What are your top 5 tv shows of all time ?

never heard of the wire

True detective season one was fantastic, totally ruined season two, how did they screw up a good show ??

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I can't believe there is not one mention of The Walking Dead. I just couldn't get into the whole zombie thing but it seems popular.

If you don't have HBO, do yourself a favor and borrow or steal someone's HBO Go login and go watch The Wire. It might be a tad outdated with the pagers and old flip phones, but it doesn't matter. It's an incredible journey through various aspects of crime/police/politics/school in Baltimore with some of the best characters in television.

Tier 1

Seinfeld
The Wire
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Unfortunately the consistency starts to drop in later seasons, but there are still fantastic episodes)
Tier 2
The Office
Parks and Rec
30 Rock
Archer
Arrested Development
Fargo
True Detective (Season 1)
Game of Thrones
The Simpsons (early seasons)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have HBO, do yourself a favor and borrow or steal someone's HBO Go login and go watch The Wire. It might be a tad outdated with the pagers and old flip phones, but it doesn't matter. It's an incredible journey through various aspects of crime/police/politics/school in Baltimore with some of the best characters in television.

Wire is on Amazon , free with Prime

Tier 1

Seinfeld
The Wire
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Unfortunately the consistency starts to drop in later seasons, but there are still fantastic episodes)
Tier 2
The Office
Parks and Rec
30 Rock
Archer
Arrested Development
Fargo
True Detective (Season 1)
Game of Thrones
The Simpsons (early seasons)

I thought last year's season (I haven't seen the most recent one) was excellent. Charlie invoking Bird Law was side-splitting.

The pagers were outdated even when the show was on air. That was part of the plot - Drug dealers being disciplined enough to still use pagers and pay phones.

And as for the flip phones, I actually just upgraded from my flip phone a few monyhs ago, so I resent that flip phone comment! lol j/k I know they're outdated. but I really did just upgrade cause my flip phone finally took a crap on me. It was going to be th same price to get a new flip phone as it was for a smart phone, so I finally got one, but I avoided those smart phones as long as I could...

Did you ever watch the HBO mini series "The Corner"? It's set in Baltimore and was written by one of the guys who helped with The Wire. Well worth watching. I think you can find it on YouTube.

I have thought about my list too much since posting it and have decided that I need to post my second list. There's too many good shows I didn't mention.

I'll consider it a top 10 in no particular order.

Master of None

Flaked

-those two only have one season currently out so things could change there

Chef's Table (including the France one)

Impractical Jokers

South Park

On the British show talk, I agree with row_33. I find it hard to understand what is being said a lot of the times. I find the premise of the shows that others have mentioned interesting but cannot understand enough of what is being said to get into the show. I'll keep trying to watch them though.

Chappelle's Show and Key and Peele deserve to be on the list too. OK, I'm done now. Maybe.

Edited by Marcellosaurus

Game of Thrones

The Wire

The Sopranos

M*A*S*H*

Battlestar Galactica - the original (just kidding)

Honorable mentions:

Cheers

Fringe

Taxi

Maybe top 5 if they had fulfilled their mythology/arc: Lost, Firefly, X-Files

The Americans

Downton Abbey

Doesn't qualify as a show really, but it is close, and certainly is high enough quality to warrant an honorable mention: The Night Manager

I don't know if it's in my top 5, but I have been DVR-ing the hell out of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. It's on 2x a day M-F on the Decades channel that Comcast carries. I loved it as a kid, some of the jokes are very dated, but there's still a lot of laughs. :thumbsup:

I don't know if it's in my top 5, but I have been DVR-ing the hell out of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. It's on 2x a day M-F on the Decades channel that Comcast carries. I loved it as a kid, some of the jokes are very dated, but there's still a lot of laughs. :thumbsup:

I with they had a channel that replayed all of the Carol Burnett Show.