Philly Brown signed

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has done well with fa's in general. Some of the more panicky comments here mirror what we heard about lorax and brown last year.

No doubt. What Whaley lacks in 1st round picks, he makes up for with FA steals and player trades.

This is how teams get built. Not every pickup is a bolder headline and topic on pti.

Draft a wr in the 1st and we suddenly look okay at wr. Add a guy like Aiken or Wright on top of that, and we're actually deep at wr.

Gotta give the offseason more than a week.

Good points. I fully expect to see a WR early in the draft, and probably another in the later rounds.

I don't think many teams are happy with every position right now.

And let not forget this draft is deep at both of our biggest needs (DB/WR).

I think the unspoken word was "good."

He is good for what he is. Depth and ST's. A #3. They have to fill out an entire roster. Every player is not a starter and every starter is not an All-Pro. He's young, has been durable and productive, has started a lot of games, has playoff experience and comes cheap. All good for competition purposes.

Edited by purple haze

Also he was the WR2 on a team that went to the Super Bowl. Pretty sure he's good enough to play WR for the Bills.

Newton was unconscious that year. Tough to make that comparison with Taylor.

Also, I'm not sure about #2 on that team...even after Benjamin went down they had Cotchery, Funchess, Ginn not to mention Olsen...he was like the 5th option IIRC.

Newton was unconscious that year. Tough to make that comparison with Taylor.

Also, I'm not sure about #2 on that team...even after Benjamin went down they had Cotchery, Funchess, Ginn not to mention Olsen...he was like the 5th option IIRC.

He was WR2. Gin was WR1. Cotchery only started 3 games. Brown started 11. Olsen got the majority of the targets but he was a TE. Funchess was a hybrid TE/WR. Brown and Ginn were the two main WRs. They went to the TE a lot. It was not a strong WR cast, but they won anyway. I don't expect him to fill that role here but he's certainly good enough to be on the team. Edited by YoloinOhio

Is there anything wrong with getting clear upgrades to players that leave via free agency or that are marginal in terms of talent/ability? Filling holes is fine, but substituting guys on one or two year deals to play significant roles is not how you build a strong foundation, particularly if they are weaker players than the players they are replacing. Do we really have such a strong core group of players in terms of talent such that all we need are guys like Brown, Ducasse and Tolbert to be temporary plug players? Does not seem that way to me, and I am not sure I understand the overall plan for the team.

Wasn't tendered as an RFA so doesn't count against the comp pick formula.

Are you certain about this? This was the first ? I had when he signed.

Because he only has 3 seasons accrued I believe your right. I think you need to have a 4 seasons to technically be considered a UFA.

Are you certain about this? This was the first ? I had when he signed.

Because he only has 3 seasons accrued I believe your right. I think you need to have a 4 seasons to technically be considered a UFA.

I've seen it backed up by a couple of people that I trust on these matters. Exactly how the rule is worded is beyond me but I believe it's right.

https://twitter.com/MrJeffHunter/status/841031003007246337

And I'd link our Bills Wire Slack group if I could :D

Edited by Blokestradamus

The fact is this: With the number of players the Bills have on their roster, they HAVE to sign a bunch of players. The draft alone will not provide enough players to field a 90 man roster at camp.

Furthermore, with the amount of money the Bills have, and given the simple realities of roster building in the NFL, not every player signed is going to be a star or even a starter.

To field a complete football team, you need depth, special teams players, 4th wide receivers...in short, you need JAGs. It should come as no surprise and should upset no one that some of the players the Bills sign will be very average players, 3rd string quality guys.

On top of those very simple realities, it is also true that Doug Whaley has had far more free agent hits than he has had misses. Nobody last year was very excited about Lorenzo Alexander or Ryan Groy, and I'm sure no one the year before was very excited about Gillislee. You simply never know how a player will perform in a new system, with new coaches, in a new environment (case in point, Alexander's 12.5 sacks in year 1 of being a Bill).

The whining and eye-rolling any time the Bills sign someone other than "favorite star player X" is silly, short sighted, and based on an unrealistic view of NFL roster building.

All that being said, welcome to Buffalo, Philly Brown. May your 20 catches a year and special teams contributions be worth the tiny amount of money the Bills spent on you.