force to be reckoned with the Bills needed to be smartly and wisely run. A second-rate organization is going to be a second-rate organization regardless which opposing team is going be the hurdle that needs to be jumped over.

With respect to the Rex hiring that in of itself is a testament to the dysfunction that prevailed within the organization. It was an owner mistake that he quickly realized and corrected after a relatively short period of time. Hopefully, that interlude of chaos is a thing of the past and a period of stability and competence will be exhibited.

The point about Belichick is that the goal and thus the focus should be success on the scoreboard. Having large ROI for the owner, the really nice flat-screen in every office, or the best free office lattes are nice, but not the mission. Belichick focuses on winning football games and those other things stem directly out of that, not the other way around.

And success is absolutely crucial, and it has to come quickly. We've seen the tiny brightly painted car circle the ring and the clowns pour out often enough to understand distractions. If the brain-trust can't plan and can't deliver wins, it's noise and smoke that amounts to historic ineptitude.

I think you just don't like the way he made you look......and possibly feel......when he left here.

Lotta' people here were disappointed with your unnecessary bullsh*t behavior that lead to Graham deciding to stop voluntarily contributing to a forum which does nothing for him professionally.

Basically chased Lori off in the process too.

Congratulations on that.......if it hasn't been said before.

Trolling is your thing but you don't want to be perceived as a troll.