What are your top 5 tv shows of all time ?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. All in the Family. Turn on an episode today and it's still hysterical and relevant. There was nothing like it on television and there still isn't.

2. The Sopranos. The show that revolutionized modern television and gave birth to virtually every great non-network show that followed. Hail.

3. The Wire. Sharp, relevant, thought provoking. Amazing writing and a level of grit that has yet to be matched.

4. Seinfeld. "A Show about Nothing" managed to be hilarious for its entire run. A terrific cast, led by a comedian who couldn't act at all.

5. NYPD Blue. Incredibly controversial, especially in the early years. Brought nudity and profanity to network television while telling great stories. Like the Sopranos, everything that came after it owes NYPD Blue a debt of gratitude.

Honorable Mentions:

Deadwood, The Shield, Rescue Me, M*A*S*H, Star Trek, and "The Larry Sanders Show".

Star Trek (franchise)

South Park

The Simpsons

Twilight Zone

Sesame Street

i didm't even look at yours before typing, but eerily similar to mine, sans andy griffith and breaking bad

breaking bad is only ony there because its the only show created in the last 20 years i am interested in.

Andy Griffith and the Dick Van Dyke Show are shows that will always stand the test of time....brilliant shows that would probably sit atop the ratings if they were current shows.

i didm't even look at yours before typing, but eerily similar to mine, sans andy griffith and breaking bad

breaking bad is only ony there because its the only show created in the last 20 years i am interested in.

Monty Python was ruined by those mediocre splashbergers people who think they are witty if they yell out parts of sketches. That describes 100 percent of people who do this, nobody does it good... can they a least try the Dirty Vicar sketch?

Not one mention of I Love Lucy? Every other show (save The Honeymooners) wouldn't even exist without I Love Lucy. It literally invented modern television.

Tom, Tom, Tom. You are the last person I expected to misuse "literally".

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

Not one mention of I Love Lucy? Every other show (save The Honeymooners) wouldn't even exist without I Love Lucy. It literally invented modern television.

That is like saying a flat stone is a top appliance because it was used for cooking first. I liked I Love Lucy but it is not top 5 IMO; I'd watch it maybe if it was on TV in waiting room.

Lucy and Bob Hope didn't strike the funny bone of people born after 1960. Curly and Harpo Marx will be funny to us childish men for another 1,000 years.

Loved Bob Hope but I am on the border being born in 1961.

I liked Lucy but not she was as good as some think.

M*A*S*H

The Dick Van Dyke Show

Lost

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Supernatural

Honorable mentions: 24, The Transformers, Beast Wars, Angel, Person of Interest, WKRP in Cincinnati, Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Edited by Mark Vader