Is it okay to have a second team to root for?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent as much of my life in Charlotte as I have in Buffalo. I root for the Panthers when they aren't playing the Bills. I have convinced myself it is acceptable because they are an NFC team.

I used to until delhomme. Than I saw how they run that franchise and can't stand them

I don't have a second favorite team, per se. By around mid-season, I decide who I'd like to see in the Super Bowl (since Buffalo is always out of it by then) and I root for those teams (unless they play the Bills).

I do have teams I root for, but I don't really get terribly happy if they win or sad if they lose. It's simply dull to have no rooting interest once the playoffs begin. When I was a kid, the Bills were also bad and I liked the Vikings because of Fran Tarkenton and purple and Vikings. Then my family moved to Atlanta and I picked up the Falcons. 0 - 10 for Super bowls; maybe it's me :cry:

I like GB but as much as I like them it is never the same feel for the game as it is for the Bills.

I don´t get to high on them even if they make it to the SB and I don´t get upset if they lose any game. But what I like the most is thay I can enjoy they game itself as I am not nervous, anxious, angry, etc... during gametime.

It was a fun team back in the early 2000's with Davis & Foster, Smith & Muhammad on O and Jenkins, Peppers, Morgan, & Minter on D

Game in Carolina this year should be fun as always. We have a huge following down here in Charlotte and ALWAYS show up to BofA stadium.

If your first team is the Bills and your second team is the Browns, you are doing it wrong.

TRADITION!!!

As Bobby Baccalieri told the youngster, "this is a Giants household"

except I got the Bills and Browns

I've always had additional teams I pull for after my main favorites. For example, I grew up in a big Notre Dame family, and was a kid during Joe Montana's prime, so I've always had a soft spot for the Niners. But if the Niners and Bills play in the Super Bowl? It's Bills all day.

I think the same is acceptable within the same league/conference too. Like in baseball, I'm a Jays fan first, foremost and always. But like the Niners when I was a kid, the Twins '87 WS team was the first WS I vividly remember, and they had a lot of great players, so I've always kind of liked the Twins too. The fact that my hometown Rochester Red Wings are now the Twins' farm club adds another element of interest there.

I think fandom can absolutely be shades of grey, but at the same time, you must have your prime, unwavering favorite above all others.

Edited by jimmy10

My wife's a Vikings fan, so I root for them as long as they're not playing the Bills.

When they are playing the Bills, we use it as an opportunity to test our children's loyalties.

mother is god in the eyes of a child.

hahah good luck!

I don't have a second favorite team, per se. By around mid-season, I decide who I'd like to see in the Super Bowl (since Buffalo is always out of it by then) and I root for those teams (unless they play the Bills).

came here to post this.. by halloween i pick a team to cheer for, as often as not it's the giants as I live in the capital region and it's easier to fit in doing that lol

I have a soft spot for the Browns and follow them during the year. Pulling for the Patriots or Dolphins or just jumping on some teams bandwagon I agree though is unacceptable.

I think if you're still a Bills fan first and foremost you can root for whomever you like.

Although in the 90's my sister fell in love with the little mermaid and decided she liked the dolphins too :sick:

My three laws of football:

1. Always root for the Bills.

2. Always root for the Packers, unless they're playing the Bills.

3. Always root for the team playing against the pats*, unless the pats* winning would somehow help the Bills. (In that case I don't watch the game, because I can't stomach rooting for the pats*.)

Why the Packers? As others have said, small market team, rabid and loyal fan base, and overall classy organization. I also like that they're owned by the fans.

I'd say there is only one way I find a second team remotely acceptable. That would be if you are a Bills fan who relocated to another city with an NFL team who aren't an AFC East rival. I can understand sticking with the Bills while rooting for your new hometown team. Otherwise you are just a Bills fan. Don't try to kill the pain of being a Bills fan by latching onto a winner.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

3. Always root for the team playing against the pats*, unless the pats* winning would somehow help the Bills. (In that case I don't watch the game, because I can't stomach rooting for the pats*.)

Why the Packers? As others have said, small market team, rabid and loyal fan base, and overall classy organization. I also like that they're owned by the fans.

A lot of Bills fans have a soft spot for the Packers due to similar reasons. That's why I don't understand how come I hate them so much. Sadly, I think I'm jealous of the success such a small market has enjoyed. It also annoyed me that in Buffalo we worried about losing our team for years. Yet Green Bay is deemed special and have been grandfathered into community ownership being allowed. If Pegula didn't save us the Bills would be gone to greener pastures. Plus I know too many bandwagaon Pack fans. They are almost as annoying as Cowboys and Pats fans. Regardless, I do understand why Bills fans often like the Packers.

Have no problem with it, but the distinction for me is between "second team" and "another team" in that the former seems to indicate preference for the Bills over the second team and the latter seems to indicate possibly rooting for that team over the Bills. I feel for the Browns and kind of root for them unofficially because of the familiarity between fanbases in wearing bags on their heads... the struggle. But I'd never root for them if them winning adversely impacted the Bills. Also agree it is easier to hold a second team in the NFC because there are less chances for conflict of interest. I root for the Lions because I have family that loves them. Also the similar familiarity between fanbases. To me, all teams are second to the Bills... always.

THIS! My sentiments exactly.