Malcolm Butler wants out of New England

Seriously? I'm conflicted. He seems to be good in free agency and horrible in drafting. Seems smart, but then he champions EJ.

So I really have no clue.

Seems like Whaley does a good job analyzing defensive positions in the draft and free agency but cannot figure out offensive talent to save his life. Case and point moving up to draft Sammy in a WR loaded draft and the EJ debacle. Also Bryce Brown, Mike Williams... etc.

But some of the trades he's pulled has saved his a**. Hughes for Sheppard alone gave him a longer leash.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian Rapoport Retweeted

35m

Jeff Howe‏ @jeffphowe

All that said, I was given a strong indication Butler prefers to be a "Patriot for life." He wants to make it work in New England.

Not going to happen. Gilmore already is a 13 mill cap eating space nugget. Pats don't usually pay full market once, let alone twice.

Edited by cba fan

Another example at how ruthless BB can be. When people say "We should be more like the Patriots", this is the kind of stuff that only Belichick can pull of.

Butler has improved year after year, working his way up as an UDFA. He alone guaranteed them a Super Bowl. He's clearly a top tier corner and by all accounts is a great teammate and professional. He deserves a quality contract, so what do the Patriots do? Pay more for an inferior player in Gilmore and low ball him on a new contract. Of course he's going to be frustrated.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Ian Rapoport Retweeted

35m

Jeff Howe‏ @jeffphowe

All that said, I was given a strong indication Butler prefers to be a "Patriot for life." He wants to make it work in New England.

Of course he's going to say/indicate that. But seeing someone like Gilmore getting $13M/year when he was offered half that amount is a slap in the face.

The Gilmore deal is still surprising to me. BB never overpays like that, and Gilmore doesn't seem like his kind of guy. Really makes you wonder.

other thing I thought was odd (maybe only to me) was that reportedly the deal went down very quickly. Gilmore didn't learn of NE's interest until that very morning and then a deal was done immediately. No visit, and the only other team he's even talked to was Chicago. I'd assume his agent did a ton of pre-vetting on this at the combine but if it's true that NE came out of the blue on Friday, and he jumped (didn't get his full asking price either) just seems odd to me. Unless he's just always wanted to play for them. But he doesn't strike me as a "win at all costs" type guy. He seemed like a "biggest payday" type guy. Obviously I don't know him personally and this is all mere outside observation, and pats were simply the biggest offer. Edited by YoloinOhio

Belicheat is Benjamin Linus.

He's an evil manipulative liar, yet everyone still tries to make deals with him.

I think you are just plain LOST! (wink)

other thing I thought was odd (maybe only to me) was that reportedly the deal went down very quickly. Gilmore didn't learn of NE's interest until that very morning and then a deal was done immediately. No visit, and the only other team he's even talked to was Chicago. I'd assume his agent did a ton of pre-vetting on this at the combine but if it's true that NE came out of the blue on Friday, and he jumped (didn't get his full asking price either) just seems odd to me. Unless he's just always wanted to play for them. But he doesn't strike me as a "win at all costs" type guy. He seemed like a "biggest payday" type guy. Obviously I don't know him personally and this is all mere outside observation, and pats were simply the biggest offer.

Could Gilmore be used as a trade? i.e. never actually play for NE?

other thing I thought was odd (maybe only to me) was that reportedly the deal went down very quickly. Gilmore didn't learn of NE's interest until that very morning and then a deal was done immediately. No visit, and the only other team he's even talked to was Chicago. I'd assume his agent did a ton of pre-vetting on this at the combine but if it's true that NE came out of the blue on Friday, and he jumped (didn't get his full asking price either) just seems odd to me. Unless he's just always wanted to play for them. But he doesn't strike me as a "win at all costs" type guy. He seemed like a "biggest payday" type guy. Obviously I don't know him personally and this is all mere outside observation, and pats were simply the biggest offer.

It seems obvious to me. He simply wanted to leave( I thought that from the onset) , the Pats paid close to his asking price, and the Pats will win regardless of how well he plays. Top it off with getting to play BUF twice a year and rub their nose in it. A perfect turn of events for Steph.

It seems obvious to me. He simply wanted to leave( I thought that from the onset) , the Pats paid close to his asking price, and the Pats will win regardless of how well he plays. Top it off with getting to play BUF twice a year and rub their nose in it. A perfect turn of events for Steph.

I have no doubt he wanted to leave. I also have no doubt the Bills were ok with that given they only offered him 10.5/yr. I simply figured he would have more interest in checking out other teams as well before signing. Perhaps Pats were the best offer he would get? I thought he'd get more than 13 actually. I don't think he cares about how often he plays the Bills, but that's jmo.

... or maybe he's a win at all costs once he actually gets his big payday kind of guy.

... or maybe he's a win at all costs once he actually gets his big payday kind of guy.

;)

It's probably just me but I always pictured him going somewhere like Tennessee or NO. Maybe it's the southern drawl.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Seriously? I'm conflicted. He seems to be good in free agency and horrible in drafting. Seems smart, but then he champions EJ.

So I really have no clue.

Fair assessment. I don't necessarily think he's horrible in drafting. Changing schemes every two years can have an effect on how players fit. The ej pick was a failure 100% but it just seemed as if we were going to draft the top qb on our board no matter what that season. It just so happened to be the worst qb class ever. He was able to trade down and acquire more picks in doing so. whether or not he can get a franchise qb will inevitably be his legacy, as is with most gms. Tyrod is a good place holder but probably will never be "the man" imo

Butler is not going anywhere....I can't picture any team giving up a 1st round pick and paying him a top 10 CB salary....He'll play in NE at the $3.91 Million tender...his only leverage is to hold out, but I can't picture him passing on almost 4 million....

Butler is not going anywhere....I can't picture any team giving up a 1st round pick and paying him a top 10 CB salary....He'll play in NE at the $3.91 Million tender...his only leverage is to hold out, but I can't picture him passing on almost 4 million....

Man, that is going to sting - playing across from a guy you think you're better than, who is getting paid almost $10 million more.

Man, that is going to sting - playing across from a guy you think you're better than, who is getting paid almost $10 million more.

True....hopefully, he's frustrated and not giving the famous 110% this coming year....but I assume BB is good at spotting the lack of effort....

Can restricted free agentd hold out for any part of the season and still get a year towards free agency?

I would venture to say no, but I'm not sure....

If the Bills sign him, they'd essentially be trading Gilmore and a first round pick for Butler. If Whaley did that, he not only should be fired, he should be shot.

As long as the bullet goes thru first I am okay with that.

Belichick playing chess while everyone else plays checkers.

Whaley playing tic tac toe... :D

You sound like tiddlywink expert.

I guess Pats are frustrated with his agent. He is not a sports agent, never did it, and refers to the negotiation as an "interest". He wants Pats to void Butlers last year of his rookie for a big contract now. Not happening

Actually, didn;t he sign a one year $4m for 2017

Edited by MarkyMannn

I guess Pats are frustrated with his agent. He is not a sports agent, never did it, and refers to the negotiation as an "interest". He wants Pats to void Butlers last year of his rookie for a big contract now. Not happening

Actually, didn;t he sign a one year $4m for 2017

he hasn't signed his tender yet. But yes it's 3.9 mill.

If the Bills sign him, they'd essentially be trading Gilmore and a first round pick for Butler. If Whaley did that, he not only should be fired, he should be shot.

I see what you're saying but it's not accurate.

We drafted Gilmore and got a few good years out of him on a rookie contract. It worked out well for us. But that contract has expired and he's decided to walk.

We're not effectively trading Gilmore. You can only trade players under contract. If we traded for Butler, we'd have to give up something of value to receive something of value. Gilmore is irrelevant to the conversation.

@jeffphowe

Patriots told Butler last season they wouldn't pay a CB more than $10M annually, so the Gilmore contract was definitely a gut punch.

This seems odd; the Pats paid Revis $12M for the 2014 season and next season they will be paying a safety (McCourty) over $10M annually.

The Gilmore deal is still surprising to me. BB never overpays like that, and Gilmore doesn't seem like his kind of guy. Really makes you wonder.

more oddness. He named his baby, born the day he signed with the Pats, after Brady's wife

@mikereiss

Asked him about the name and he relayed it is Gisele. His wife's name is Gabrielle. They were looking for a name that started with "G".

He isn't as good as Gilmore

He is better then Gilmore because he knows how to tackle. Gilmore plays NFL football like its flag football. Not sure why people are so bent out of shape over letting Gilmore go. He will get torched often playing for the Patriots. Just like he did playing for the Bills.

He is better then Gilmore because he knows how to tackle. Gilmore plays NFL football like its flag football. Not sure why people are so bent out of shape over letting Gilmore go. He will get torched often playing for the Patriots. Just like he did playing for the Bills.

Gilmore wasn't returning to Buffalo, didn't care about Rex's train wreck. Wasn't going to sacrafrice himself for the **** team we are and were.

Watch him in ne* all things equal there. He will be better.

Gilmore wasn't returning to Buffalo, didn't care about Rex's train wreck. Wasn't going to sacrafrice himself for the **** team we are and were.

He will be about the same. Just will be seen in a different light because the team will win. I for one, won't watch him or any other player in NE.

You're going to skip watching the 2 games vs NE ? That seems a bit extreme....

Those are the only ones I consider watching, and even then only watched the 1st game last year w/o Brady. There can't be a matchup less worth watching live over the last 12-13 years. Other games involving NE, I'll just check the score occasionally. Yes, Iwatched the SB, with the thought that I'd likely bail at halftime.

....not much you can do about it...Peters wanted out and his late agent Parker got him to the Eagles......Lynch wanted out as well....just like playing lights out in your contract year, landing a MEGA deal and then coasting in "Fat Albert neutral"......nature of the business........

@pfcentral

I can confirm four teams have contacted New England about dealing their first round pick for Malcolm Butler. One team is in AFC East.

Biggest holdup? Giving up their 1st and having to pay such a lucrative contract .

Well duh

Edited by YoloinOhio