Whaley and the draft

OK, so Gillislee is gone....another hole to be filled in the draft, along with CB, safety, LB, O line and wide receiver...4 of the areas created by our own action of lack of action. RB, could have been set, CB, could have been set, WR, could have been set LB, could have been set. Not to mention QB which many seem to consider a must.

now we have more areas to fill, however here is the question.

more than 50% of the people on this web site believe Whaley should not be the GM. (just observation).

He has created these many needs.

Why do you follow the draft.

Those who do not believe in Whaley must already know the draft is a bust. (See Watkins and the trade up)

Nothing good can possibly come from the weekend .

But wait maybe Whaley can get us out of he!! with a trade of Dareus for a 5th rounder. The ideal situation of better by subtraction.

That makes it worth following the draft.

Do people forget that Whaley drafted a RB last year as well? Look around the league and try and name the backup RBs please. It's such a silly thing to complain about. I wouldn't be shocked if Williams picks up where MG left off.

How will they ever replace the #2 WR for the NFLs least productive passing offense, the back up RB, a decent press man corner (to play in a predominantly cover2 zone defense) and a journeyman LB with inconsistent effort??? This roster was 7-9. Can we stop prentending these losses are insurmountable or even materially significant to winning?? They were 9-7 with only 2 of these 4 and worse with all of them.

And Dareus will be a dominant force this year if Frazier uses him correctly.

Get a fricken grip folks!

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

Not a single drafted player for who you can say the arrow was clearly pointing upward at the end of last season. A handful of players with hope/potential but with major questions, along with busts and scrubs... that's what he has to show for 4 years of drafts.

Not a single drafted player for who you can say the arrow was clearly pointing upward at the end of last season. A handful of players with hope/potential but with major questions, along with busts and scrubs... that's what he has to show for 4 years of drafts.

Makes no difference without a QB...

Pegs should have cleaned the trash out when Marrone left, should have done it with Rex and will now do it in 2-3 years when we are still in the same place. Don't get me started if we fire Whaley after the draft - how Billsy would that be?

So funny to hear people whine constantly about Whaley. The reality is the people who matter AKA the people who actually know what's going on behind the scenes disagree with you. Pegula has not shown himself to be shy about getting rid of people he considers to be underperformers, and he has shown an increasing amount of faith in Whaley. Let's see you be the GM for 3 different coaches in 5 years with 3 different offensive and defensive systems and lets see how you do, oh wait your a fan who gets their information from local media who get the majority of their breaking news from Twitter just like you do and the rest they just make up as they go along. Most of us will never get closer to making decisions for a professional sports franchise than buying a ticket to the game so let's not pretend like we have it all figured out. I'm going to go ahead and trust the Billionaire who owns a few sports franchises judgment for now over Bummer and Smugly. When Whaley is gone he's gone until then I'm a supporter and I am excited about this draft and this season. The Bills need some team branded pacifiers for some of these whiners sheesh

Edited by Madd Charlie

yet , there is another post on here that show his smack dab in the middle of the pack as a draft. That is with last years incomplete grade

you didn;t think Seymour's arrow was pointing up ? John Miller ?, Even the 7th round Tight end had a few moments.

OK, so Gillislee is gone....another hole to be filled in the draft, along with CB, safety, LB, O line and wide receiver...4 of the areas created by our own action of lack of action. RB, could have been set, CB, could have been set, WR, could have been set LB, could have been set. Not to mention QB which many seem to consider a must.

now we have more areas to fill, however here is the question.

more than 50% of the people on this web site believe Whaley should not be the GM. (just observation).

He has created these many needs.

Why do you follow the draft.

Those who do not believe in Whaley must already know the draft is a bust. (See Watkins and the trade up)

Nothing good can possibly come from the weekend .

But wait maybe Whaley can get us out of he!! with a trade of Dareus for a 5th rounder. The ideal situation of better by subtraction.

That makes it worth following the draft.

we can fill that whole from the same place we got Gillislee, from the street. RB is the easiest position to fill and is not a big deal in anyway having the pick is better the only thing I wish was different was getting a 4rth round comp.

Makes no difference without a QB...

Pegs should have cleaned the trash out when Marrone left, should have done it with Rex and will now do it in 2-3 years when we are still in the same place. Don't get me started if we fire Whaley after the draft - how Billsy would that be?

Sorry my good man but Whaley isn't going anywhere. I'm happy that Pegs decision don't follow misinformed posters. The correct GM has been fired (hockey), the hockey scouting dept can take notes from the Bills on how to evaluate talent and work with the coaches in a collaborative setting.

Sorry my good man but Whaley isn't going anywhere. I'm happy that Pegs decision don't follow misinformed posters. The correct GM has been fired (hockey), the hockey scouting dept can take notes from the Bills on how to evaluate talent and work with the coaches in a collaborative setting.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How will they ever replace the #2 WR for the NFLs least productive passing offense, the back up RB, a decent press man corner (to play in a predominantly cover2 zone defense) and a journeyman LB with inconsistent effort??? This roster was 7-9. Can we stop prentending these losses are insurmountable or even materially significant to winning?? They were 9-7 with only 2 of these 4 and worse with all of them.

We aren't pretending. When you are 7-9 and then you lose some of your better players, that's not a good thing.

And you're spinning awful hard. Zach Brown didn't have inconsistent effort, at least not until we lost him and the scent of sour grapes started to fill the air. These are good players. No, no Aaron Rodgers there, but they are good players and good teams don't have all Rodgerses. They're also filled with good role players. It's not a coincidence that everyone lists our draft needs as including LB, WR and CB, exactly where we lost guys.

Dig hole, fill it up. Dig hole, fill it up. That's not how you produce a fertile well-tilled field.

We are a 7-9 team that had the salary cap status of a team that was contending for a title. That's why we couldn't bring a lot of these guys back. It was genuinely bad cap handling and it cost us.

Yeah, how could anyone complain about a team going 9-7, then following that up with 8-8 and then 7-9?

Hard to understand how anyone could be unhappy with the builder of this terrific lineup and it's consistent, um, direction.

Thank you sir! Well said!

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

We are 2 injuries away from our 2 most injury prone players on offense (McCoy, Watkins) from having Jonathan Williams starting at RB and Roberts and Powell starting at WR. Journeyman Ramon Humber is penciled in as a starter at OLB and the other starter at OLB is going to be 34 when the season starts.

We are praying that Ragland is the real deal because if he isn't, we have one of the worst linebacking cores in the NFL.

Kevin Seymour is penciled in at starting CB and although we had a bad secondary last season, it could be worse this year if we don't hit on secondary picks.

Despite having a very friendly contract at the QB position we are in a really bad cap situation. The Dareus contract, the Clay contract.

You lose Hogan for nothing because you were stupid enough to give him the a tender that would return anything . Then compound that the very next year by making a similar mistake with Gilislee. Now the window is open for Whaley to do what he wants and draft a running back early. People balked at the Hogan contract but he was well $4 million per and we could have used him last year. Woods got double what Hogan got.

Whaley has been Assistant GM or GM since 2010 and we haven't sniffed the playoffs.

He waaaaay overy drafted Manuel which gives me no confidence in his ability to evaluate a QB. It was Whaley'pick. Sal Cappachio says as much and while I don't have inside information, I know for a fact the Whaley and Sal are close and he is one of Sal's sources.

Traded a 9th overall, a 4th and another 1st to trade up and get Watkins in the grearest receiver draft of all time and the team is uncertain if they are going to pick up Watkins option. Also passed on a player who is currently the best defensive player in the NFL in Mack for Watkins. Me and all my friends were sure it was Mack. We were disappointed.

Traded two 4th round picks to move up 8 spots for a linebacker, a trade that cost us Dak Prescott.

But he is doing a fine job and is articulate at press conferences.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

So funny to hear people whine constantly about Whaley. The reality is the people who matter AKA the people who actually know what's going on behind the scenes disagree with you. Pegula has not shown himself to be shy about getting rid of people he considers to be underperformers, and he has shown an increasing amount of faith in Whaley. Let's see you be the GM for 3 different coaches in 5 years with 3 different offensive and defensive systems and lets see how you do, oh wait your a fan who gets their information from local media who get the majority of their breaking news from Twitter just like you do and the rest they just make up as they go along. Most of us will never get closer to making decisions for a professional sports franchise than buying a ticket to the game so let's not pretend like we have it all figured out. I'm going to go ahead and trust the Billionaire who owns a few sports franchises judgment for now over Bummer and Smugly. When Whaley is gone he's gone until then I'm a supporter and I am excited about this draft and this season. The Bills need some team branded pacifiers for some of these whiners sheesh

BRAVO - BRAVO!!

I would assert that John Miller and Cyrus Kouandjio were trending upward at the end of last season...maybe Kevon Seymour as well.

Beyond that, I'd agree with you

I would assert that John Miller and Cyrus Kouandjio were trending upward at the end of last season...maybe Kevon Seymour as well.

Beyond that, I'd agree with you

Id also add Cockrell in there. If it wasnt for the constant scheme turnover and incompetent coaching, we should have been able to keep and use him in the defensive backfield. Seems like he would be a decent fit for McD's new scheme as well.

Do people forget that Whaley drafted a RB last year as well? Look around the league and try and name the backup RBs please. It's such a silly thing to complain about. I wouldn't be shocked if Williams picks up where MG left off.

How can we forget---the kid reminds us in his arrest video.