Anyone nervous about our new defensive scheme (Pats)

Virgil

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No more nervous than with any of the other 15 or so different schemes that they've tried and failed with vs Pats

They need to worry about scoring more points instead

This. The only way to beat Brady is to get a lead and keep the ball out of his hands. Long drives that end in points, with a strong D that makes key stops. Brady is still gonna get his 270 and 2 TD's no matter what.

But bottom line is that it's too much to expect the Bills to be responsible for 2 of the 2-3 losses they have all year. We just have to go 10-4 against the rest of the the schedule to get to the dance. Period.

Edited by FireChan

No more nervous than with any of the other 15 or so different schemes that they've tried and failed with vs Pats

They need to worry about scoring more points instead

pretty much this. do their best to slow the pats down, maybe get lucky on a dropped pass or two, keep the pressure up on the other side of the ball, long drives, and try to take the game into the 4th quarter. I think McD is going to play generally conservative ball but use the talent we have, and like someone else said, cant make any worse a show than sexy rexy did against the pats

His defense didn't stop much of anyone last year because he didn't have all pros at all 3 levels anymore, only 2.

I believe McDermott is 1-0 vs the Pats as a D coordinator, so he obviously has Brady and Belichick's numbers...

Did Cam Newton come with the hire?

Half the fanbase can tell us the D that ruins the Pats easypeasy. I'm in the other half that believes they will adjust to whatever the other team is using, usually with an audible.

I'm concerned because Brady does kill zones but hopefully we can find a way to beat them. It's not like any other defense has worked against him either.

This is why I think we go front four because we have to get pressure up front or otherwise we are in for a long season regardless of philosophy.

Our defense is we line up on the line of scrimmage and wipe out every Patriot receiver.

I think that Virgil's concerns are warranted. Maybe it won't come into play too much this year but if the Bills start to close the gap or are competing for a WC spot it may be a factor. We probably need to split with the Pats to have a shot at a WC berth. This isn't necessarily about the Bills surpassing the Pats but more about trying to steal a game from them.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Not worried. Front line will bring enough pressure to slow down (but not stop) Brady & Co. That's all you can ask from them. Coverage should hold up well enough with the heat coming from up front.

I wouldn't go into worry mode this early. Let's see what we're working with after 8 games first.

It's a concern, but remember that just because it's a cover-3 zone (or any other kind of zone) doesn't mean that it's off-coverage all the time.

In fact, C-3 and other zone schemes often require their corners to play press/trail technique against shiftier guys.

My guess is that--against teams like NE, the plan for McDermott's D will be to bump as much as possible in the short zones to disrupt timing and generate pressure up the middle with Dareus/Kyle/Shaq (who will probably play a decent amount of 3/4i those games).

I was more concerned about what Rex would change on our defensive scheme. As it turned out, my concerns were valid.

With that said, I feel more optimistic this year.