This is not a rebuild, folks...

eball

Call me an optimist, BUT:

- we have no idea how our QB will play in a new offense, asking him to do new things (OR who will even be our QB), so we dont know if we will have "zero passing offense"

- we have no idea if our LBs can play in McD scheme...many think Ragland/Preston cannot do it, others seem to think they will be fine (if you follow Rob Quinn on twitter, he posted an excellent article last week that shows just how great Preston Brown was as a coverage LB - were talking top 5 in the league - and that he may be a good fit in McD scheme...and would also make sense why we didnt address LB early in the draft or in FA)

- like our safeties better than last year, and I personally see CBs in this scheme as "get guys who can do it" which we seem to have done. Yea sucks to lose a talent like Gilmore, but why do you need a corvette on a 40 MPH road? Yea Gilmore could have had success in this D, but so can a lesser DB (and McD has always gotten the most out of under the radar DBs - Norman anyone?)

- Shady is Shady, our o-line is as good or better than last year. Who will step up behind Shady? Someone will....first it was Karlos, then it was Gilly, now it will be....next man up. Its the system.

- WR depth is an issue no doubt about that...a lot will depend on health and productivity of WRs

We do not know the answer to any of the questions above...could we go 5-11? Absolutely. Could we go 11-5? Absolutely....if you choose to think thats not possible, then I am sorry for you as a fan. I choose to be optimistic until theres no other option (usually november 1st as a Bills fan).

HEY EY EY EYYYYY!!!!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They got rid of a half dozen of their most talented players.

They kept a painfully mediocre QB.

They have a first-time HC.

They have a first-time GM.

They are facing their toughest schedule in recent memory.

This is, indeed, a rebuild. And it's about goddamn time.

At least with Beane being hired, it seems that McBeano will be the tandem for a few years to come.

I'd expect (pray/hope/beg for) a new QB next year and serious aspirations for a playoff run in 2019.

SPOT on! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately for us, it isnt. 6-9 wins is the problem. They will keep striving for that.

A bad schedule, the Pats tooling up for 14-15 wins.... just play dead a year, clear out cap room, acquire picks, put yourself in a position to get Darnold or one of the top 3 QBs... and live to fight in 2018 and beyond.

So we should not try to win because we know the pats are going to be good?

...and I find it amusing that posters are saying things like "give them three years and we'll see" and whatnot.

Yes, it's McD's first HC job, and yes, it's Beane's first GM job (although he did serve as interim GM for 10 games in 2012), but these guys are hardly "green" and the Bills' roster cupboard is far from bare.

I will be shocked if the Bills aren't at least a 6-7 win team, and I certainly think it's possible they could win 9 or 10. This is not a rebuild, it's a refocus.

there you go spoiling it for all of the "rebuilders"

I see this a lot like you do. This season has a different feel but I expect similar results. The Bills aren't bad enough to be a 3-13 type of team. That would allow them to grab a top QB prospect and rebuild quickly. They have a shot at the playoffs (I would say 20%ish) but are not Super Bowl contenders. If they do win 9 games (as an example) and just miss the playoffs what do they do next year? The problem is it's hard to go from the middle to the top. I wish that they either went all in this year (re-sign Gilmore, BPA at 10, re-sign MG, etc..) and tried to contend or blew it up. I am willing to let this play out but this feels like a decent football team that won't be good enough to win it all or bad enough to add major talent.

My feelings exactly

Unfortunately for us, it isnt. 6-9 wins is the problem. They will keep striving for that.

A bad schedule, the Pats tooling up for 14-15 wins.... just play dead a year, clear out cap room, acquire picks, put yourself in a position to get Darnold or one of the top 3 QBs... and live to fight in 2018 and beyond.

this. i've been saying for some time (to use a Sabre's phrase) that this is the year of suffering. it's clear they are trying to tank this year.

this. i've been saying for some time (to use a Sabre's phrase) that this is the year of suffering. it's clear they are trying to tank this year.

That's actually not clear, at all. Great draft, pretty active in free agency - I see a team that wants to win this year.

That's actually not clear, at all. Great draft, pretty active in free agency - I see a team that wants to win this year.

Great draft based upon what, exactly?

Call me an optimist, BUT:

- we have no idea how our QB will play in a new offense, asking him to do new things (OR who will even be our QB), so we dont know if we will have "zero passing offense"

- we have no idea if our LBs can play in McD scheme...many think Ragland/Preston cannot do it, others seem to think they will be fine (if you follow Rob Quinn on twitter, he posted an excellent article last week that shows just how great Preston Brown was as a coverage LB - were talking top 5 in the league - and that he may be a good fit in McD scheme...and would also make sense why we didnt address LB early in the draft or in FA)

- like our safeties better than last year, and I personally see CBs in this scheme as "get guys who can do it" which we seem to have done. Yea sucks to lose a talent like Gilmore, but why do you need a corvette on a 40 MPH road? Yea Gilmore could have had success in this D, but so can a lesser DB (and McD has always gotten the most out of under the radar DBs - Norman anyone?)

- Shady is Shady, our o-line is as good or better than last year. Who will step up behind Shady? Someone will....first it was Karlos, then it was Gilly, now it will be....next man up. Its the system.

- WR depth is an issue no doubt about that...a lot will depend on health and productivity of WRs

We do not know the answer to any of the questions above...could we go 5-11? Absolutely. Could we go 11-5? Absolutely....if you choose to think thats not possible, then I am sorry for you as a fan. I choose to be optimistic until theres no other option (usually november 1st as a Bills fan).

HEY EY EY EYYYYY!!!!

There are absolutely a lot of unknowns

One thing I do expect to happen...i expect our D to be better...RR was suffocating our guys last year with his "I know defense and will stand by my record" RR

Cant really tell yet if it was a great draft....if we get 3 starters out of it I think it was

Great draft based upon what, exactly?

Basically consensus opinion. Obviously a draft can't really be evaluated for years, but at this stage you couldn't ask for much more. 3 probable starters and good depth, as well as an extra first rounder next year.

Being a starter doesn't mean you're a good player

Do you think White and Zay aren't good players?

As for Dawkins, he's an upgrade - where we desperately needed an upgrade. And he may turn out to be really good, as well.

Which guy isn't good?

How could anyone possibly know this right now? That's kinda my point. Just because you were drafted early and are projected to start does not mean you had a great draft. If that were the case then pretty much every team every year has great drafts.

Basically consensus opinion. Obviously a draft can't really be evaluated for years, but at this stage you couldn't ask for much more. 3 probable starters and good depth, as well as an extra first rounder next year.

I agree that it appears to have been a good draft, but - as you stated - it'll take a few years to know.

Do you think White and Zay aren't good players?

As for Dawkins, he's an upgrade - where we desperately needed an upgrade. And he may turn out to be really good, as well.

They were good players in college and I can only hope they will be good in the NFL. Same for Dawkins. We hope he's an upgrade at RT but we won't know until these guys actually get on the field