ESPN Layoffs

plenzmd1

Not sure to put this here or OTW, but first cut is a football guy.

Ed Werder is being let go. One of the best guys there I thought. Shame to see a quality reporter like Ed get cut, but the chuckleheads at TBN like Sully, Bucky and Harrington are protected by a guild.

Sad days when anyone loses their job over changing economy and business models.

Edited by plenzmd1

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Werder seemed like a solid guy. Probably not "sensational" enough for them these days...

I was hoping Fox Sports would surpass them but they seem to value the same level of "sensational" They brought in Skip and Shannon while watching ESPN fall on its face. I understand the way people view tv is changing but these networks fail to understand what appeals to the people who won't cord cut until the end.

Garbage channel. The screaming morons with "hot takes" and the hot young and intellectually devoid female "reporters" make it unwatchable. ESPN went for the young population, forgetting that the older, professional, gainfully employed population is where the money is at.

what are we missing any more?

anything i want is right there in a fraction of a second.

i don't need Sports Illustrated to tell me about a game that happened last week.

I don't need a national article that is shallow and stupid about my local team.

i can't even watch a game on TV without them flashing a score from a nothing game in Germany or Spain, ruining my attempt to tape and watch Malaga or Hoffenheim later on in the week....

the last several years ESPN has turned into crap, thats why they have a declining viewership

They have a declining viewership because they no longer have a stranglehold over the podium. As viewership habits change (2016 showed a massive shift in people dropping cable TV), ESPN has not adapted and is not present where people watch things. In addition, they now face more competition than ever before with video content being cheap and easy to produce.

Bill Simmons provided about 95% of my non-local reading about sports, and great podcasts, for the last 15 or so years for me.

Ditching him was understandable but that was pulling the plug for me.

They have a declining viewership because they no longer have a stranglehold over the podium. As viewership habits change (2016 showed a massive shift in people dropping cable TV), ESPN has not adapted and is not present where people watch things. In addition, they now face more competition than ever before with video content being cheap and easy to produce.

And they paid a boatload for a bunch of long term contracts for broadcast rights to live games. They paid several times the going rate for their NFL games, for instance. But many people are cutting the cord now. ESPN carries the highest charge of any non-premium channel and their set of channels is a relatively large portion of the cable bill. Non-sports watchers are bailing on the cable and dish companies and are no longer subsidizing the sports watchers. That equates to less casual sports watching from the cord cutters which means less ad revenue from viewership. It's been snowballing for the last couple years.

And they paid a boatload for a bunch of long term contracts for broadcast rights to live games. They paid several times the going rate for their NFL games, for instance. But many people are cutting the cord now. ESPN carries the highest charge of any non-premium channel and their set of channels is a relatively large portion of the cable bill. Non-sports watchers are bailing on the cable and dish companies and are no longer subsidizing the sports watchers. That equates to less casual sports watching from the cord cutters which means less ad revenue from viewership. It's been snowballing for the last couple years.

The NFL screwed them over though, Monday Night used to be THE night in the NFL, but now they've put the weeks big game on Sunday instead and further diluted primetime football with Thursday night. I love football as much as anyone, but after Thursday night and all day Saturday and Sunday, I need to skip out on monday so I don't end up divorced, I don't care about watching the Redskins play the Saints after already consuming ~30 hours of football the preceding 4 days.

The NBA is doing no favors, no one watches regular season (not to mention regular season baseball) and the post season is just as much with TNT / Fox as it is with ESPN. They've ruined their relationship with the NHL and are basically just left with College Football to post them up (and the Thursday night games they aired lost a lot of luster with the NFL's thursday night football).