The Pegulas flushed 35 million down the toilet

Flushed 35 mil along with bad personnel in hopes of fixing franchises. Whats the problem with that. They are doing everything in their power at improving the outlook of their franchises with respect to winning.

Plus too I am sure they have write offs that can offset parts of those salary commitments. On top of that the Bills and Sabers are toys for them. They really are just putting money into something for fun as opposed to running it like a traditional business.

Flushed 35 mil along with bad personnel in hopes of fixing franchises. Whats the problem with that. They are doing everything in their power at improving the outlook of their franchises with respect to winning.

and doing a terrible job....I don't get why they get a pass for all the mistakes they have made

and doing a terrible job....I don't get why they get a pass for all the mistakes they have made

They've only owned the team since 2014. I don't think they get a pass for any mistakes made (e.g., Rexy), but they certainly should be given a chance to mend the fences before we deem them terrible owners.

They've only owned the team since 2014. I don't think they get a pass for any mistakes made (e.g., Rexy), but they certainly should be given a chance to mend the fences before we deem them terrible owners.

Of course they get a chance.....I guess I'm including the Sabres.....obviously I want everything to turn out well but they don't inspire confidence as this point.

Of course they get a chance.....I guess I'm including the Sabres.....obviously I want everything to turn out well but they don't inspire confidence as this point.

Well, one thing I will give them credit for is they aren't afraid to cut bait when things are apparently going wrong. I like the McDermott hire so far, and I like the personnel moves the Bills have made this offseason. These next GM hires could be their redemption if they get them right. Time will tell.

Well, one thing I will give them credit for is they aren't afraid to cut bait when things are apparently going wrong. I like the McDermott hire so far, and I like the personnel moves the Bills have made this offseason. These next GM hires could be their redemption if they get them right. Time will tell.

Here's hoping. Just wish they wouldn't make the big mistakes in the first place. Be a bit more diligent in their decision making

Edited by nucci

I know they are billionaires but since 2015 when they hired or extended their now fired coaches and GMs they gave away about $35 Million that they still owe these four. This is based off of Rex's 17.5 million he is still owed, Bylsma 9 million, And since Whaley and Murray recently signed extensions I'm going to be conservative and figure they are still owes about 4 million each. They certainly didn't obtain their wealth by making such bad investments.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they have made all of these moves, however it is a bit alarming to see. And please don't talk about what ESPN is paying Rex with his fake teeth and once stapled stomach, whatever #s they worked out isn't putting a dent in what the Bills owe him.

You do realize that it isn't their money right. They money that you are talking about comes out of the operating budgets of two businesses that they own. It doesn't affect their bank account one iota. It affects the bottom line of the two businesses and both are still profitable.

What mistakes have they made?

They bought the Bills and kept them in Buffalo. They own the Bills not you, not me, but the Pegulas.

They wanted to try and keep things in place while they learned the business, common practice in business.

When they bought the team the coach walked out on them, not their fault.

They were forced into hiring a new coach right out of the gate and they hired someone who charmed them and flaunted success at them (yea I know old success, but success none the less). They had enough of that circus and cut ties for that before things got much worse.

They did a much better job and hired what appears to be a very good coach who's brought in some proven assistants.

At the end of the scouting season they cut ties with the GM and his staff, common for that to happen now.

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps the Pegulas were tired of things being leaked to the press and maybe just maybe they planted a few things around and were able to identify the leaks and tracked them back to the GM and his scouts?

Much of what the Pegulas have done is very common in business.

IMO, they are learning quickly and willing to admit when they've made a mistake and even more willing to correct that mistake.

we're paying for it in increased ticket costs

hah. well, unless Terry and Kim are holding a gun to your head, you don't have to pay the prices they charge for tickets. You can choose not to buy them!

not to mention average ticket prices for Bills games are one of the lowest if not the lowest in the league.

I know they are billionaires but since 2015 when they hired or extended their now fired coaches and GMs they gave away about $35 Million that they still owe these four. This is based off of Rex's 17.5 million he is still owed, Bylsma 9 million, And since Whaley and Murray recently signed extensions I'm going to be conservative and figure they are still owes about 4 million each. They certainly didn't obtain their wealth by making such bad investments.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they have made all of these moves, however it is a bit alarming to see. And please don't talk about what ESPN is paying Rex with his fake teeth and once stapled stomach, whatever #s they worked out isn't putting a dent in what the Bills owe him.

This is equivalent to me dropping a $100 bill in the parking lot. It kinda sucks, but not going to change my life.

The point being since many of you missed it is that it's a bit disconcerning they are 0-4 and -35 million when it comes to the biggest decisions an owner can make. Since ya know them making the right decisions in respect to GMs and coaches is are only hope as fans. They aren't off to a rousing start.

So do you have access to the Bills/Sabres accounting and payroll information? They've made a lot more money with these organizations than they have lost with these firings.

I get where you're coming from. I guess we just have to accept their explanation and roll on. He explained that he didn't get involved in the hire of Murray and regrets that - and Whaley was onboard when he bought the team.

I think they initially wanted continuity and kept them in place with extensions to prove it (statement making). Now upon reflection they want to be the ones to decide on the GM's and Coaches. Of course we don't know if this will work but it's their plan. If it doesn't work then we absolutely know and they will too - that it was their decisions.

They want a clean slate and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that this is truly the first fingerprints of total autonomy on the decisions.

I get where you're coming from. I guess we just have to accept their explanation and roll on. He explained that he didn't get involved in the hire of Murray and regrets that - and Whaley was onboard when he bought the team.

I think they initially wanted continuity and kept them in place with extensions to prove it (statement making). Now upon reflection they want to be the ones to decide on the GM's and Coaches. Of course we don't know if this will work but it's their plan. If it doesn't work then we absolutely know and they will too - that it was their decisions.

They want a clean slate and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that this is truly the first fingerprints of total autonomy on the decisions.

Well said.....I just want winning teams again. I am tired of losing

Good. Money is not an obstacle for this owner. There will be some who turn the Bills/Sabres down, but it will never be because they weren't offered enough financial compensation. A far cry from the Ralph Wilson era.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

On the job training fees....Listen to Terry answer the question related to this topic during this past Sunday's press conference. He doesn't care and says it common. That's the kind of owner I like from a financial perspective. I can't comment on the Sabres because I don't follow them with the focus or passion I do the Bills -- but getting rid of Rex and Whaley were fine with me and show me that ownership expects and deserves hard work, dedication, discipline and wins...in reverse order...

Guaranteed contracts with coaches are a given. So your choices are:

Pegula pays Rex Ryan 5 years guaranteed (with some offsetting language maybe) and sticks with him for all 5 years because he is paying him.

or

Pegula pays Rex Ryan 5 years guaranteed (with some offsetting language maybe) and eats the cost when he sees Rex Ryan isn't working out.

Which would you prefer?

Which would you not trash as a bad decision?

I can see the Whaley extension but I am one of the few I guess that thinks Whaley's only failure was in getting us a QB. A competent coach, and a franchise QB would have put us into the playoffs during Whaley's tenure and we wouldn't be talking about firing him right now.

Edited by What a Tuel