Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

95 pages about not resigning a backup RB?

Actually it has not been determined yet if Buffalo will match contract, use it as a basis for offer or just accept the 5th (really 1st pick of 6th round) pick. You know that otherwise DC Tom would post a reply saying "You're an idiot."

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup:

The numbers are what they are.

I've posted them before but the rule of thumb for the opposition here is MG doesn't get credit for how he performs if Shady played because......well....they didn't GAMEPLAN to stop MG. :rolleyes:

MG only had 1 low producing game where McCoy didn't play at all........the other two such games he ran 21 times for 178 yards....a ridiculous 8.5 ypa.....and 2 TD's.

McCoy himself had 6 games in 2015-2016 where he averaged UNDER 2.5 ypa.

And ANOTHER 6 games where he averaged less than 3.9 ypa.

Add in 2 more where he still ran for less than league average ypa(4.2).

So that's basically 14 of his 27 career Bills games where he averaged a below league average ypa.

The point isn't that Shady isn't good........it's that you have to judge him by his entire body of work........and likewise with Gillislee.

I just think it's funny how you put so much effort into this, but you don't even want him for two years. Your ideal situation was a 2nd rd tender and keeping him for one season. You view this as such a colossal mistake.....to lose a player that you only want to keep for one season because you don't want to pay him 3.2 mill a year. If he's THAT good, isn't he worth a long term deal worth at least 4 mill per? I mean, running the ball IS our identity right? If he was THAT good, than you'd want to sign him long term. But you only want him for one year, a season in which we will realistically not be a true contender. Not sure how getting a 5th rd pick this year isn't better than having him for one season and then saying good bye to him.

I love Gillislee and want him to be a bill for a 2+ years. Putting the 5th rd tender on him allows us to keep him for 2 years and maybe more if we extend him. Under the tender, he was one and done. Now we can either keep him for 2 or more years or get a draft pick for him if they think he's too expensive.

Like posting the same gif 5 times that depicts a guy claiming that he has huge metaphorical balls........while you are INTENDING to say he doesn't.......don't you understand that's not an effective use of a gif?

It's from the classic, Major League 2 - and the character is calling out another for not having... marbles.

It's a thinking man's gif. Probably why you missed it. That or you have better taste in movies.

FINALLY Monday! Either the way the decision goes, this ridiculous thread will finally die and a new one will begin -one way or the other..

Lengthy threads tend to drag on the system, reloading every click.

I am all for a new thread titled" Day of Reckoning, The Decision Part 2" put up by mod

Actually it has not been determined yet if Buffalo will match contract, use it as a basis for offer or just accept the 5th (really 1st pick of 6th round) pick. You know that otherwise DC Tom would post a reply saying "You're an idiot."

its actually not the 1st pick of the 6th. It's pick 163 which is the 19th pick of the 5th. It's Denver's pick they got for trading them AJ Derby last year. There are 22 selections after that before you get to the 6th. The Pats do have a later 5th that is the last pick of that round, but it's a comp pick.

Because he hasn't looked pedestrian when Shady is out?

We all know he plays well in games that Shady also plays........including when Shady has NOT played well.

That should say enough.....but let's entertain your claim a bit and look at when he HAD to play in Shady's absence the past two years:

From the moment Shady got carted off after his first carry of second half in the Redskins game until the end of 2015 here are MG's numbers:

37 carries 202 yards 2 TD's for a 5.5 ypa

From the point they finally pulled the plug on Shady in his awful performance in Miami in 2016 until the end of the NE game that he sat out entirely with the hammy:

17 carries 105 yards 1 TD 6.1 ypa

Where are all these struggles?

Some people point to the Jets game at the end of 2015......but that's just one game and those results were very circumstantial........meanwhile McCoy has had a number of REALLY BAD production days himself.......and Gillislee had very good days in almost all of those same games.

The exception being the Jets finale in 2016........where McCoy ran 5 times for 10 yards(2.0 ypa)...got carted to the lockerroom with another injury...... and MG ran for *just* 15 and 40 with 1 TD (2.7 ypa).

They BOTH struggled that day.......which as I've stated many times wasn't on them or the OL as much as it was primarily because Tyrod wasn't out there.

But the slippery slope in crediting Tyrod for that space he creates......is admitting that McCoy benefits greatly by his presence too.......which is tough for some people to swallow.

Neither of these dudes are the 5.4 and 5.7 ypa backs sans TT.

There might not be a back who is truly THAT good without arguably the league's most dynamic run threat QB right now.

You are losing it Gerry......no real statistical support for your claim......just jumping in 100 pages in a thread and saying things that aren't accurate for some reason.

That is a fantastic post. The point about TT opening up space for the RBs is a great one - and I sure hadn't noticed the degree of impact that it had.

I'll take these one by one

You can save the snark. I'm simply doing you the courtesy of allowing you to explain your position before I expose it for the inane sophistry it is.

Millions of fans are business people. The Pegulas' business was in no way related to professional sports franchise management. They are quite literally rich fans who bought a team and are now the owners.

Not necessarily, but who's to say. The underlying philosophy that you're espousing is that amateurs should not second guess professionals, which is both flawed and boring. It's flawed for several reasons.

First, it presupposes that anyone with such competencies would necessarily be hired on in such a capacity. But the NFL is a very limited field - there are only 32 NFL teams in the world. Becuase of that the overwhelming majority of people would never have an opportunity to put their abilities to the test.

Second, it assumes that the professionals must know best. Around the turn of the 20th century Montgomery Ward was one of the biggest retailers in the country. They determined that opening department stores was a bad idea and stuck with the catalog format. A nobody named James Cash Penney thought they were wrong and started opening his own stores. His stores quickly overtook Montgomery Ward who eventually realized they were wrong and were late to the party. If Penney had followed the Riverboat Richie philosophy of deference to authority he would never have started his empire.

Penney was actually more qualified for his undertaking than were the Pegulas as he had actually worked in the industry, the Pegulas had not.

Third, it ignores the plain reality that some posters have been right a lot more often than the experts have.

Fourth, your point is boring. The fun of this is tossing around different ideas and discussing them. If we all just deferred to the FO by claiming they must be right because they're the experts nobody would come here because it would be the most boring site on the internet.

I don't think I could be a GM, but I think some of the posters in this thread would make better owners than the Pegulas. Many of them clearly know a lot more about football.

Exactly

Great post. I'm glad someone said this.

I just think it's funny how you put so much effort into this, but you don't even want him for two years. Your ideal situation was a 2nd rd tender and keeping him for one season. You view this as such a colossal mistake.....to lose a player that you only want to keep for one season because you don't want to pay him 3.2 mill a year. If he's THAT good, isn't he worth a long term deal worth at least 4 mill per? I mean, running the ball IS our identity right? If he was THAT good, than you'd want to sign him long term. But you only want him for one year, a season in which we will realistically not be a true contender. Not sure how getting a 5th rd pick this year isn't better than having him for one season and then saying good bye to him.

I love Gillislee and want him to be a bill for a 2+ years. Putting the 5th rd tender on him allows us to keep him for 2 years and maybe more if we extend him. Under the tender, he was one and done. Now we can either keep him for 2 or more years or get a draft pick for him if they think he's too expensive.

I think Badol's point is that we have to play for the near term and not really think about the long term (2019 and beyond). Planning to lay low low for a couple of years and then become good because we accumulated 5th round picks is a recipe for continued failure. This is a short term league -- the most short term of all of them. And if there wver was a short-term position, it is RB.

My two cents on Gillislee-- it is PATENTLY obvious that he is good and could start for a lot of teams. Is this not obvious to, well, everyone? And yes, his ypc is augmented by the presence of Taylor, as is McCoy's. That is also patently obvious.

Edited by dave mcbride

Bills should match.

As they can always then trade MG later, if other running backs beat him out, for a 5th rounder, since God of Gods we can make no move the media does not love Pats Bellycheat says he is worth a 5th, and 6.4 mill over two years.

Not clear how much is sign bonus which would make MG even more valuable in a trade as Bills may have to eat some sign bonus.

This could be a good deal for Bills especially if some high profile RB's get hurt in camp or preseason. Maybe they get a 4th then.

Edited by cba fan

This is hilarious.

"From a gut-feeling perspective, I probably lean slightly more in the direction that Buffalo might be more inclined to match,” he wrote.

He's nothing if not decisive. Isn't Reiss the Pats*** version of Road-hack?

Great post. I'm glad someone said this.

I think Badol's point is that we have to play for the near term and not really think about the long term (2019 and beyond). Planning to lay low low for a couple of years and then become good because we accumulated 5th round picks is a recipe for continued failure. This is a short term league -- the most short term of all of them. And if there wver was a short-term position, it is RB.

My two cents on Gillislee-- it is PATENTLY obvious that he is good and could start for a lot of teams. Is this not obvious to, well, everyone? And yes, his ypc is augmented by the presence of Taylor, as is McCoy's. That is also patently obvious.

i guess he could start for some teams, but it really is not obvious to me that he could be a quality starter because he's never been one. We don't have any evidence he could carry the ball 200+ times effectively. He will be 27 when the season starts and we still don't know that based on his opportunity and production thus far. Even the Pats aren't showing they know that, but with their offense it doesn't matter because they have no clear #1 at this time. They are paying White, Burkhead and Gillislee -plus Lewis in a system of rotational backs. All that is obvious to me with him is that he can be very effective as a change of pace RB when paired with Shady, and TT at QB, behind Buffalo's OL. Edited by YoloinOhio

97 pages later and here's where we are:

We can choose to keep a known quantity for upper-level backup RB money, or we can choose to go with an unknown quantity for lower-echelon backup money.

How is this a difficult decision?

There is no major salary-cap-impacting decision on the horizon for the upcoming season, so the only cap implications are on 2018, when the cap figure will actually be less than it will this season.

97 pages later and here's where we are:

We can choose to keep a known quantity for upper-level backup RB money, or we can choose to go with an unknown quantity for lower-echelon backup money.

How is this a difficult decision?

There is no major salary-cap-impacting decision on the horizon for the upcoming season, so the only cap implications are on 2018, when the cap figure will actually be less than it will this season.

Sooooo you're saying it's complicated.