Make your case for drafting a player. I am 100% objective.

As some know, I don't follow college football. In fact I ignore it totally. The sum of 2016 college football I have watched is perhaps 10 minutes of game time. I have no team. I have no conference. College exists to provide NFL players, and all other discussion doesn't matter to me. For years, I have found that one can spend 3 hours attending to college football discussion, in college team terms, and learn nothing/end up exactly where the conversation began.

Thus, for me, college football, unless it pertains to the draft, is a waste of time.

Therefore, this is the 100% objective draft thread. Make your case. Show me something. Understand that I know stats quite well, so, please, avoid my annoyance and your embarrassment, in trying to play stat games.

I have 0 reason to doubt you, and I have 0 reason to believe you. I can't agree or disagree. All I can do is: be convinced.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OJ Howard, He fills the need for a WR but also give you mismatches and makes you less predictable. He is also predicted to go somewhere near the Bills pick so there is no reach. Basically they could run a lot of 12 or 22 personnel (2 TE's) with the option to motion Howard out after locking the defense into the personnel you want. Obviously running out of 12 and 22 will also be done. He also adds depth to TE which is a one (average) man show.

Bills fans are hyper focused on players who have WR next to their name but the name. But to me, a TE who has WR type of receiving skills who can also block is way better than having a WR. In fact, he can be used as a WR in 4 man sets like NE does with Gronk.

Edited by mattynh

Corey Davis, because opposite Sammy, he'll get alot of 1 on 1 coverage and hes as solid of a WR as there is in the draft. Having both those guys and Clay will take alot of pressure off of our run game. Mccoy, Incognito, and Taylor are all a year older and it stands to reason that they could easily take a step back this year unless we have a legit passing game.

As Whaley would say, hes a day 1 starter.

Corey Davis, because opposite Sammy, he'll get alot of 1 on 1 coverage and hes as solid of a WR as there is in the draft. Having both those guys and Clay will take alot of pressure off of our run game. Mccoy, Incognito, and Taylor are all a year older and it stands to reason that they could easily take a step back this year unless we have a legit passing game.

As Whaley would say, hes a day 1 starter.

I'm also for Davis. I think he's going to be a really special player, and will free up Sammy a lot. I've been advocating for a defensive back (Lattimore, Hooker, or Adams), but I think we will be able to get a good one in round 2.

Oh sure I'll bite.

Patrick Mahomes, QB Texas Tech, at #10.

We all know QB is the most important position in sports, and we have Tyrod Taylor as the place holder for this year and possibly next and then we can cut bait. This is NOT a place to debate whether TT is or isn't the guy. Even if he magically turns into Drew Brees overnight, wouldn't hurt to have a capable backup or some trade bait. Now is the time to address the most critical position in sports, with a guy who has the most electric arm I have seen since probably Favre.

He has big stats, he has highlight reel after highlight reel. And he has issues. He played in a "gimmick offense", he saw almost exclusively zone coverage so his reading of defense is lacking. He DID go through progressions, he has great pocket presence and is a leader on the field. His arm is a cannon. He can make every NFL throw (and off his back foot none the less, while falling away from the throw). He has the intangibles to match the arm. He has also played baseball at Tech, and now can focus solely on his football throwing motion.

Sure he has flaws, almost every prospect does. Draft him for his upside, and it's huge upside, it's franchise upside. Could he flop? Sure he could, what prospect that we would draft at 10 doesn't have that possibility? Drafting Mahomes and letting him sit and learn for a year or two, and fix his weaknesses (reading defenses, mechanics) behind TT will give him the best chance at success.

If you have the chance to draft someone who could stabilize and thrive at the most important position on your team, why would you pass that up? For a #2 WR (that may also flop)? For a LB (that may also flop)? For yet another defensive back (that may also flop)? All of those positions are luxuries in comparison to the QB spot.

Draft Mahomes at #10 for a true chance at sustained success, and maybe even a chance at building our own dynasty.

Edited by PaattMaann

Whassup OC! I hope all is well. :)

I would like to see them draft Watson, the qb from Clemson at #10. I wouldn't want them to move up because Whaley has already tossed numerous draft picks down the sewer.

If he is gone I would love to see a trade down. I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that the top 10 picks give teams an extra year with that player. If I am correct, a case can be made that top 10 picks are of high value.

So, I would trade down a max. of 10 spots and draft the bpa from the choices of OL, pass rusher, and wide receiver. If they think that a TE or LB is a great player and he is on the board, I would be ok with it.

That said, history tells us we will chase a corner to patch this huge hole we are supposed to have now that we are rid of Gilmore and his cap hit.

Whassup OC! I hope all is well. :)

I would like to see them draft Watson, the qb from Clemson at #10. I wouldn't want them to move up because Whaley has already tossed numerous draft picks down the sewer.

If he is gone I would love to see a trade down. I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that the top 10 picks give teams an extra year with that player. If I am correct, a case can be made that top 10 picks are of high value.

So, I would trade down a max. of 10 spots and draft the bpa from the choices of OL, pass rusher, and wide receiver. If they think that a TE or LB is a great player and he is on the board, I would be ok with it.

That said, history tells us we will chase a corner to patch this huge hole we are supposed to have now that we are rid of Gilmore and his cap hit.

I think all round 1 players get the extra year option Bill.... but as for your players choice and strategy if he is not there I am totally on board.

I think all round 1 players get the extra year option Bill.... but as for your players choice and strategy if he is not there I am totally on board.

I can't check that right now but I thought it was in the cba where they created the rookie spending limit. Again, I'm not sure.

I can't check that right now but I thought it was in the cba where they created the rookie spending limit. Again, I'm not sure.

All first round players have a 5th year option (the Bills exercised it with Gilmore and declined with EJ most recently).

In terms of this thread there are a handful of guys that you could make a pretty strong case for. I'll make a case for a guy that hasn't been mentioned - Malik Hooker. Hooker has consistently been compared to Ed Reed in terms of skill set. He is a crazy athlete and still a little raw. His range on the back end will cover other holes in the secondary. Hooker's ball skills and playmaking abilities are elite. Exhibit A:

Edited by Kirby Jackson

All first round players have a 5th year option (the Bills exercised it with Gilmore and declined with EJ most recently).

In terms of this thread there are a handful of guys that you could make a pretty strong case for. I'll make a case for a guy that hasn't been mentioned - Malik Hooker. Hooker has consistently been compared to Ed Reed in terms of skill set. He is a crazy athlete and still a little raw. His range on the back end will cover other holes in the secondary. Hooker's ball skills and playmaking abilities are elite. Exhibit A: https://youtu.be/q874pPJPu7M

Kirby, could this be what I was thinking of? Is this thought of to be good or bad for the team (not the player)?

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2016/4/20/11466728/2016-nfl-draft-just-how-valuable-is-the-fifth-year-option-for-first

IMO, these threads are more fun when we talk about Day 2-3 prospects, because they're the guys that teams need to convince themselves to draft.

So in that light, I'll throw out one of my favorite Day 2 prospects...

Every team should consider Howard Wilson, the cornerback from Houston, as solid starting material.

He has a coveted combination of size and length, and is an extremely fluid athlete (he finished 3rd amongst combine attendees in the 3-cone, and 2nd in short shuttle). He can flip his hips and pattern match in press, and shows excellent awareness and aggressiveness in off coverages. He has outstanding range and short-area quickness, so he can transition and close on underneath plays reliably, and he does--he's a very willing tackler.

Wilson also has very good ball skills--he's able to win in contested ball situations even against tough receivers. He was responsible for 7 takeaways as a senior.

If you don't have him on your board, then shame on you.

Howard. A guy that has all the skills and ability to be an All Pro for years to come. That's what you want in a #10 pick. And would allow Dennison to run a really effective 2 TE offense along with Clay.

I remember when Brandon Pettigrew was that guy.... and when Eric Ebron was that guy... and when Dustin Keller was that guy

You draft the highest rated player that is on your board at the time you draft regardless of need.

If you have groups of players that are all within the same grade range then you choose either:

A) the player at the position of most need OR

B) the player at the position with the highest drop-off between them and the next player at that position.