What are your top 5 tv shows of all time ?

Top 5 TV shows of all time?? A great (and impossible) topic. KD has a point, half hour comedies and hour long dramas have little in common and probably should be their own categories. I'm almost tempted to say the same about cable and network shows because those are different beasts as well. Tom also had a point about how much to weigh the historical impact of a show... and there's also the issue of how to classify a show which had a couple great seasons but ended poorly.

I'll have to think on it a bit more before committing my list to digital ink. But I'm surprised it's been 4 pages and there hasn't been a single Arrested Development mention -- but conversely, I'm glad MST3K is getting so much love.

what is this ?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 5 TV shows of all time?? A great (and impossible) topic. KD has a point, half hour comedies and hour long dramas have little in common and probably should be their own categories. I'm almost tempted to say the same about cable and network shows because those are different beasts as well. Tom also had a point about how much to weigh the historical impact of a show... and there's also the issue of how to classify a show which had a couple great seasons but ended poorly.

I'll have to think on it a bit more before committing my list to digital ink. But I'm surprised it's been 4 pages and there hasn't been a single Arrested Development mention -- but conversely, I'm glad MST3K is getting so much love.

what is this ?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=MST3K

I watched it a year or so after it ended. Definitely worth a look. I didn't buy into the hype at first, but I should have.

Definitely going to check it out..

Where have you been man? Be careful. S1E6 is when I got hooked.

lol... Will start it soon...

really want to watch this but I'm not paying amazon to do it.

wow, Amazon Prime may be the absolute best value ever in the history of mankind! Okay, that may be a bit of hyperbole, but still.

Free delivery on practically anything in the world you need, free music service, free video...and they will just continue to add to it. All for less than $9 month!!!!

Firefly

Star Trek

Battlestar Galactica (Season 1-2.5)

Seinfeld

Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour

I consider Firefly to be more of a miniseries given its premature cancellation.

Bugs and Road Runner wasn't really a series so much as a compilation of shorts that had mostly already been seen in theatres. Still great stuff :thumbsup:

:oops::bag::beer:

I knew you had good taste.

62fef0e19b8e8f82c7a8919ea0412ef2.jpg

Loved this show.

Can't wait to see how the Netflix version will turn out. Patton Oswalt looks like he could be the son of TV's Frank, and Felicia Day as Dr. Forrester's daughter is so delicious.

This might be worthy of it's own thread, but for those who loved MST3K, what do you think was the worst movie they ever spoofed? I'm sure a lot of fans will say "Manos: The Hands of Fate", and they would be justified with that pick. It would be fun to decide that.

I consider Firefly to be more of a miniseries given its premature cancellation.

Bugs and Road Runner wasn't really a series so much as a compilation of shorts that had mostly already been seen in theatres. Still great stuff :thumbsup:

I get what you mean about Firefly. Otherwise I would have also added "Pushing Daisies" to my list of all-time favorites.

I also don't consider Bugs Bunny/Road Runner as an original show either. Although they do have that great opening "Overture" song by Bugs & Daffy. Looney Toons were the best cartoons.

Loved this show.

Can't wait to see how the Netflix version will turn out. Patton Oswalt looks like he could be the son of TV's Frank, and Felicia Day as Dr. Forrester's daughter is so delicious.

This might be worthy of it's own thread, but for those who loved MST3K, what do you think was the worst movie they ever spoofed? I'm sure a lot of fans will say "Manos: The Hands of Fate", and they would be justified with that pick. It would be fun to decide that.

I got to say Red Zone Cuba or Invasion of the Neptune Men. The latter was so freaking terrible that even MST3k couldn't save it.

I got to say Red Zone Cuba or Invasion of the Neptune Men. The latter was so freaking terrible that even MST3k couldn't save it.

Yeah, those two are really bad. I think MST3K did all of the Coleman Francis directed movies.

Invasion of the Neptune Men, is a painful one to sit through.

A couple that I would add would be, Monster A Go-Go, and Ring of Terror. Monster in particular is so ridiculous, but Joel & the bots do a good job with it. Ring is just so boring.

Tom, Tom, Tom. You are the last person I expected to misuse "literally".

I didn't. Desi Arnaz insisted on using film and film production techniques instead of kinescope or electronicam. Doing so resulted in the creation of reruns, syndication, and the 3-camera sound stage with multiple sets and a live audience that was the fundamental production technique of every TV show - and particularly every sitcom - up until the late-90s. I Love Lucy was the TV show that firmly broke television from its vaudeville and radio roots and "brought motion pictures into the home" so to speak.

Not to mention it dominated the ratings for its run (#1 four of five seasons, #2 the fifth.) And spawned Desilu studios, which created a bunch of other popular shows (e.g. Star Trek) before becoming Paramount's TV vehicle.

Yeah, I'd say it's easily a "top 5" show, and literally invented modern television. It really is stunning, what that show accomplished.

Its hard for me to do a top 5 as I don't tend to rank shows, just know whether I thought they were really good. Surprised there is no mention of House, I thought the first few seasons were great

House was a very good show

Yeah, those two are really bad. I think MST3K did all of the Coleman Francis directed movies.

Invasion of the Neptune Men, is a painful one to sit through.

A couple that I would add would be, Monster A Go-Go, and Ring of Terror. Monster in particular is so ridiculous, but Joel & the bots do a good job with it. Ring is just so boring.

I think thats why Manos is not a bad episode...JATB really go to town, especially when Torgo shows up.

One of my favorites is San Francisco International starring Pernell Roberts. The last few scenes with Davy is an example of the very best of MST3K.