Tim Graham:Whaley wasted everyone's time.

Ultimately what did in Whaley was the drafting of EJ in the first round. When you make such an investment in a qb you are to an extent committed to the player. If EJ would have been a third or fourth round selection then the finances and dynamic of the situation would dramatically have changed. There were better qb prospects after the EJ draft, such as Carr, who would have been better qb prospects but having him on the roster made it more difficult to commit another high pick for the position. That was a miscalculation that haunted Whaley and was a major factor in him losing his job.

What's disappointing is that finally Whaley came to the realizaton that he had to take a qb in the first round in this year's draft. It was too late because he was stripped of his authority to act. It's not surprising that in an interview after his firing he acknowledged that if he had it to do over he would have been more aggressive in seeking a more credible franchise qb.

What did Whaley in was not being able to hire the guy he wanted to be HC in 2015. Instead the team President convinced our owners to hire Rex, the rest is history.

Thankfully our teams President isn't allowed to be anywhere near any decisions on coaches, front office, roster, etc anymore.... cough

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did Whaley in was not being able to hire the guy he wanted to be HC in 2015. Instead the team President convinced our owners to hire Rex, the rest is history.

Thankfully our teams President isn't allowed to be anywhere near any decisions on coaches, front office, roster, etc anymore.... cough

Even worse than that- they brainwashed Doug into believing that Rex was his soulmate, and that they were so in tune that they could finish each other's sentences. That's just plain mean.

Doug Whaley's approach to drafting QBs was all wrong imho...i call it the cave man mentality...with both EJ and Cardale, we drafted purely on physical size and strength...accuracy and football IQ didn't seem to be important to Whaley...and to me, those are more important than physical size or how someone's smile might light up a room when they walk in...he just seemed to focus on the wrong things when judging a QB.

This part I can agree with. It wasn't just Doug; at one point there seemed to be a "wave" in the NFL wanting tall, strong, mobile QB who could potentially run a spread offense. This is where you got all the scouting stuff that Blaine Gabbert "looks the way you want your QB to look". There was the philosophy "you can't coach size" and its cousin, "you can't coach speed".

IMHO it's fair to tag Doug Whaley that on his watch, we seem to have overemphasized physical attributes and under-emphasized actual football experience/track record playing from college.

Tim Graham couldn't get a column on 2BD

There is history there but no way for you to know. Suffice to say that TG was a contributor here, was called out for stuff and the resultant aftermath caused a highly respected poster to permanently leave TBD in a show of support. I still sorely miss said respected poster.

Even worse than that- they brainwashed Doug into believing that Rex was his soulmate, and that they were so in tune that they could finish each other's sentences. That's just plain mean.

They manchurian candidate brainwashed Doug. Edited by Bill_with_it

Tim Graham couldn't get a column on 2BD

IMO a click-baiter shouldn't talk about people wasting other people's time.

In fact, pretty much all the local sports media is a joke.

Edited by T-Bomb

Im not sold that Whaley understood that EJ wasnt the answer last year let alone 2014.

i always wonder how EJ would have done had he not gone out with the knee injury in that Browns game... he was going along pretty well until that moment.... guess we'll never know...

Ultimately what did in Whaley was the drafting of EJ in the first round. When you make such an investment in a qb you are to an extent committed to the player. If EJ would have been a third or fourth round selection then the finances and dynamic of the situation would dramatically have changed. There were better qb prospects after the EJ draft, such as Carr, who would have been better qb prospects but having him on the roster made it more difficult to commit another high pick for the position. That was a miscalculation that haunted Whaley and was a major factor in him losing his job.

What's disappointing is that finally Whaley came to the realizaton that he had to take a qb in the first round in this year's draft. It was too late because he was stripped of his authority to act. It's not surprising that in an interview after his firing he acknowledged that if he had it to do over he would have been more aggressive in seeking a more credible franchise qb.

That's another stupid way in which groupthink dominates the NFL. In every other position, if the guy you select isn't good enough, it's next man up.

I think that what did Whaley in was not being able to convince non-football savvy owners that Rex was was a bad hire. All the rumors that Whaley really wanted Jackson points to him not being a strong enough personality. Why are you the GM let the owner make that $25 million mistake?

That and the press conference disavowing any knowledge of why Rex was fired. Pegula mentioned in the subsequent interview that he and Doug had talked about Rex during the season. Doug giving the impression that he had no clue why Rex was fired causing TP to have to do an interview couldn't have helped.

In the same year that the Skins drafted Griffin they also drafted Cousins in the fourth round. He is their starter now. The person who didn't want to invest a lot of picks and future picks on Griffin was their coach, Shanahan. It was the owner who insisted on mortgaging the future on Griffin. Cousins was available for us in the third or fourth round. We did what we usually do and passed. Our saga continues.

Well, not in the fourth unless we traded up. And I really think Buddy wanted Cousins and rolled the dice that he would be there considering most of the teams picking before us had either already taken a qb that year or already had one. Maybe he could have had him rated higher to consider trading up or just taking him in the third, but he didn't.

Guys, it's over, done with. Idiotic statements like that make me lose respect for dinosaus at Bullcrap News. I don't need to read it. Nothing is a waste of time if you follow your team and enjoy their play. This team became relevant in NFL again during Whaley era. Now it's the Next Act. Let's move on ok?

Well, not in the fourth unless we traded up. And I really think Buddy wanted Cousins and rolled the dice that he would be there considering most of the teams picking before us had either already taken a qb that year or already had one. Maybe he could have had him rated higher to consider trading up or just taking him in the third, but he didn't.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Buddy move up in the third round to take Graham, the track receiver from North Carolina State? He could have selected either Wilson or Cousins with that pick. It's my view that when a team doesn't have a franchise qb it is better to draft for that position a round sooner rather than later.

It was reported that Whaley rated Prescott higher than Cardale. Wouldn't it have been smarter to draft the preferred qb in the third round instead of gambling to wait for another round to go by? It's not surprising that Whaley stated in an interview after his firing that if he had to do it over he would have been more aggressive in securing the qb position.

For a franchise that hasn't had an established franchise qb for almost a quarter century not aggressively addressing that issue makes little sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Buddy move up in the third round to take Graham, the track receiver from North Carolina State? He could have selected either Wilson or Cousins with that pick. It's my view that when a team doesn't have a franchise qb it is better to draft for that position a round sooner rather than later.

It was reported that Whaley rated Prescott higher than Cardale. Wouldn't it have been smarter to draft the preferred qb in the third round instead of gambling to wait for another round to go by? It's not surprising that Whaley stated in an interview after his firing that if he had to do it over he would have been more aggressive in securing the qb position.

For a franchise that hasn't had an established franchise qb for almost a quarter century not aggressively addressing that issue makes little sense.

And just when Whaley finally realizes the QB position is important they take away his power. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. The Bills are an extended Greek tragedy.

And just when Whaley finally realizes the QB position is important they take away his power. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. The Bills are an extended Greek tragedy.

Come on. He pushed EJ right till the end. "Whaley the martyr" is laughable. Your posting is ridiculous. For a guy that beats the drum for change, this defense of Whaley and QBs is comical.

When the light finally shines the curtains are pulled closed and darkness again envelops the room. :wallbash:

It would have been interesting to see if Whaley remained and worked with McDermott how that would have worked out? To a great degree it was the owner who set up Whaley to fail. If the owner would have allowed Whaley to hire his preferred candidate for HC, Hue Jackson, I think Whaley would still be on the job. Or if the owner would have hired Jim Schwartz to be the head coach after Marrone abruptly left this team would not have fallen off the tracks. The Rex hire set this franchise back.

When the light finally shines the curtains are pulled closed and darkness again envelops the room. :wallbash:

It would have been interesting to see if Whaley remained and worked with McDermott how that would have worked out? To a great degree it was the owner who set up Whaley to fail. If the owner would have allowed Whaley to hire his preferred candidate for HC, Hue Jackson, I think Whaley would still be on the job. Or if the owner would have hired Jim Schwartz to be the head coach after Marrone abruptly left this team would not have fallen off the tracks. The Rex hire set this franchise back.

Well, Beane and McD aren't going to get 5 years to goof around. If they do not secure a credible QB prospect after passing on guys in 2017 they will be shown the door by 2019.

Come on. He pushed EJ right till the end. "Whaley the martyr" is laughable. Your posting is ridiculous. For a guy that beats the drum for change, this defense of Whaley and QBs is comical.

Whaley didn't push the EJ project to the end. He made a decision to get past EJ and TT and was ready to draft a qb in the first round. He just waited too long to come to that realization. And that was a fatal mistake of his own doing.

Well, Beane and McD aren't going to get 5 years to goof around. If they do not secure a credible QB prospect after passing on guys in 2017 they will be shown the door by 2019.

The current regime of Beane and McDermott will certainly get three seasons at a minimum.

I've said it in other postings that this is at least a three year project to get back into being a relevant team. I strongly disagree with those who believe that the Bills will be a playoff team this year. In my mind they are not close because this roster is simply too thin and lacks depth that a grinding season requires.

If the Bills draft a qb next year then that prospect is going to take at least another two to three years to get acclimated to the pro game. If the pressure gets too strong for a more immediate result then the free agent or trade market could also be an option to help this team become respectable.

I still strongly contend that the Bills made a big mistake not selecting either Watson or Mahomes in this year's draft. Avoiding an issue is not addressing an issue!

The current regime of Beane and McDermott will certainly get three seasons at a minimum.

I agree with your assessment.