Tim Graham:Whaley wasted everyone's time.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/22/tim-grahams-power-take-doug-whaley-wasted-time/

"What rookie GM doesn't know this from the jump? How did Whaley not understand EJ Manuel wasn't the answer when Doug Marrone preferred Kyle Orton off his sofa eight days before the 2014 opener, or when Rex Ryan preferred Matt Cassel to Manuel as the backup?"

Cool thread. Whaley was fired weeks ago. Isn't it time to move on?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be clear, I didn't have a problem with the pick (especially after the trade). The Houston game for me was the last that I needed to see. He was a raw, boom or bust type of guy coming out. There's nothing wrong with taking those guys but when it's time to pull the plug, pull it. The Bills got it right.

I didn't mind keeping him because of the contract but thought that it was a waste of a roster spot at the same time. I didn't think that he could win a game but get the financial end.

Candidly, I don't know exactly what Whaley's goals were with him. I know that he was a fan but don't know if he thought that EJ was the best option.

I appreciate the feedback there.

I think EJ always made sense on the 53 for me. As reckless as some portray Whaley to be with assets-- on this one it was a pretty conservative play with the cap space that allowed freedom elsewhere. Rather have EJ and zach brown over just cassell as an extreme but real example of the cap trade offs.

If he was trying to force him even last season as the starter going forward I'll say it was wrong. If he was just trying to avoid an ACL getting them stuck with the TT contract as was and long term... well...

Whaley sucked but he gets too much blame for quarterback and not enough blame for everything else.

Manuel had a promising rookie season. He just shouldn't have traded up for Watkins the following spring. And he should have drafted another one in each draft to compete. I wasn't a fan of the Orton signing even in hindsight considering it accomplished nothing except get us 9 meaningless wins that hurt our draft position and destroyed any hope that Manuel was going to develop. The Taylor pickup was good.

My biggest knock on Whaley re: QB was not drafting enough of them and choosing Adolphus Washington over Dak Prescott.

Whaley sucked but he gets too much blame for quarterback and not enough blame for everything else.

Manuel had a promising rookie season. He just shouldn't have traded up for Watkins the following spring. And he should have drafted another one in each draft to compete. I wasn't a fan of the Orton signing even in hindsight considering it accomplished nothing except get us 9 meaningless wins that hurt our draft position and destroyed any hope that Manuel was going to develop. The Taylor pickup was good.

My biggest knock on Whaley re: QB was not drafting enough of them and choosing Adolphus Washington over Dak Prescott.

It would not surprise me if they took Prescott off their board after getting a DUI weeks before the draft.

Funny that I was a piraiah on the BBMB for saying that before it was cool. I fought tooth and nail with people about EJ. He was literally the worst QB in the league, but you couldn't tell that to half of that board. He was the most over protected player I can ever remember in a bills uniform. It was sad. The guy was out played by every QB on the roster, each and every year he was in buffalo. Thank god he is gone.

Funny that I was a piraiah on the BBMB for saying that before it was cool. I fought tooth and nail with people about EJ. He was literally the worst QB in the league, but you couldn't tell that to half of that board. He was the most over protected player I can ever remember in a bills uniform. It was sad. The guy was out played by every QB on the roster, each and every year he was in buffalo. Thank god he is gone.

Yet, he getting paid by a SB contender. But you obviously know more about football than them.

EJ was okay in his 1st season with ups and downs you'd expect with a young QB. Seemed to get worse as time moved forward with him actually looking putrid in the season finale at NYJ. I think his confidence was totally gone by then.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Couldn't ypu of added this to the whaley interview thread?

What's worse, people creating threads about subjects that crossover with other threads, or people constantly whining about how there are too many threads.

Don't feel bad...I started scouting our next potential QB the night we drafted EJ...imagine what a crappy feeling that was...drafting your franchise QB is supposed to be a celebrated moment...instead it was like a funeral...i was just praying it wouldn't take OBD long to realize their blunder...unfortunately it took the length of the contract and the rest in history.

Edited by JaCrispy

What's worse, people creating threads about subjects that crossover with other threads, or people constantly whining about how there are too many threads.

People creating same subject threads and people that ask questions without using a question mark.

If the Mods want to they can. I'm sure you don't like what Graham is saying here.

I'm ok with the thread. I think it warrants a new thread, some posters are a little defensive when it comes to some of the players, coaches and this case ex GM.

There is an irony here. When he finally came to the realization that he needed to use a high draft pick on a qb he lost his authority to select one in this year's draft. I believe that he wanted to draft either Mahomes or Watson in the first round. It was too late because he was no longer making those decisions for the organization.

I never understood his passivity on the qb issue. In the end he sabotaged himself by not being aggressive enough in addressing the qb issue.

There is an irony here. When he finally came to the realization that he needed to use a high draft pick on a qb he lost his authority to select one in this year's draft. I believe that he wanted to draft either Mahomes or Watson in the first round. It was too late because he was no longer making those decisions for the organization.

I never understood his passivity on the qb issue. In the end he sabotaged himself by not being aggressive enough in addressing the qb issue.

We'll have to wait a few years to see if either Watson or Mahomes turns out to be anything. Just being aggressive ensures nothing. Just ask the Redskins with their aggressive moves to get RGIII.