Tim Graham:Whaley wasted everyone's time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Buddy move up in the third round to take Graham, the track receiver from North Carolina State? He could have selected either Wilson or Cousins with that pick. It's my view that when a team doesn't have a franchise qb it is better to draft for that position a round sooner rather than later.

It was reported that Whaley rated Prescott higher than Cardale. Wouldn't it have been smarter to draft the preferred qb in the third round instead of gambling to wait for another round to go by? It's not surprising that Whaley stated in an interview after his firing that if he had to do it over he would have been more aggressive in securing the qb position.

For a franchise that hasn't had an established franchise qb for almost a quarter century not aggressively addressing that issue makes little sense.

Sure, he gave up a 7th to secure a wr. Should have picked ty hilton, but that's another story.

Buddy said he would like to take a qb every year if possible. I think that has to be balanced against what the team needs are. Because just like ej, not every qb is going to work out. I really wish we can find a coach that will be here for a few years so we can build through the draft. Instead of burning picks replacing guys who don't fit with the new coach we can burn picks on a qb prospect.

I don't know if wilson or cousins comes in here and performs as well because of the volitility around our team. We'll probably be getting rid of Cardale because he's not a timing passer. While a lottery ticket, we did not give ourselves a chance to cash in on that ticket. A lot of the depth players will be replaced first with bodies then by draft picks. It's a treadmill to mediocrity.

I would rather do it the way KC has, get a team to the playoffs then start sinking high draft picks into finding a qb. For me it starts with the coach so I'm hopeful McDermott is the one and not some type anti-rex. Regardless, I would rather keep him until the roster turnover settles even if that means some empty seats in the stadium. Pegula’s going to pay either way.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, he gave up a 7th to secure a wr. Should have picked ty hilton, but that's another story.

Buddy said he would like to take a qb every year if possible. I think that has to be balanced against what the team needs are. Because just like ej, not every qb is going to work out. I really wish we can find a coach that will be here for a few years so we can build through the draft. Instead of burning picks replacing guys who don't fit with the new coach we can burn picks on a qb prospect.

I don't know if wilson or cousins comes in here and performs as well because of the volitility around our team. We'll probably be getting rid of Cardale because he's not a timing passer. While a lottery ticket, we did not give ourselves a chance to cash in on that ticket. A lot of the depth players will be replaced first with bodies then by draft picks. It's a treadmill to mediocrity.

I would rather do it the way KC has, get a team to the playoffs then start sinking high draft picks into finding a qb. For me it starts with the coach so I'm hopeful McDermott is the one and not some type anti-rex. Regardless, I would rather keep him until the roster turnover settles even if that means some empty seats in the stadium. Pegula’s going to pay either way.

KC did handle their situation quite well. They traded for Smith, who imo is very much underrated in discussions I have read on this board. Then they move WAY up to 10 at probably not such a high cost. One good thing about the trade is that we now have a team to root against. Could Smith hit the wall this year?

Btw, are you implying that Cardale Jones resembles a winning lottery ticket? I couldn't understand. :)

Nix was also the GM of worse teams which makes adding top talent easier.

Buddy Nix created his own steaming pile.

Let's not forget that the Bills were constantly at 7-9 under Jauron until his final season in 2009 which was 6-10 . Nix came in for the 2010 season and the team went 4-12 with an 8 game losing streak. Anyone else recall Nix's words that off season? You're not going to believe this, but we're close! Close alright, close to the worst in the league!

Look back at that 2010 draft and free agency period to see that both stunk under Nix. FA DE Dwan Edwards 4 years, 18 Mill only worked for two seasons. The offensive line was a complete joke since trading away all pro LT Peters and then attempting to replace him with guys like Demetress Bell under Nix. Not to mention the complete scrubs at RT like Cornell Green for 2 mill per that lasted 5 games. Others at RT include notable scrubs like Cordaro Howard, Mansfield Wrotto.

Needless to say that Bills QB Fitzpatrick was literally running for his life most of 2010. The Bills drafted a "waterbug" in CJ Spiller when the real need was at tackle for both sides.

The Bills paid huge money to Mario Williams in 2012 because the scouting dept failed to find a decent pass rusher in the draft since Schobel retired at the end of 2009. However, they did make lame attempts with Aaron Maybin, Alex Carrington. The Bills also paid big money to McCoy, Clay because they failed to find that elite talent in the draft.

Both Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley were a colossal waste of time. Look at the holes in the roster for the 2017 season pre draft to see this team wasn't even close to competing with the Patriots.

Things have improved greatly from the HC, GM, scouting dept in my view. Now I just hope the owner gives these new men time to clear out the crap and build a solid contender.

Buddy Nix created his own steaming pile.

Let's not forget that the Bills were constantly at 7-9 under Jauron until his final season in 2009 which was 6-10 . Nix came in for the 2010 season and the team went 4-12 with an 8 game losing streak. Anyone else recall Nix's words that off season? You're not going to believe this, but we're close! Close alright, close to the worst in the league!

Look back at that 2010 draft and free agency period to see that both stunk under Nix. FA DE Dwan Edwards 4 years, 18 Mill only worked for two seasons. The offensive line was a complete joke since trading away all pro LT Peters and then attempting to replace him with guys like Demetress Bell under Nix. Not to mention the complete scrubs at RT like Cornell Green for 2 mill per that lasted 5 games. Others at RT include notable scrubs like Cordaro Howard, Mansfield Wrotto.

Needless to say that Bills QB Fitzpatrick was literally running for his life most of 2010. The Bills drafted a "waterbug" in CJ Spiller when the real need was at tackle for both sides.

The Bills paid huge money to Mario Williams in 2012 because the scouting dept failed to find a decent pass rusher in the draft since Schobel retired at the end of 2009. However, they did make lame attempts with Aaron Maybin, Alex Carrington. The Bills also paid big money to McCoy, Clay because they failed to find that elite talent in the draft.

Both Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley were a colossal waste of time. Look at the holes in the roster for the 2017 season pre draft to see this team wasn't even close to competing with the Patriots.

Things have improved greatly from the HC, GM, scouting dept in my view. Now I just hope the owner gives these new men time to clear out the crap and build a solid contender.

Nix was terrible. Whaley was below average.

KC did handle their situation quite well. They traded for Smith, who imo is very much underrated in discussions I have read on this board. Then they move WAY up to 10 at probably not such a high cost. One good thing about the trade is that we now have a team to root against. Could Smith hit the wall this year?

Btw, are you implying that Cardale Jones resembles a winning lottery ticket? I couldn't understand. :)

Just a lottery ticket that will be thrown out before checking the numbers because of the change in coaches.

I don't know if Smith will hit a wall per se, maybe injuries get to him? I happen to think TT has a chance to get better and is a better qb than Smith anyway so the path to this model works for me. As a first step our team has to be strong enough to get to the playoffs with TT. That will mean, to me at least, that the drafting and depth are in place for a longer run. Then start burning higher picks on qb's to get over the top. The chances of getting a qb that needs to develop into a franchise qb will be much greater if we can have stability in the front office and the coaching staff.

Nix was terrible. Whaley was below average.

Nix added better players than Whaley. Nix drafted first and second rounders that made it to their second contracts with the Bills. Nix found guys in the later rounds who became key contributors. Nix drafted players who were so good, Whaley thought he couldn't afford them.

Edited by jmc12290

Nix added better players than Whaley. Nix drafted first and second rounders that made it to their second contracts with the Bills. Nix found guys in the later rounds who became key contributors. Nix drafted players who were so good, Whaley thought he couldn't afford them.

The 2010 offseason was one of the worst in Bills history. Extending, Kelsay, the Fitz, never matched the 7 win seasons under Jauron. He was terrible. The trade up for TJ Graham and passing on Wilson was another beauty.

The 2010 offseason was one of the worst in Bills history. Extending, Kelsay, the Fitz, never matched the 7 win seasons under Jauron. He was terrible. The trade up for TJ Graham and passing on Wilson was another beauty.

If we are using hindsight Whaley has passed on more surefire picks for others than nix has. Nix at least added quite a few blue chippers. Ill give Whaley the Darby signing which looks like it could be a nice pick not so much for the others.

If we are using hindsight Whaley has passed on more surefire picks for others than nix has. Nix at least added quite a few blue chippers. Ill give Whaley the Darby signing which looks like it could be a nice pick not so much for the others.

I'll never forget Nix saying that the Bills were close, and his rosters couldn't even match those 7-9 teams from before.

I'll never forget Nix saying that the Bills were close, and his rosters couldn't even match those 7-9 teams from before.

You are right he did say that. His teams were record wise terrible. But I feel comfortable very comfortable saying that, Wood, Levitre, Byrd, Dareus, Williams, Searcy, gilmore, glenn, woods, alonso, hopkins is better than any culmination of draft picks that Whaley chose. Not to mention Hughes and other guys that Nix is responsible for. Time tends to fade memories. Yes the teams record was terrible but the talent was there.

You are right he did say that. His teams were record wise terrible. But I feel comfortable very comfortable saying that, Wood, Levitre, Byrd, Dareus, Williams, Searcy, gilmore, glenn, woods, alonso, hopkins is better than any culmination of draft picks that Whaley chose. Not to mention Hughes and other guys that Nix is responsible for. Time tends to fade memories. Yes the teams record was terrible but the talent was there.

The 2013 offseason was Whaley's. Nix was phased out. Just as this offseason is McDermotts, not Whaleys. And you credit 2013 to Nix-then he gets EJ.

Good thing the 2011 and 2012 offseasons were much better.

Drafting-wise, we were much better off with Nix.

Edited by jmc12290

The 2013 offseason was Whaley's. Nix was phased out. Just as this offseason is McDermotts, not Whaleys. And you credit 2013 to Nix-then he gets EJ.

Yup i do credit nix with ej. He was the gm. I do believe hands down nix was a better drafter than whaley.

Good thing the 2011 and 2012 offseasons were much better.

Drafting-wise, we were much better off with Nix.

first of all its a little early to judge all of whaleys 3 drafts but have u actually seen nixs drafts, they are horrible.

2010 - spiller, troupe, carrington,

followed by a bunch of other

scrubs, easley the only one who

contributed but as a 4th round wr

also sucked

2011 - dareus from one the best top tens

ever, a williams failed as a cb but

was good at s, sheppard was

terrible, searcy is average but a

good 4th round pick, the rest all

nobodys

2012 - gilmore and glenn were hits,

followed by 6 terrible picks and

bradham being average

2013 - ej, yes he did draft ej. Woods and

alonso are maybe slightly above

average at best, the rest are not

any good.

So in 4 drafts with 8,9,9, & 9 picks he got 3 star players and 4-5 average players and u think that is good

Not sure where bill with it got wood byrd and levitre from as brandon was gm then

Edited by Pbomb

So Whaley admits he never really had a plan. A General Manager without a plan. The mind absolutely boggles.

So much for those that defended this incompetentto the point of defying the laws of physicsclown show daily.

Yep, and some are still defending the indefensible.