Tim Graham:Whaley wasted everyone's time.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/22/tim-grahams-power-take-doug-whaley-wasted-time/

"What rookie GM doesn't know this from the jump? How did Whaley not understand EJ Manuel wasn't the answer when Doug Marrone preferred Kyle Orton off his sofa eight days before the 2014 opener, or when Rex Ryan preferred Matt Cassel to Manuel as the backup?"

In the end...it is one of the major things that got him fired

If TT does not kill it this year I woud be shocked if we dont get a QB in this next draft...we might STILL do it

In the end...it is one of the major things that got him fired

If TT does not kill it this year I woud be shocked if we dont get a QB in this next draft...we might STILL do it

We both like TT, and any upgrade in the draft would be nice. Maybe Peterman is that guy.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/22/tim-grahams-power-take-doug-whaley-wasted-time/

"What rookie GM doesn't know this from the jump? How did Whaley not understand EJ Manuel wasn't the answer when Doug Marrone preferred Kyle Orton off his sofa eight days before the 2014 opener, or when Rex Ryan preferred Matt Cassel to Manuel as the backup?"

Thanks. Agree 100% with TG.

Im not sold that Whaley understood that EJ wasnt the answer last year let alone 2014.

By far my biggest problem with him.

I'd agree with this as well. I liked a lot of Whaley's tenure but this was head scratching. It was so obvious and so obvious a long-time ago. Denial, stubbornness and defiance aren't exactly great qualities for a GM. While it was painfully obvious to everyone else, as Tim Graham points out, he stuck to his guns.

I don't think that is what cost him his job because Marrone and Rex overruled him. It was just the thing that I hold against him the most.

By far my biggest problem with him.

This is what i don't understand about Whaley and why many thought, for the longest time, that EJ was his pick...he never distanced himself from the pick and just kept doubling down...if your job is on the line wouldn't you wanna get as far away from EJ as possible, especially when it wasn't even your pick? He had opportunities to take Carr, Garappolo, Bridgewater...all were likely rated higher than EJ coming out of college...hell, Garappolo even broke all of Romo's records in school...all EJ ever did was to allow his successor to win the championships he never could... By not being smart enough, Whaley deserved what he got...nice guy but just not smart enough, even when many Bills fans were screaming for another QB after EJ was drafted.

I'd agree with this as well. I liked a lot of Whaley's tenure but this was head scratching. It was so obvious and so obvious a long-time ago. Denial, stubbornness and defiance aren't exactly great qualities for a GM. While it was painfully obvious to everyone else, as Tim Graham points out, he stuck to his guns.

I don't think that is what cost him his job because Marrone and Rex overruled him. It was just the thing that I hold against him the most.

I think the EJ thing was so overrated. He thought he was developed poorly by Marrone (a freaking Syracuse OC as his QB coach and OC his rookie year) & he had a similar rookie year as a lot of QBs (Carson Wentz had a similar year this year).

He didn't give up on a qb he thought could possibly be a franchise guy. What's wrong with that? He brought in other Qbs and when EJ had to compete for his roster spot, he had a 150 qb rating.

Giving up early on a qb is stupid. I have zero problems with the pick and wish they would have drafted another one higher in the last 2 years.

I'd mention one point and ask you one question too

First up- the contract was guaranteed so it makes no sense to totally tank the guy. I think that's part of the stubbornness. Is Matt cassell good enough to justify paying cassell and EJ (even if you cut EJ)? I'd venture 6 of one half dozen the other, as an example.

Question: with your insights into the organization did it feel like he was pushing him to start the whole way or did it ever transition to simply pushing him to be on the 53 and whatever happened happened.

I think the EJ thing was so overrated. He thought he was developed poorly by Marrone (a freaking Syracuse OC as his QB coach and OC his rookie year) & he had a similar rookie year as a lot of QBs (Carson Wentz had a similar year this year).

He didn't give up on a qb he thought could possibly be a franchise guy. What's wrong with that? He brought in other Qbs and when EJ had to compete for his roster spot, he had a 150 qb rating.

Giving up early on a qb is stupid. I have zero problems with the pick and wish they would have drafted another one higher in the last 2 years.

To be clear, I didn't have a problem with the pick (especially after the trade). The Houston game for me was the last that I needed to see. He was a raw, boom or bust type of guy coming out. There's nothing wrong with taking those guys but when it's time to pull the plug, pull it. The Bills got it right.

I'd mention one point and ask you one question too

First up- the contract was guaranteed so it makes no sense to totally tank the guy. I think that's part of the stubbornness. Is Matt cassell good enough to justify paying cassell and EJ (even if you cut EJ)? I'd venture 6 of one half dozen the other, as an example.

Question: with your insights into the organization did it feel like he was pushing him to start the whole way or did it ever transition to simply pushing him to be on the 53 and whatever happened happened.

I didn't mind keeping him because of the contract but thought that it was a waste of a roster spot at the same time. I didn't think that he could win a game but get the financial end.

Candidly, I don't know exactly what Whaley's goals were with him. I know that he was a fan but don't know if he thought that EJ was the best option.

Doug Whaley's approach to drafting QBs was all wrong imho...i call it the cave man mentality...with both EJ and Cardale, we drafted purely on physical size and strength...accuracy and football IQ didn't seem to be important to Whaley...and to me, those are more important than physical size or how someone's smile might light up a room when they walk in...he just seemed to focus on the wrong things when judging a QB.

Edited by JaCrispy