This is not a rebuild, folks...

eball

How could anyone possibly know this right now? That's kinda my point. Just because you were drafted early and are projected to start does not mean you had a great draft. If that were the case then pretty much every team every year has great drafts.

Or the opposite being is if no one knows than everyone had a terrible draft? You look at the pedigree, production, scouting, character and athletic numbers to form an educated guess.

Both White and Jones EXCELLED with a large sample size in their college careers. White played 48 games in the SEC!! He isn't some unknown quantity. Jones caught 399 balls!! They were 2 of the safest, most pro-ready players in this draft by any account. They don't have the ceiling of some others at their position but will almost certainly have long careers. Dawkins has more question marks than the other 2 because he doesn't have the resume that they do. He has the physical skills but I'd agree we know less about him.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or the opposite being is if no one knows than everyone had a terrible draft? You look at the pedigree, production, scouting, character and athletic numbers to form an educated guess.

Both White and Jones EXCELLED with a large sample size in their college careers. White played 48 games in the SEC!! He isn't some unknown quantity. Jones caught 399 balls!! They were 2 of the safest, most pro-ready players in this draft by any account. They don't have the ceiling of some others at their position but will almost certainly have long careers. Dawkins has more question marks than the other 2 because he doesn't have the resume that they do. He has the physical skills but I'd agree we know less about him.

Perhaps you're missing my point?

Unfortunately for us, it isnt. 6-9 wins is the problem. They will keep striving for that.

A bad schedule, the Pats tooling up for 14-15 wins.... just play dead a year, clear out cap room, acquire picks, put yourself in a position to get Darnold or one of the top 3 QBs... and live to fight in 2018 and beyond.

The tank/rebuild season has to occur when the previous coach is still around. If the Pegulas wanted a full rebuild, then they would've (should've?) kept Rex for another season.

You don't want your first-year HC taking it on the chin in year #1. The fans would think he sucks and would immediately want him fired. The pressure generated from that impatience would seep into the organization and cause the front office to make decisions they wouldn't otherwise make. The franchise would basically be sabotaged.

There's no reason this team shouldn't improve on last year's 7-9 record. And if they don't then that's strike one on McDerBeane.

Perhaps you're missing my point?

Not at all

Of course you don't know how good a player will be before they play. Most educated people thought that Zeke Elliott would excel last year - he did. You know what type of player that you are drafting. The Bills drafted VERY high floor guys with their first 2 picks. I don't think that anyone expects them to be anything other than that in the short term. Their experience and physical traits will transition immediately. They may never reach the level of success of guys like Lattimore or Corey Davis because they don't have the upside but their floors are right there with anyone.

We cleaned house, let a lot of players from the previous regime walk and put one of the main investments of the old staff in Watkins on notice.

They also reduced the years of Tyrod and set it up so that they could walk away easier.

If you don't thunk this is a rebuild, than I don't think you are paying attention.

There's 3 tiers, the lowest third of the NFL is rancid.

The Bills are at the bottom of the middle tier on paper and past performance.

Would be nice if they could move up a bit more this year.

this. i've been saying for some time (to use a Sabre's phrase) that this is the year of suffering. it's clear they are trying to tank this year.

Have you seen how active McDermott has been in free agency? We won't even have any comp picks in 2018. That's not indicative of a team that's planning on tanking.

Have you seen how active McDermott has been in free agency? We won't even have any comp picks in 2018. That's not indicative of a team that's planning on tanking.

We did lose like.. a ton of players... and needed upgrades all over the place. The key is structuring contracts better if you want to get comp picks (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/13/some-teams-are-using-option-years-to-enhance-compensatory-draft-picks/).

Needed: Kicker, backup QB, WR2, WR3, TE2, FB1, CB1, CB3, DE3/4, WLB, FS, SS, RT

Several of those players were released - Graham, Robey-Coleman, A-will from their contracts because of cost/performance and don't count in a comp-pick situation. Couple those 3 with the loss of gilmore, and we have a ton of holes in the secondary.

If we waited to sign replacements, we're left with many of the players we released/let walk.... See below

Aaron Williams Corey Graham Dan Carpenter Marcus Easley Percy Harvin Corbin Bryant Reggie Bush Jerome Felton Leger Douzable James Ihedigbo Corey White Brandon Spikes Sergio Brown Scott Crichton IK Enemkpali Dri Archer Chris Gragg Jonathan Meeks Phillip Thomas Gerald Christian Greg Salas

I don't buy it's hard to go from the middle to the top.

The Seahawks did just that a few years ago.

The moves or lack there if they made in the offseason have me scratching my head as well. I'm really not sure what the realistic goal is internally this year.

Seahawks also had one of the best HCs, one of the best defenses and one of the best RBs in the game.

If Miami can make the playoffs with a first time HC, why not the Bills? Miami's personnel isn't much better than Buffalo's, if at all

You aren't making us happier to consider 17 years without even a whisper of sneaking in under the cheapest capture of a playoff spot...

If Miami can make the playoffs with a first time HC, why not the Bills? Miami's personnel isn't much better than Buffalo's, if at all

it can happen. i'm not saying i expect it, or i even think it will happen, but it's in the realm of possibilities. the concept of it upsets some people a lot apparently. this is why we watch each new season with excitement. if it doesn't happen, so well. we're pretty used to it by now.

Improve the Defense to get back into the top 10 and get a little more production from Tyrod and yes people the Bills can have a good season.

The main reason the schedule is "so tough" is that the Defense allowed way more than 20 ppg so very few of us have an optimistic outlook.

When the Bills Defense was very good the lines of Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning weren't that much of a threat. The problem then (as I saw it) was Kyle Orton and EJ were the QB's.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

You aren't making us happier to consider 17 years without even a whisper of sneaking in under the cheapest capture of a playoff spot...

what happened for the last 17 years has no bearing on this upcoming season. if that's what you were implying.

what happened for the last 17 years has no bearing on this upcoming season. if that's what you were implying.

What's in the past is past and can not be changed. What's in the future can be changed if you go about it the right way.

This is related to the post -

The other day Barry Trotz told the Caps - the past, lets play for today. Since then the Caps have dominated with the same talent that was getting beaten by the Pens.

What's your point?

They went from a middle of pack team to one of the better teams in the league.

My point is that their situation can't be compared to the Bills' situation. Not in the slightest.