Make your case for drafting a player. I am 100% objective.

Watson:

1. He's a winner. Every place he's gone, he's won at the highest level.

2. He's leader. He's been the unquestioned leader every place he's been. The Clemson program was handed to him and he delivered. If you watch him for 5 minutes, you can see and feel his presence. His teammates see and feel the same thing.

3. He's intelligent: Graduated in 3 years. Shown in games and workouts that he's capable of making quick decisions with intelligence.

4. He's a gamer: His best games have always been when the lights are the brightest. He brings his A game.

5. He's talented: He checks all the boxes with size, arm strength, touch and accuracy to all levels of the field in addition to above average athletic ability.

Summary: This is a future franchise QB that the Bills can build their team around long term. These don't come around too often so the Bills need to make sure they get him. Have to understand that he is a totally different prospect from EJ. The main differences being accuracy, winning and competitive spirit. EJ was a project that the Bills stretched for when they couldn't trade down further. Watson is a future star and may be the best player in the draft.

Obi Melifonwu. Safety from UConn. 6'4" with 4.40 speed. Will be a steal in second round for a team that is looking for a safety that can cover TEs. Pretty sure that having him on the field would come in extremely handy with the TEs in our division.

Edited by BarleyNY

As some know, I don't follow college football. In fact I ignore it totally. The sum of 2016 college football I have watched is perhaps 10 minutes of game time. I have no team. I have no conference. College exists to provide NFL players, and all other discussion doesn't matter to me. For years, I have found that one can spend 3 hours attending to college football discussion, in college team terms, and learn nothing/end up exactly where the conversation began.

Thus, for me, college football, unless it pertains to the draft, is a waste of time.

Therefore, this is the 100% objective draft thread. Make your case. Show me something. Understand that I know stats quite well, so, please, avoid my annoyance and your embarrassment, in trying to play stat games.

I have 0 reason to doubt you, and I have 0 reason to believe you. I can't agree or disagree. All I can do is: be convinced.

If you know absolutely nothing about any of the players (or college football) and the rest us of can not dare to use stats in any meaningful way, how is it anyone could convince you that any particular player should be drafted by the Bills?

We have enough needs (QB, WR, TE, OT, LB, CB, S) that I think trading down still would be the best scenario, regardless of who is still on the board at #10.

Trading down from #10 to the #15-20 range could easily net us another 2nd Round pick. And we still may get one of the guys we wanted at #10.

As per the Trade Chart, trading from 10 to 15 will get you a 3rd & a 4th.

Watson:

2. He's leader. He's been the unquestioned leader every place he's been. The Clemson program was handed to him and he delivered. If you watch him for 5 minutes, you can see and feel his presence. His teammates see and feel the same thing.

3. He's intelligent: Graduated in 3 years. Shown in games and workouts that he's capable of making quick decisions with intelligence.

4. He's a gamer: His best games have always been when the lights are the brightest. He brings his A game.

5. He's talented: He checks all the boxes with size, arm strength, touch and accuracy to all levels of the field in addition to above average athletic ability.

Summary: This is a future franchise QB that the Bills can build their team around long term. These don't come around too often so the Bills need to make sure they get him. Have to understand that he is a totally different prospect from EJ. The main differences being accuracy, winning and competitive spirit. EJ was a project that the Bills stretched for when they couldn't trade down further. Watson is a future star and may be the best player in the draft.

6. He'll be gone before we pick. at least that's what rumors are saying

As much as we need help in the Defensive side of the ball, I think the Bills should adress their horrid Pass Offense because no matter what, you win scoring points, and at least you have a top D, you won´t win with you D ala Denver and we certnly don´t have that type of D yet nor we are close meaning we are not one or two playmakers away to have that.

Therefore, I will most definitly draft one of these 3:

1. Mike Williams: He is my top choice beacuse he can be that No. 2, no pressure to be a No. 1 (unless Sammy is hurt again). He can be that type of AJ Green kind of receiver that wins 50/50 balls, he is not slow, he can be a good possesion reciver. He did well against Alabama and some other top defenses, so he plays well against good competiton.

2. Davis: My 2nd choince beacuse of the small program kind of thing. He looks the part but we don´t know how he plays with the big boys, but you can see he has the potential to be that No. 1 Dez Bryan kind of player.

3. OJ Howard: Know this guy was my top choice before I pay more attention to him. He has everything you want in the world, he is big, fast, strong, soft hands, etc... he laks blocking skills but he can bulck up and learn. But what I didn´t like is that for all the skills he has, he doesnt have great numbers, some people question his passion or love for the game, otherwise he will be my No. 1

TJ Watt.

- Great bloodlines

- Elite athleticism

- Explosive traits similar to top pass rushers

- Agility traits similar to top pass rushers

IMO this guy looks like he's going to be a 10+ sack a year edge rusher for years to come. He has a high floor and huge upside.

Edited by jrober38

Most are thinking 1st roung guy but I am thinking this way. James Conner, Pitt RB. Pitt's offense was fun to watch and he was a big part of it. He was very productive in their wins against Penn State and Clemson. I do not know where he will be taken, but I strongly believe that his value will exceed it.

>The 2014 ACC offensive player of the year

>Battled an ACL tear and Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2015/2016 and came back to wear the "C" for Pitt in 2016 and gain 1000+ yards.

>Recruited as a DE prospect from McDowell HS in Erie. PA. Erie is in the middle of the Steelers, Browns and Bills triangle and it would be a nice PR move to help expand Bills' nation.

>Won ESPN"s Disney Spirit award. Watch this video and tell me that wouldn't be rooting for this kid in the NFL: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18239403

>He ran in the Mid 4.6s range which maybe is a tad slow even for a 230 lb but...............

>He is an excellent short yardage/goal line runner that punishes would be tacklers.

>I think he is very good to excellent at pass protection and has good enough hands.

>His strengths are a nice complement to McCoy's weaknesses. Think of him as a 3rd down back, pass blocking and running draws and screens against all the small defenders in a dime defense.

>I think of him as a 230lb version of Robb Riddick and Robb is one of my favorite Bills.

>Since I would root for him anywhere in the NFL, just save me the trouble and make him a Bill.

As much as we need help in the Defensive side of the ball, I think the Bills should adress their horrid Pass Offense because no matter what, you win scoring points, and at least you have a top D, you won´t win with you D ala Denver and we certnly don´t have that type of D yet nor we are close meaning we are not one or two playmakers away to have that.
Therefore, I will most definitly draft one of these 3:
1. Mike Williams: He is my top choice beacuse he can be that No. 2, no pressure to be a No. 1 (unless Sammy is hurt again). He can be that type of AJ Green kind of receiver that wins 50/50 balls, he is not slow, he can be a good possesion reciver. He did well against Alabama and some other top defenses, so he plays well against good competiton.
2. Davis: My 2nd choince beacuse of the small program kind of thing. He looks the part but we don´t know how he plays with the big boys, but you can see he has the potential to be that No. 1 Dez Bryan kind of player.
3. OJ Howard: Know this guy was my top choice before I pay more attention to him. He has everything you want in the world, he is big, fast, strong, soft hands, etc... he laks blocking skills but he can bulck up and learn. But what I didn´t like is that for all the skills he has, he doesnt have great numbers, some people question his passion or love for the game, otherwise he will be my No. 1

Williams is solid but, (1) Davis has more upside and more speed, (2) Davis doesn't have the injuries Williams has has

IMO, these threads are more fun when we talk about Day 2-3 prospects, because they're the guys that teams need to convince themselves to draft.

So in that light, I'll throw out one of my favorite Day 2 prospects...

Every team should consider Howard Wilson, the cornerback from Houston, as solid starting material.

He has a coveted combination of size and length, and is an extremely fluid athlete (he finished 3rd amongst combine attendees in the 3-cone, and 2nd in short shuttle). He can flip his hips and pattern match in press, and shows excellent awareness and aggressiveness in off coverages. He has outstanding range and short-area quickness, so he can transition and close on underneath plays reliably, and he does--he's a very willing tackler.

Wilson also has very good ball skills--he's able to win in contested ball situations even against tough receivers. He was responsible for 7 takeaways as a senior.

If you don't have him on your board, then shame on you.

Im with you on Wilson, who is on my board and climbing... Dont forget the feet, smooth back pedal and instant click and close footwork on in breaking routes. I'd say he's a willing tackler effort wise, but "ankle bitter" might be a better description. I think he goes in round 2, but he's gone come the 4th round.

My case is for Rasul Douglas - CB - W. Virginia, in round 3.

- Has the height and arm length McD likes and has a draft history drafting.

- Fits the C3 profile, and can play bump n' trail/run gets a good jam in the 5 yard window.

- Excellent eyes and vision, sees, read and reacts to all routes in his zone.

- General awareness is excellent, understands situational football.

- Ball skills; in coverage and is looking to rip it out of ball carriers hands.

- Could transition to Safety and be a leader in the back end.

Watson:

I am also 100% in on Watson @10.

As per the Trade Chart, trading from 10 to 15 will get you a 3rd & a 4th.

in a millisecond. I bet we could drop to 15 and either Mike Williams or Corey Davis drops to us. Trade down and trade down again. stockpile picks rounds 2-5

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, while I agree that I'd like to see our passing offense upgraded, I don't think we will be throwing the ball enough to justify spending a 1st on a WR. You need to get McCoy, Sammy, and Clay targets in the passing game. That means the new WR would be, at best, a 4th option. Furthermore, it wasn't offense that lost us games last year, it was defense. That being said...

If a trade down (or two) toward the bottom of the 1st can be achieved, then draft:

Kevin King, CB.

6'3", long arms, ran almost a 4.4. Unreal size/speed ratio. Perfect corner for McDermott's defense. While I don't like the idea of drafting a corner at 10, trading down a couple times and adding, say, a 2nd and 3rd would make it palatable to me. I see both elite safeties being gone by our pick, and the value isn't necessarily there at 10 to draft an OLB. Then, with two 2nds, you can nab the best OLB and S left.

If a trade down can NOT be achieved, then draft:

Reuben Foster, LB.

The value may not be right on, but I think he could come in and complete our front seven and be our Will for the next 10 years. Size, speed, ferocity, built in report with Ragland, coverage ability. A safe pick with a high floor, in my opinion.

Edited by Logic

To me, OJ Howard seems like a no-brainer. Super-versatile receiving TE, who can also block well. They'd be getting a 6'6" #2 WR who can also help in line on the right side. When Alabama decided to use him, he shined against top competition. Super quick and gets great separation. The offense could really force defenses into bad situations with Sammy, Clay, Howard, and Shady on the field, along with Tyrod as an additional running threat.

After looking at the Bills depth for all positions, I believe the most glairing need based on depth is at OLB, with CB coming in at a close second, and DE coming in at a distant third. WR, Safety, and RT have a lot of depth, but still have question marks.

Within the draft, I really don't see a lot of depth at LB in the later rounds that would produce a possible day 1 starter. That would be my # 1 need since we have two starting OLBs that are career special teams aces. DB is stacked this year, and I believe we can find a day 1 starter / contributor in the later rounds. DE is set with their two starters, but lack serious depth in a scheme that requires a lot of subbing in and out. Fortunately there is some solid depth here as well that we can address in the later rounds as well. We have projected starters, and projected backups for WR, S, and RT, but seriously lack the guy we truly desire so I could see us making a play on either one of these positions early in the draft. With this being said, here is my prediction for the upcoming draft.

1-10: Trade to Browns for 1-12, 4-108, 5-175 (Browns take Deshaun Watson)

1-12: Bills take OLB Ha'ason Reddick (With his athleticism, he'll fit any scheme. I project him to play the "Will" but will rush the passer often)

2-44: Bills take TE Evan Engram (Will be primarily a move TE with Clay / O'Leary filling most blocking duties)

3-75: Bills take CB Shaquill Griffin (Could start day 1. Physical, long armed, tackling CB)

4-108: Bills take DE Dawuane Smoot (More of a run defending DE, but would be thrown in rotation immediately)

5-156: Bills take WR Robert Davis (Had a great combine, but lacked production in college. Will play a role on special teams)

5-171 Bills take CB Brian Allen (Another combine freak. Could push for playing time, but needs a lot of work)

5-175 Bills take WR Levonte "Kermit" Whitfield (Kermit provides insurance to Listenbee, and is also a great return man)

6-195 Bills take OL Jerry Ugokwe (McDermott likes this kids potential as well as the school he comes from)

Well there you have it. As you can see there are no QBs taken this year, but the Bills will surely add one via free agency after the draft. The Bills will also sign a few more pass rushers and LBs as well.

GO BILLS!

After looking at the Bills depth for all positions, I believe the most glairing need based on depth is at OLB, with CB coming in at a close second, and DE coming in at a distant third. WR, Safety, and RT have a lot of depth, but still have question marks.

Within the draft, I really don't see a lot of depth at LB in the later rounds that would produce a possible day 1 starter. That would be my # 1 need since we have two starting OLBs that are career special teams aces. DB is stacked this year, and I believe we can find a day 1 starter / contributor in the later rounds. DE is set with their two starters, but lack serious depth in a scheme that requires a lot of subbing in and out. Fortunately there is some solid depth here as well that we can address in the later rounds as well. We have projected starters, and projected backups for WR, S, and RT, but seriously lack the guy we truly desire so I could see us making a play on either one of these positions early in the draft. With this being said, here is my prediction for the upcoming draft.

1-10: Trade to Browns for 1-12, 4-108, 5-175 (Browns take Deshaun Watson)

1-12: Bills take OLB Ha'ason Reddick (With his athleticism, he'll fit any scheme. I project him to play the "Will" but will rush the passer often)

2-44: Bills take TE Evan Engram (Will be primarily a move TE with Clay / O'Leary filling most blocking duties)

3-75: Bills take CB Shaquill Griffin (Could start day 1. Physical, long armed, tackling CB)

4-108: Bills take DE Dawuane Smoot (More of a run defending DE, but would be thrown in rotation immediately)

5-156: Bills take WR Robert Davis (Had a great combine, but lacked production in college. Will play a role on special teams)

5-171 Bills take CB Brian Allen (Another combine freak. Could push for playing time, but needs a lot of work)

5-175 Bills take WR Levonte "Kermit" Whitfield (Kermit provides insurance to Listenbee, and is also a great return man)

6-195 Bills take OL Jerry Ugokwe (McDermott likes this kids potential as well as the school he comes from)

Well there you have it. As you can see there are no QBs taken this year, but the Bills will surely add one via free agency after the draft. The Bills will also sign a few more pass rushers and LBs as well.

GO BILLS!

I like Reddick, but Whaley has never used a 1st round selection on a player from a non-power 5 school, which makes me think Foster is the target if they stay put, and Cunningham if they trade down.

I like Reddick, but Whaley has never used a 1st round selection on a player from a non-power 5 school, which makes me think Foster is the target if they stay put, and Cunningham if they trade down.

McDermott will not sign off on Foster with his off-field antics. I do really like Foster though, but just don't see any "character issue" guys being drafted by us this year.

McDermott will not sign off on Foster with his off-field antics. I do really like Foster though, but just don't see any "character issue" guys being drafted by us this year.

Outside of an isolated incident at the combine, what antics are we talking about?

Outside of an isolated incident at the combine, what antics are we talking about?

That's all I know of, but see that as enough to pass in my opinion. If you can't act like a professional anywhere, especially in a place like the combine, then there is no place on my roster for guys like that.

What an incident, though... Sounds like an annoying person with potential to be a huge bust.

There were several people that came out and said basically not to make an excuse for him, but the medical day is incredibly long and frustrating. Especially when you're doing MRI's and the like. Seemed like those with more intimate knowledge of the process didn't condone, but understood.

There were several people that came out and said basically not to make an excuse for him, but the medical day is incredibly long and frustrating. Especially when you're doing MRI's and the like. Seemed like those with more intimate knowledge of the process didn't condone, but understood.

You have got to be kidding me? Your excuse for his behavior is that he had a long day? LMFAO!!!

Chad Kelly. Definitely worth a 5th round gamble. He has the chance to be a franchise QB. No other pick that late in the draft has the potential to make that much of an impact. Yes, I know he could go the other way. That's why it's called a gamble.

Agreed. Expecting the majority of positions to pan out from the 5th round on is a reach. However, Chad Kelly's issues were immaturity off the field and his current injuries. The talent IS there and he has debatably one of the strongest arms out of the QB crop this year. Let everyone else draft early on this bunch and take a shot at Chad. He will have the opportunity to sit back and learn. No pressure.

Hopefully a few teams reach on QB, we trade back in the first and take BPA.

You have got to be kidding me? Your excuse for his behavior is that he had a long day? LMFAO!!!

I'm more concerned with your reading comprehension than his combine incident. It's one incident. He's not had trouble off the field, with police, with guns, with girlfriends, all despite his family situation being much less than ideal. He surrounded himself with a support system he trusted and he is an incredible player.

We play the Pats twice a season and most teams win with solid defense, to ensure we have a solid rotation of great pass rushers draft DE Solomon Thomas from Stanford. Denver won a SB basically with QB management and a vicious pass rush... Draft Thomas then you have Williams/Dareus on the interior DL with Washington backing them up and Lawson/Hughes and Thomas in rotation at the ends. We don't have a franchise QB but we could have a dominant defense to make up for it, draft a CB in round 2 ( A guy like Moreau from UCLA, King or Lewis).