Is it okay to have a second team to root for?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in DC for three years and just couldn't warm up to the Skins, especially a few years removed from the beat down in Super Bowl XXVI. Then I lived in Baltimore for 11 years. The team won the Super Bowl the first year I lived there and I just couldn't get into another AFC team, especially as this was a former AFC East opponent's town. I saw some good football, but my reaction was "meh."

I lived in Madison, WI from 2012-2016 and loved the Badgers. Buffalo wasn't a big NCAA football town growing up, so I wasn't in love with the college game til I lived there. It's very much a game day feeling at Camp Randall. I guess that was the gateway to adopting the Packers as my NFC team. Similar franchises, minus the rings, and similar people.

Back in Buffalo now after being away for 22 years. Will always like the Pack, but will always love the Bills.

Fak yeah! I like stories. Stories of growth. transformation. redemption. talent development. Combine that with athletic ability. Of the individual athlete. Or at organization level.

So I follow Carroll and Seahawks. I know many of you have firm memories of what a laughing stock Carroll was thought of as. He was laughed out of NFL. Again derided for taking a "college job". He was Rodney Dangerfield of Football. But not on comedy circuit. Instead he's blazed the trail. Brought innovation to the game. He IS Phoenix. A living football god. And will be enshrined as such.

Last year's Dak Prescott is a true feel-good story. 4th round project who surprised everyone with precocious poise. I'm looking to see if the kid hits his sophomore slump or does he grow further - faster release, faster decision making, better decision making.

Bills are a good story. Because it's been burnt many times. Like the story of Icarus. Flew too high. Got burnt. 4 times in a row. Crushed and BROKEN. Franchise has been in a rubble since. Emotionally destroyed by the those epic losses. Struggling with its past. But held back by it.

Trying to move beyond them but they keep holding it back. Flutie brought some magic back but conventions led Bills to kill its lucky charm. The team is stirring again. There is some talent. Its fanbase excited but DREADING the pain of the past. The pain that I see all over this board. Ghosts of 4 superbowls hang heavy like molten lava over its fanbase and the franchise. Heavy, still burning, still stinging. But there is life in its legs. It is starting to take heavy and errant steps in the right direction. Will those steps become trots? And will those trots then become sprints? Will those sprints get to escape velocity? The velocity to escape the chains of its past. Shed the memories of its crashes. And soar like Phoenix.

So I watch. For the unfolding of that story.

Sure, I used to follow the Chargers but they are dead to me now. My son's friend used to work in the Marketing dept. Spanos was too cheap to buy pens and notepads for the sales staff. They had to buy their own. After hearing that, I disavowed the Chargers, glad they moved. Spanos's don't deserve to own the Chargers. Certainly don't deserve a new stadium.

Game in Carolina this year should be fun as always. We have a huge following down here in Charlotte and ALWAYS show up to BofA stadium.

Have been here since the Panther second season.

Am a Panthers fan but realized how much I didn't care when they lost to Denver and my response was..., meh.

Am getting a group together for Bills Panthers