Bills have Air Force WR Jalen Robinette at rookie camp

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@christrapasso

#Bills have Jalen Robinette (my No. 5 WR in '17 class) in for rookie minicamp. Recently ruled he couldn't turn pro (from Air Force) but...

...Robinette's agent is fighting for him to get past the new regulation, so he'd be able to immediately play in NFL

Jalen Robinettes hope of playing in the NFL immediately isnt lost yet. Heres why.

Robinette, Air Forces all-time leading receiver, was expected to be a mid-round draft pick before a military policy change

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/06/air-force-jalen-robinette-nfl-lobbying/

If this works out for us it could be one of the better pickups in this draft.

Kills their recruiting actually... in like 3-5 years they will be near the bottom of the FBS. Not to mention it's pretty clear they lied to him when they recruited him. Or he was at least misled that he would be able to get out of it after that ruling a year ago.

Either way - smart move coming here. We need help at that position.

Nobody lied to him. General Mattis is responsible for the new/old rule. Since Trump became President, a bunch of rules have been wiped out and this was one of them. I don't think this was intentional, so there is a good chance the kid can get the rule reversed and play pro football. It's up to his lawyer(who happens to work in DC circles) to talk to the right people.

Edited by Rockinon

I have to say, as much as I'd like to see this guy in a Bills uniform this fall, this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. When he signed up for his free ride to the Air Force Academy (a great school, by the way), he knew he was signing up for a (minimum) two-year service commitment after graduation. Now he wants to be let out of that commitment because he's got better things to do with his time. What about the AFA grad who gets an awesome offer to go work for Goldman Sachs after graduation? Does they let him out of his commitment? What about a female AFA grad who wants to try out for the Olympics? Do they let her out? Doesn't seem right to me...

I have to say, as much as I'd like to see this guy in a Bills uniform this fall, this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. When he signed up for his free ride to the Air Force Academy (a great school, by the way), he knew he was signing up for a (minimum) two-year service commitment after graduation. Now he wants to be let out of that commitment because he's got better things to do with his time. What about the AFA grad who gets an awesome offer to go work for Goldman Sachs after graduation? Does they let him out of his commitment? What about a female AFA grad who wants to try out for the Olympics? Do they let her out? Doesn't seem right to me...

Life isn't fair.

He was my WR9 in this draft--I love this kid.

Blokes ain't the only one!

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/192802-find-me-a-2-reciever-after-round-2-in-draft/?do=findComment&comment=4296974

that's my man

I never heard of him before I opened this thread, but thanks to you three, he's now my man, too. :)

If they want to get these kind of athletes at the service academies they need to let them out. If they don't , they won't.

I agree with your sentiment and I don't think anyone has a duty to help the academies recruit Division 1 athletes. But the services have historically allowed active duty members to participate in the Olympics (every American in the Biathlon, for example) and I always wondered how Stan Smith stayed on the tennis tour while he was an active captain in the US Army.

I love this move IF, a big IF he is able to play. I really don't think they're going to let him off of the 2 year commitment. It was brutal when they showed his family who were unable to even leave their house as they were being hit by a bad winter storm at the time. It's dumb on Air Forces part as their recruiting will suffer tremendously. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst in this situation.

would we get some kind of roster exemption if he is serving in the military?

Has he actually been signed?

Currently listed as try out:

Tryout Players

DT Chas Alecxih (6-4, 296) - Pitt

WR Dres Anderson (6-1, 187) - Utah

OL Gavin Andrews (6-5, 334) - Oregon State

K/P Brett Benes (6-0, 179) - Charleston

QB Danny Collins (6-2, 219) - Maine

LB Fletcher Collins (6-2, 225) - Montana St.

FB Adam Cox (5-10, 238) - Iowa

LB Sean Folliard (6-2, 225) - Northern Illinois

DE Jamari Ford (6-2, 234) - Miles

C Jay Guillermo (6-0, 298) - Clemson

LB Anthony Harrell (6-2, 229) - Georgia Tech

CB Isaiah Jackson (6-0, 182) - Western Colorado

CB Justin Jemison (6-2, 185) - Jackson State

TE Kenny Johnston (6-3, 226) - Florida Tech

FB Andrew King (5-11, 240) - Texas-San Antonio

OT Voghens Larrieux (6-5, 300) - Coastal Carolina

LB Abner Logan (6-1, 235) - Albany

S Adam Maxie (6-1, 176) - Coastal Carolina

OT Ryan Melton (6-5, 304) - Texas State

OT Jacque Polite (6-4, 296) - Winston-Salem State

WR Jalin Robinette (6-3, 220) - Air Force

C Michael Selby (6-1, 295) - Marshall

CB Terrance Singleton (5-11, 200) - Prairie View

DT Donte Wilkins (6-0, 294) - Virginia

WR Jordan Williams (6-2, 188) - Edinboro

Didn't the Bills have another player back in the 90's, early 2000's that was in a similar situation?

Not sure I'm accurate, but I thought there was a kid that played for us, but had to leave at times to serve.

Maybe Bryce Fisher?