Some Thoughts As EJ Walks Out The Door

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I will remember about EJ's time in Buffalo:

His comeback against the Panthers in the home opener of his rookie season.

His picture perfect handoffs to Fred Jackson.

His beautiful touchdown pass to JJ Watt.

His 7 TD performance against the Jaguars in London.

I own 10,000 shares of EJMLL. :censored:

Please share your fondest EJ memories.

I don;t mean to LOL, but I couldn't help it. :P People actually bought those shares (besides his mom and dad)?? :blink:

Who can forget his hard count that left the Jets rolling on the turf, laughing?

Except all the people who insist that we have to lose to draft a QB as high as possible.

Which is an embarrassing number of people here.

I'm not embarrassed to feel last years was a waste and putting C.Jones in with a month to go would have been prudent.

I'm not embarrassed to admit to not liking the Orton pick because it assured us of mediocrity.

I'm embarrassed that every year a ridiculous amount of posters on here suggest " statistically we still have a chance" when it's all over but the shouting.

@TheBillsWire

Entire 2013 NFL draft class for Bills is now gone: https://t.co/raU0jhTrIc

What will we do without duke williams and goodwin? What a disaster...

Didn't he get like 4 million from that deal or something liek that?

I prefer to do so in a new EJ is leaving the Bills thread...

Great post. The subject of player development rarely gets discussed but is one of the most important parts of an organization in my opinion.

Agreed. However, it's only a part of the equation. The make-up of the individual player is absolutely critical. There are so many examples of players with talent who just didn't have the fire, determination, adaptability, and/or intelligence, no matter how well they were coached, to succeed. Anyone for Walt Patulski or Mike Williams?

Agreed with pretty much everything you said. It's really too bad EJ never worked out in buffalo to your first point. Very likeable guy. Just not cut out to be an NFL starter i dont believe, and plus was put in a position where it was impossible to succeed

First off, not defending EJ at this point. A great guy with catastrophic accuracy/footwork issues - I wish him all the best in Oakland.

However, I think there are some lessons to be learned as we think about the future of the Bills at the QB position.

- There has not been a consensus stud QB coming out of the draft since 2012 with Andrew Luck. I don't mean that there have not been good QBs (Winston, Mariota, Carr, probably Garoppolo), but all have come with faults and the NFL intelligence community has been divided on them. The college ranks are producing guys that need significant development.

- This speaks to the need to have a coherent offensive philosophy and in-house coaching that has a realistic ability/track record to take a young QB from point A to point B. Everyone knew the Bills needed a QB in 2013, all the available QBs were project-type guys, EJ probably did have the best physical tools, but there was absolutely no reason to think that Marrone-Hackett had the capacity to mould a young QB. What a waste of a pick to put into the hands of those guys. The kid never looked better than his first two games.

- Some fans talk like drafting 1st round QBs is a quick fix. There is no quick fix and we need an in-house infrastructure that can actually prove that it can develop a QB to a competent level. That is why I'm eager to see Cardale this summer - whatever his future ends up being. He is a moldable player that could demonstrate our current staff's ability to develop.

Huge, slightly inaccurate generalization: If you have Arm Strength, Decision Making, and Accuracy, you are a top five pick. If you have Arm Strength, and decent hope for the other two, you are a first round pick and usually are worth less than your draft pick. If you have arm strength and doubts about the other two you are a later round pick. If you have the other two but questionable arm strength you are Drew Brees/Tom Brady, you exceed your draft slot.

EJ definitely paid the price for a lot of the turmoil and stuff, and didn't quite get a fair shake, but at the time of his draft, he was a question mark on accuracy, and a question mark on decision making, which makes him not really a first round pick. He proved those doubters (and most NFL team rankings of him) right, but never improving those two qualities enough to be an NFL QB. I'm not sure what Oakland is hoping for, but clipboard and keeping your starting QB healthy, and EJ seems like a good dude.

His final press conference, when he said "Sometimes you buy a house..."

Oh, wait, that was Losman. These first-round busts all run together after a while.

Guy posts something thoughtful and well written and the best you can do is say "Search function".

Thanks for the contribution.

Imagine finding your own opinions of a bum QB so important, you feel they deserve their own thread rather than being posted in the thread about said bum QB.

Guy posts something thoughtful and well written and the best you can do is say "Search function".

Thanks for the contribution.

Follow the rules hippie

You're not special

The 2 Holmes threads, 2 EJ threads and 15 Taylor threads are fun though

Edited by Ryan L Billz

In the off-season of 2013 the Bills handled their QB situation poorly. Kolb was signed as the veteran stop gap but the team probably should have been more aggressive in the market finding other options as far as having a pair of competent veteran QB's. Maybe had the team got a couple of Kyle Orton type QB's they would have been more comfortable at the position enough to not feel like they had to get a QB in the draft. The made an excellent trade down to pick up an extra 2nd round pick and they could have gotten a lot of talented players at pick 16. Instead the team felt compelled to reach for EJ since they needed a QB.

EJ wasn't the right player and it wasn't the right time. EJ probably would have been best suited to play behind a talented veteran QB for 2-3 years. Learn the game slowly spend years working on footwork and mastering a system. EJ has the work ethic, the smarts, and the physical tools he just lacked the technique and footwork to be successful in the pros. Had he been in a good spot after being drafted maybe he could have worked out. But the Bills were not that spot, at best they maybe could have sat him for a year but they were forced to go with EJ early and the results showed.